Question for Ex-Christians and non-maintream Christian Culture type Christians - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! New here. Glad to be here. I'm a homeschooling mom and I am just fed up with the Christian homeschooling message boards being dominated by Christians. Glad to see this site had homeschool boards!

Here's my question. Why do you call yourself an "ex-Christian"? What do you believe or don't believe now?

See I am completely done with mainstream Christianity, Christain Culture and going to church. But I don't want to call myself and "ex-Christian". I am not completly comfortable with that. I believe in God, that He is The Creator, Jesus and that He died (for our sins? I'm questioning some of this now. Not denying but questioning why this had to happen this way) and rose from the dead.

However, I no longer believe in Hell. (MartinZender.com, gospelfortoday.org)

I think the differences in theology just among the Christians themselves is dowright comical. I'm a bit punchy from all the reading I've done on theology. I've just come to the point where I can't even take it all seriously anymore. I just have to laugh at the absurbity of it all.

I think there are provisions for people of different faiths. I still believe Jesus is the "only way" to God and heaven but I think everyone will get to Jesus when God allows it. And that includes getting to Jesus after death. I don't believe that once we die our fate is sealed. Jesus = eternal life and no Jesus = burning in hell. Nope - don't believe that anymore. Actually never really did in my heart of hearts but that's what I was taught. Thanks to the Internet for all the alternative info out there!!!! Now people can do their own research.

My husbands been reading the Concordant Literal Translation of the Bible with commentary by A.E. Knoch and we are beginning to believe that we don't even have the whole story within the Bible! We not longer see the Bible as some neat little perfect package that is the total (God didn't reveal everything to us) Word of God. Nor do we believe it's flawless anymore.

So basically what do you ex-Christians believe and don't believe? And what should I call myself????!! If I say I am a Christian people will conjer up a typical Christian in their minds (not me). I thought of calling myself a "Post-Modern Christian" but again, then I'm not totally in line with them either. Then I though a "Universalist Christian" which I learned at Gospelfortoday.org. But I just hate to say the word "Christian." Uggh. Terrible of me isn't it? But I don't want to be labeled a Christian because I am not like the typical modern day Christian in my beliefs but yet in some way I am (i.e., Creationist)

I could say "follower of Jesus" but what does that really mean? People can get their dander up over the name of Jesus and they associate it with Christianity.

I guess there is just no label for me. But I'm curious if any of you are like me (still have some typical Christian beliefs - but totally not a mainstream Christian) what do you call yourselves?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 05:15 AM

A BIL of mine called himself a "follower of Christ" because although he was totally into Jesus he was not totally into Christianity (if that makes since). It sounds like you have alot of the same beliefs as he does... but the word "Christian" has such a bad note to him. He trys to live by the teachings of Christ and how he sees the bible and not by what some one else tells him to think.
Ok so my 2 cents. LOL :LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Banned

I am a Christian, IOW, I believe in Jesus and am trying to be like Him.

I am done with Christian culture and I think it's warped the Christian message and has misrepresented Jesus to others.

I cannot relate to Christian homeschoolers. When I was hs'ing my kiddos I was outcasted from the in little christian groupies (the only show in homeschooling around here) because I wasn't hs'ing their way. Funny, my grown children are the most advanced academically and socially/morally so they can pound sand.

Why am I so snarky I am not even pmsing??!!

DB
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree
A BIL of mine called himself a "follower of Christ" because although he was totally into Jesus he was not totally into Christianity (if that makes since).
Yep makes perfect sense and describes me as well. Some of us just want Jesus...

To the OP: There isn't one right way to be a Christian, or to know and have a relationship with Jesus. You can just say that you "have a relationship with Jesus" and leave it at that when asked? Or if they press on then you could explain that though you love and follow Jesus you do not feel that the term Christian describes what you are well enough and so you do not use it. Maybe that would work?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 07-06-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
To the OP: There isn't one right way to be a Christian, or to know and have a relationship with Jesus. You can just say that you "have a relationship with Jesus" and leave it at that when asked? Or if they press on then you could explain that though you love and follow Jesus you do not feel that the term Christian describes what you are well enough and so you do not use it. Maybe that would work?

Thanks but really these types of statments raise all kinds of red flags to the mainstream churchgoing Christian. Since I am not a church goer I get the "do not forsake the gathering of yourselves" speech and the trite comment that "no church is perfect". And church going is huge deal where I live. You can't go to Traget without hearing people talking about what church they go to and what activities they have. Personally I think most Christians go for the social club/activities than for God but that's another story.

Unfortunately I have found there is just no way to associate with these types of Christians and I have just accepted that and while I will not totally give up on them (there may a few that may understand) I need to really limit my time with people who just don't get it and who really don't want to even try to get it. For my own mental health - ya know?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Quote:
"do not forsake the gathering of yourselves"
Can be rebutted with...

Quote:
"I am the light that is over everything, I am the All; the All has gone forth from me, and to me the All has returned. Split (a piece of) wood; I am there. Lift up a stone, and you will find me there."
Course, if you say that to a minister they are going to go "AAHH!! Apocrypha!!" and leave you alone anyways. :LOL

Church is mostly for fellowship anyways IMO.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 PM

"I am done with Christian culture and I think it's warped the Christian message and has misrepresented Jesus to others.

I cannot relate to Christian homeschoolers. When I was hs'ing my kiddos I was outcasted from the in little christian groupies (the only show in homeschooling around here) because I wasn't hs'ing their way. Funny, my grown children are the most advanced academically and socially/morally so they can pound sand."

I am SO there with you. I was shunned in our HS group for supporting some members who weren't considered "Catholic" enough--and by some HS friends outside of the group for wearing pants (and I promise not to get into that again). I cannot believe that I let myself get involved in that drama.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:07 PM

Well...I am an ex-Christian (there should be a twelve step program, lol), fully embracing my inborn Pagan-ness. The more I studied Christian theology the less I believed. Too much found within the Bible is lifted from other earlier mythologies & religions. IMHO, the Bible is not the "inspired work of God", it is the work of MEN who were trying to further their own agenda(s). Somehow it would seem that if these books were the inspired word of God, He would be able to keep His story straight throughout instead of all the inconsistencies & outright contradictions. There are a lot of good ideas within, but many more bad ideas, not to mention that the good ones-the "golden rule" for example-can be found in other often earlier & unrelated sources. Jesus was a good man, I think. He was a liberal, a hippy, an enlightened man, but not Divine. I think he, from what we know of him, would be pissed to see how deified he has become & what horrendous acts are carried out & excused in his name. I think his death was a political assasination.
The Divine is the Divine is the Divine, regardless of the label one affixes to Him/Her/Them/It. Religion is simply humankind's attempt to understand and/or relate to said Divine. Jesus didn't start Christianity, the Church did, & I believe they took his very wise teachings & all but raped them. They threw out & added in whatever they felt would give them the most power, & said goddidit. I want to distance myself as much as possible from the Christian church. I refuse to buy into the whole idea that we are born filthy sinners & the downfall of the world was all a woman's fault. I refuse to accept the idea of a "loving god" who makes us the way we are & then punishes us for it. The Divine as I see/feel It is not like what that book says.
True followers of Christ's teachings are real Christians to me, those who are compassionate & loving & accepting of ALL people-like Jesus himself-not people who follow blindly after a ridiculous control-driven dogma written by men & called Christianity.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:38 PM

If pressed, I generally describe myself as a "liberal Christian". But, I still am a regular church goer (Episcopal), sing the choir, and even work for the church, so I might still be a little more connected than you. But, I am about as far away from the "conservative Christian right" (now, THAT they should have a 12 step program for) that most people picture when you say "Christian" as I could be. I'm not the homeschooling type, but I doubt I would get along with any of those groups either. Luckily, this is So CA and no one here cares. Just going to chuch makes me a minority, so its not as big an issue for me on a regular basis. while I'm comfortable with the basics of the faith, I am also comfortable with the idea that God speaks differently at different times, that the bible should be interpretted through the lense of modern science (else why did God give us brains?), that all questions are good, that Jesus probably appeared differently to different people and hence my idea of Jesus isn't the only one or the only way...
Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM

This isn't any help, but in my church we call ourselves Students of Unity. I usually just say I attend the Unity Church, which I may further describe as non-denominational. And finally, new thought or new agey if really pressed.

But when I was Methodist, I never claimed the title Christian either. It has a fundamental connotation to it (to me), which I'm most definitely not and never was.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele T.
I guess there is just no label for me. But I'm curious if any of you are like me (still have some typical Christian beliefs - but totally not a mainstream Christian) what do you call yourselves?!
... and I gotta know - when did Fundamentalist Christian, bible literlists become "mainstream?" I grew up in liberal NE, in a Methodist church, I thought we were pretty mainstream, vanilla, but it was NOTHING like you describe. We never thought "those people" were mainstream. I'm really trying not to attach the lable "nutjob" here, but that's what my mind wants to insert - like "Oh he's some kind of fundie Christian nutjob who doesn't believe in evolution."

Michelle - your somewhat new hea and it's late at night and I'm sort rambling. Please read these as random wonderings, not attacks or anything.

I think I get what you're saying. Some new doors are opening for you now and your not sure how to define yourself or what to do with your old beliefs. It will be awhile before you find something you're truly comfortable with, so just keep trying new titles on for size and see how they fit. Or you may find that NO lables fit anymore and you may get more comfortable with NOT being able to describe your cosmology and world view with a single word like Christian.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I am a Christian, IOW, I believe in Jesus and am trying to be like Him.

I am done with Christian culture and I think it's warped the Christian message and has misrepresented Jesus to others.

Yup...here too

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to have found this group. I grew up a fundy Christian -- most of my family still is. I definitely do not identify with them anymore. I have a real problem with the idea that Jesus is a Republican. I have a hard time finding ANYTHING in the Republican party that is in line with the teachings of Christ. Like the pp, I identify myself as a liberal Christian. Not just liberal politically, but liberal in a religious sense as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
... and I gotta know - when did Fundamentalist Christian, bible literlists become "mainstream?" I grew up in liberal NE, in a Methodist church, I thought we were pretty mainstream, vanilla, but it was NOTHING like you describe. We never thought "those people" were mainstream. I'm really trying not to attach the lable "nutjob" here, but that's what my mind wants to insert - like "Oh he's some kind of fundie Christian nutjob who doesn't believe in evolution."
It totally depends on what part of the country you live in. I happen to live somewhere the population is probably around 80% Southern Baptist, or at least claims to be. Funny enough, though, there is a really great eclectic homeschool support group here, full of really wonderful families.

But to answer the OP's questions, I don't feel a need for any labels or titles. Mostly I tell people that I believe religion is a personal relationship between a person and [God] (changing that word as necessary, depending on with whom I am talking) and that just like I don't go around sharing the personal details of my relationship with my husband, I do not go around sharing the personal details of my relationship with my god. I don't usually even bother telling them I'm not Christian anymore. I used to, when I was a teenager, and it got real old real fast. I basically know exactly how most people are going to react, and while sometimes it's fun to bait them into a religious debate, it's pointless and so aggravating.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:44 AM

I went through a period where I, when asked for a label to sum up my religion, would say "follower of Christ." I felt and do feel really good about it.

I am okay with being called a Christian now but I had a long journey to arrive here. I still consider myself simply a woman who loves God.

The church in America bothers me as it should. Something that is supposed to be the Bride of Christ is more a harlot to me. But I do follow and love Christ and hence am called to worship with others who do the same Faith and Hope.

, to you in your journey to know and love God.

User Tag List