Biblical Marriage Study--Debate Requested! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfblackwood
The picture I get of it is of a man standing facing God as his head & the wife, by his side, facing him.

Faith
So, how come the wife doesn't get to look at God, too? Do single people get to look at God and then lose that privilege when they marry?
#332 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
So, how come the wife doesn't get to look at God, too? Do single people get to look at God and then lose that privilege when they marry?
The point is that we are just as close to God (hence, by the husband's side) & as important as beings to God, but our orientation is to be in helping our husband in his service to God...we are not our own ministry...we are to help him in his. I shouldn't be trying to be the *religious* one in our family...my religion should be lead by my husband.

The man is the head of the woman & Christ is the head of the man.

Faith
#333 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 01:56 AM

wow. So the man is to the woman as the Pope is to the Catholic Church.
Intriguing. Does this service continue in Heaven? Or is the playing feild more level at that point?
#334 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 AM

Quote:
wow. So the man is to the woman as the Pope is to the Catholic Church.
Intriguing. Does this service continue in Heaven? Or is the playing feild more level at that point?
I believe that Human marriage is only here on earth. Once we are in heaven there is no longer male or female, husband or wife...we are all the bride of Christ.

As to the Pope - eh. I don't really know a lot about the Catholic faith. I do believe that the husband is the wife's head & that she is to reverence him as such. IMO, I shouldn't even go to my pastor with a theological question...if I have one, I should ask my husband, if he doesn't know the answer, it is his job to go to the pastor. Just an example of how my husband is my head.

Faith
#335 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 02:06 AM

I see. I don't suppose the issue of Transgender or any such thing is specifically covered is it? Like, if a woman married a man, and then they both transitioned into the physically opposite gender to match how they were constructed *inside*, would the "Head" switch as well?
Another question, if you don't mind . Why the differentiation between the words "submissive" and "loving". I find it interesting that you would use "submissive" to describe yourself and "loving" to describe your husband.
Quote:
He is much more *loving* towards me now that I am more *submissive* towards him.
#336 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 AM

Actually, women are not told to "love" their husbands (to my knowledge) in the Bible. We are told several times to submit to them. Yes, I love my husband, but I didn't have to be told to do so. Women are more naturally *loving*. It is an obvious thing that a woman would love her husband & so there is no need to tell her to do so. However, it is not *natural* that a woman would submit. We are pig-headed, high-minded & cantankerous (I speak for myself & many I know). We (women) must be told to submit because we won't just naturally do that.

I believe it is more likely that my husband would 'forget' to love me & so he has to be commanded to do so. Men get busy & go on with life & forget their wives need love (romantic, kind, compassionate love).

Submit doesn't mean love. Submit means to give way...the word used (sorry, not a scholar, can't think of the exact word) in the original text actually means "come under orders" like a soldier would come under orders of a commanding officer. Submit means to give in to his will & to obey.

Love doesn't mean submit. Love means to honor & cherish & care for...not come under orders or obey.

Faith
#337 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 02:16 AM

Interesting explanaition. It's all very foreign to me, I'll admit. So what does your religious belief teach you about the other question?
Quote:
I don't suppose the issue of Transgender or any such thing is specifically covered is it? Like, if a woman married a man, and then they both transitioned into the physically opposite gender to match how they were constructed *inside*, would the "Head" switch as well?
#338 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Interesting explanaition. It's all very foreign to me, I'll admit. So what does your religious belief teach you about the other question?
Mamajama, I didn't want to offend any of that weave who may post here, so I tried to *skip* that part of your question.

In my belief (not meant as offense to anyone, just stating my personal opinion), those who are transgender are not in obedience to Christ in the first place, so it doesn't matter who the head is. Until they are repentant about the sin of immorality, other issues can not be addressed.

Faith
#339 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 02:45 AM

alrighty then. Thanks for responding anyway. Basically it sounds as if there is no real answer to that conundrum. If one is immoral, or sinful, they need not heed the biblical orders to submit. Interesting loophole.
#340 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 03:38 AM

It is not to say that if they are sinning they are to just ignore Biblical directives...more like if there is a BIGGER sin in their life than not submitting, they should deal with that first. It wouldn't matter if they were submissive if they're not obeying in any other way.

Faith
#341 of 342 Old 11-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Most of the commentaries I have read have also pointed out that Paul's directive for husbands to actually love their wives was pretty radical stuff for an era when women were, essentially, first the property of their fathers, and then the property of their husbands.
Judaism was the religion that gave women the ability not to be considered owned property and made marriage requirements written in a contract to protect the woman.

Love in considered an integral part of marriage in judaism as well, so I don't know how that was radical for Paul.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#342 of 342 Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it was radical for the pagans he was preaching to, not the Jews.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page