God made men leaders - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting thread I need to revive it in hopes of hearing a response to msholly's question from earlier which was not addressed. I have asked it numerous times in these discussions and have never heard a logical response. I'm eagerly anticipating a break in the silence that tends to follow this very valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk
these generalizations about gender...how do you view them in light of transgender and transsexual people who undergo hormone replacement therapy? how do you think that affects people? or anyone else who has an imbalance of either estrogen or testosterone--both of which can be adjusted through hormone therapy? if you know anyone who's gone through either puberty or menopause, then you know that hormones are very powerful and influential things...and as far as i'm concerned, lead to question what makes a man a man? or a woman a woman? is it hormones? is it ovaries? breasts? testes? what happens when those have to be removed because of cancerous growth or whatever?
#152 of 157 Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 AM

:
#153 of 157 Old 07-26-2006, 03:07 PM

I have removed several recent posts that were very off-topic and potentially offensive to members of our community. I will be reviewing this as soon as I can.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns rather than posting directly to the thread.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#154 of 157 Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Still waiting

I think a definition of the "two genders" is pretty paramount to the discussion.
#155 of 157 Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 PM

yes, i'm still waiting also :
#156 of 157 Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 AM

Well, Ms Holly, I guess it's up to you and me then.
The reason why intersex, transsexual, and transgendered people are not taken into account by people who take an approach to interpreting the bible in a way that strictly subjugates women's rights to take leadership roles, is that the bible does not mention them. The mainsteam western definition of the two genders is a purely social idea. There are more than two genders. Therefore, to interpret the bible as a manual on "wifely submission" is a falacious one at best. At worst (and more likely) it is an obvious and, to me, transpsarent method for the stereotypical male to maintain his footing and control over the rest of humanity. When taken in that context, and applied to the rules of christianity (I was raised in a strict catholic home), the men who rule the church and the roost would be committing the sin of being prideful (according to the doctrine with which I was raised which says that Pride is one of the seven deadly sins). And thus, enabling them to do so, we would be guilty as well.
#157 of 157 Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 PM

In light of recently removed posts, I felt the need to further clarify:

In the realm of discussing a subject in Religious Studies, it is reasonable to state "The XYZ church regards abc to be a sin." It is a statement of fact. Personal feelings or opinions about whether something is "sinful" can be perceived judgemental, so please be sure to frame any discussion of "sin" within a religious or spiritual framework.

Please take a moment to review the Religious Studies Forum Guidelines:

Quote:
The Religious Studies forum is for the academic discussion of religious and spiritual matters. This is where the tough questions may be asked. Please do not take it personally when someone questions your own particular faith or belief system or posts an interpretation or opinion that does not support your belief. Questions and their discussion are not to be construed as being judgemental, but should rather be seen as an honest plea for a deeper understanding.

The MDC User Agreement still applies and members posting here will be expected to uphold their discussion with the utmost respect and consideration for participants and readers. Personal attacks will not be tolerated nor comments that are negative of an individual or group. If you feel someone has broken any rules, please contact a moderator immediately rather than replying to the thread in question. Please refrain from sarcasm and insulting or denigrating remarks that might negate the purpose of this forum. Those who cannot abide by these guidelines will not be permitted to post here.
Please feel free PM me if you have any questions or concerns rather than posting to this thread. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page