Judaism and origins ~ spinoff thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Well I think what's causing the misunderstanding is the belief that the people described in the Hebrew Bible were following a religion that = Judaism today.
This is a common misperception that C'ians have, as I did.

Quote:
I'd guess not many modern Jews believe that Ba'al really exists but is just wimpier than the God of the Torah. However, if you look at the Hebrew bible, that kind of belief is all over the place.
2Kings 1:2 Now Ahazi'ah fell through the lattice in his upper chamber in Sama'ria, and lay sick; so he sent messengers, telling them, "Go, inquire of Ba'al-ze'bul, the god of Ekron, whether I shall recover from this sickness."
2Ki 1:3 But the angel of the LORD said to Eli'jah the Tishbite, "Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Sama'ria, and say to them, 'Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going to inquire of Ba'al-ze'bub, the god of Ekron?'
2Ki 1:4 Now therefore thus says the LORD, 'You shall not come down from the bed to which you have gone, but you shall surely die.'" So Eli'jah went.
2Ki 1:5 The messengers returned to the king, and he said to them, "Why have you returned?"
2Ki 1:6 And they said to him, "There came a man to meet us, and said to us, 'Go back to the king who sent you, and say to him, Thus says the LORD, Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are sending to inquire of Ba'al-ze'bub, the god of Ekron? Therefore you shall not come down from the bed to which you have gone, but shall surely die.'"

Quote:

Off the top of my head, I think references to henotheism can be found in Raphael Patai's research, possibly in the writings of Mordechai Kaplan, and definitely in anthropological writings on the ancient Near East.
Patai wrote The Hebrew Goddess. He did the math. Asherah's image stood in the temple more often that not, in its history. She was considered the consort of the LORD by many groups. Thousands of small Asherah devotional statues have been found all over Israel/Samaria by archeologists.

Josiah, in his "revolution," considered this to be an abomination and attempted to wipe out all evidence of her. 2 Kings 23 (C'ian OT) is a great reference for this revolution in Judaean thought and enforced practice.
#2 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
And I repeat, as I've posted before: The fact that many Hebrews/Jews were idol worshippers and were not behaving as the Torah instructs does *not* mean that Judaism/the Hebrew belief system was ever nonmonotheistic.

It just means lots of Jews/Hebrews were behaving badly. By Torah law, that is.
Yes, I know that is your traditional belief, stemming from rabbinic interpretation and study beginning in the early centuries of the current era. And you are welcome to hold to it.

Is is considered revisionistic however, acc to historical/critical scholars.

Here is a transcript of a lecture series given by a rabbi on the subject of the evolution of Jewish theologies.

http://www.art.man.ac.uk/RELTHEOL/JEWISH/sherman01.htm

Quote:
Indeed, none of [Torah's] books lays claim to consist, as a whole, of words literally dictated by God, even though several of them contain speech attributed to God. Whether such reports are intended as verbatim reports of God’s words, or as attempts to capture the ineffable in human language, is rarely made clear.

It is unclear how, when and why the books in our Bibles achieved and retained canonical status. Moreover, the evidence of ancient versions and of the Dead Sea Scrolls casts doubts on the accuracy of the received texts, and even on the notion that there is such a thing as an "authentic" text. The question "What constitutes Torah?" cannot be answered outside the context of rabbinic teaching.
#3 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

The final paragraph:

Quote:
From an historical point of view the notion of Moses sitting on the mountain and taking verbatim notes must be rejected. Nevertheless, the "divine dictation" image may be utilised as what anthropologists would refer to as a "myth" (in a very different sense from the ordinary use of the word), that is, a concept which focuses the relationship of God, Torah and Israel. The error lies not in the claim that God revealed the Torah, written and oral, to Israel at Sinai, but rather in the insistence on a literal, historical interpretation of what is in reality a transcendent image, not an historical statement.
#4 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Just by the way, I find the term "idol worshippers" to be insulting to those of other faiths who use devotional images in their religious practice.
#5 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL View Post
Yes, I know that is your traditional belief, stemming from rabbinic interpretation and study beginning in the early centuries of the current era. And you are welcome to hold to it.

Here is a transcript of a short lecture given by a rabbi on the subject of the evolution of Jewish theologies.

the first one listed.
Nu, Darylll! Isn't this a thread to ask questions of practicing Jewish people about our traditional beliefs? What do you mean, "that is your traditional belief and you are welcome to it"? The traditional belief is the point of the thread!

There are Jewish people out there who have reconciled modern historical scholarship of the bible with Jewish practice, of course. (Oh yeah, I'm one of them!) Still, it seems to me entirely ahistorical to refer to the traditional beliefs about idol worship in the Bible as "revisionistic". Merpk's beliefs are traditional. MINE are revisionistic.

I think that the religion of the Biblical Israelites might not have been apostasy. Instead it seems to me more likely that they were originally polytheistic and developed monotheistic beliefs gradually--beliefs that looked more and more like what we believe today. (Which is substantially different from thinking that polytheistic practices were a rejection of the revelation at Sinai.)

To me, if it's not monotheistic, it's not Judaism. The religious practices of the Biblical Israelites are really interesting, but they are a precursor to Rabbinic Judaism. We have no Temple. We don't do sacrifices. We emphasize the primacy of text study.

We devote ourselves to studying and interpreting the text, not to replicating the lives of the people in the text.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#6 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM

With all do respect, unless followers of these other religions come forth I find it a little presumptuous that you would assume the term "idol worshippers" to be insulting, not being of those "other" religions yourself.

I actually find speaking for the followers of other religions insulting. I could never presume what another thinks or feels on a certain topic until they reveal it to me.
#7 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain optimism View Post
Nu, Darylll! Isn't this a thread to ask questions of practicing Jewish people about our traditional beliefs? What do you mean, "that is your traditional belief and you are welcome to it"? The traditional belief is the point of the thread!
I think that I am confused about terms. This thread is for "practicing" Jews, not just for the Orthodox, correct? So, the POVs of practicing Reform Jews, for ex, would also be valid.

Quote:
There are Jewish people out there who have reconciled modern historical scholarship of the bible with Jewish practice, of course. (Oh yeah, I'm one of them!) Still, it seems to me entirely ahistorical to refer to the traditional beliefs about idol worship in the Bible as "revisionistic". Merpk's beliefs are traditional. MINE are revisionistic.
What do you think of Josiah? Did he reform the religion of Judah, or revolutionize and actually create it? Have you read much about the documentary hypothesis theory?

Again, this thread was not addressed to "traditional" or "Orthodox" Jews. So your POV and the POV of other Reform/liberal theology Jews is valid. Such as the author of the lecture series I linked to. He cites many rabbis and thinkers from across the centuries who have questioned and debated Torah issues.

Quote:
I think that the religion of the Biblical Israelites might not have been apostasy. Instead it seems to me more likely that they were originally polytheistic and developed monotheistic beliefs gradually--beliefs that looked more and more like what we believe today. (Which is substantially different from thinking that polytheistic practices were a rejection of the revelation at Sinai.)
According to my research, I agree with this, with the exception being the actions of Josiah in the chapters I cited above.

Quote:
To me, if it's not monotheistic, it's not Judaism. The religious practices of the Biblical Israelites are really interesting, but they are a precursor to Rabbinic Judaism.
This is also correct, I have no quarrel with it.

Quote:
We have no Temple. We don't do sacrifices. We emphasize the primacy of text study.

We devote ourselves to studying and interpreting the text, not to replicating the lives of the people in the text.
Of course, and I never claimed otherwise. I still think Josiah had Deuteronomy written as a political tool b/c of a reaction to the conquering of the Northern Kingdom by Assyria and the Babylon threat to Judah.
#8 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
With all do respect, unless followers of these other religions come forth I find it a little presumptuous that you would assume the term "idol worshippers" to be insulting, not being of those "other" religions yourself.

I actually find speaking for the followers of other religions insulting. I could never presume what another thinks or feels on a certain topic until they reveal it to me.
PD, I do have inspirational devotional images in my home.
#9 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
PD, I do have inspirational devotional images in my home.
Which you worship?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#10 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I don't worship the images, no. I thought that I made that clear. People do not worship images. They worship/are devotees of the dieties the images represent.

So, the use of the term idol worship, altho used in the Hebrew Scriptures (Eng trans) is inaccurate and ethnocentric. It was used to demonize Asherah devotees. I think we have discussed this before, BB, and you apologized for your use of the term, which I remember appreciating.

I do not worship, for example, the statue of Buddha I have in one of my garden beds. I honor what the statue represents, by planting seasonal flowering plants around it as an offering to what I hold sacred. Your High Priests did not worship the cherubim on the ark in the Holy of Holies, but honored the invisible ineffable god who was believed to be enthroned upon them.
#11 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much! I was just about to post the same. Well, actually I was about to be snarky and say 'so nu Daryllll - when did you start practicing Judaism? See the thread title?' Thanks for helping me keep my negative midos in check .
#12 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I think that I am confused about terms. This thread is for "practicing" Jews, not just for the Orthodox, correct? So, the POVs of practicing Reform Jews, for ex, would also be valid.
Except, have you ever been any kind of practicing Jew?
#13 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a little bit confused by DarryLLL's posting of all that stuff disputing the divinity of the Torah. The Written Torah was never intended to be read, much less studied, without the Oral Torah alongside it. All these "Biblical and Historical Scholars" are looking at the Written Torah alone, so none of their findings have any validity to Torah Observant Jews. If there were any Jews in the time of the Temple who were learning the Written Torah without the framework of the Oral Torah, then they were not observing Torah correctly (by Torah standards) and their actions cannot be considered "traditional Jewish practice."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm a little bit confused by DarryLLL's posting of all that stuff disputing the divinity of the Torah. The Written Torah was never intended to be read, much less studied, without the Oral Torah alongside it. All these "Biblical and Historical Scholars" are looking at the Written Torah alone, so none of their findings have any validity to Torah Observant Jews.
Ruthla, if you take a look at the lecture series I linked to above, you will see what some practicing Jews understand about the relationship of oral Torah to written.

And no, the "biblical and historical scholars" in the above articles are not looking at the written Torah alone. The article only cites Jewish rabbis and other theologians/philosophers, who were quite familiar with the Talmud and other Jewish writings. Some of them were suppressed as heretics.

Quote:
If there were any Jews in the time of the Temple who were learning the Written Torah without the framework of the Oral Torah, then they were not observing Torah correctly (by Torah standards) and their actions cannot be considered "traditional Jewish practice."
Which Temple? 1st (Solomonic) or second (built by Ezra's contemporaries)? Or 3rd (Greek style Herodian)? Who was learning "Judaism" properly in the "temple" when Asherah stood there and male sacred prostitutes lived there? Who authorized that?

I would say their actions cannot be considered correct by CE standards, or by Deuteronomic standards. But by pre-deuteronomic standards, it was legal to at the very least worship El in Beth El. I think the "oral Torah" of their day was a bit different from the written-down-oral-Torah of the post Temple destruction 3rd century CE.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-b...n=rsv&x=7&y=10
#15 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm a little bit confused by DarryLLL's posting of all that stuff disputing the divinity of the Torah. The Written Torah was never intended to be read, much less studied, without the Oral Torah alongside it. All these "Biblical and Historical Scholars" are looking at the Written Torah alone, so none of their findings have any validity to Torah Observant Jews. If there were any Jews in the time of the Temple who were learning the Written Torah without the framework of the Oral Torah, then they were not observing Torah correctly (by Torah standards) and their actions cannot be considered "traditional Jewish practice."
Yes, this is the point that needs clarification.

Biblical and historical scholars are trying (with limited archeological and textual evidence) to describe the reality of the society of ancient Israel. Some are Jews, and some aren't. It's a very interesting field of inquiry. (Yes, it's a field of inquiry that assumes human authorship for the Torah.)

Practicing Jews are trying to practice Judaism, which is a different project.

The Reform movement rejected the validity of the Oral Torah in the 19th century. But, it's still part of rabbinic Judaism anyway. Reform Jews today still practice Judaism that looks, in most respects, like rabbinic Judaism. (Passover seder? Check. Well, that sure is rabbinic! Structure of prayer service? check. Rabbinic, again!) Reform Jews may call their congregations "temples"--but what they do in them is say the Shma, not sacrifice pigeons.

The Conservative movement never rejected the Oral Torah but like Reform scholars, many Conservative incorporate insights from biblical criticism into their readings of Jewish law. Do they learn Talmud? They sure do.

As Jewish people we tend to concentrate a lot on the differences between Jews, and miss the big similarities.

#16 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I would say their actions cannot be considered correct by CE standards, or by Deuteronomic standards. But by pre-deuteronomic standards, it was legal to at the very least worship El in Beth El. I think the "oral Torah" of their day was a bit different from the written-down-oral-Torah of the post Temple destruction 3rd century CE.
Yes but--we don't care. I mean, yeah, I care to learn about it because it's interesting. But it has only the most marginal relevance to Judaism. Judaism is a monotheistic religion even if our ancestors were polytheists who worshipped idols and offered cakes to the Queen of Heaven.

I guess I'm kind of surprised. You've taken such pains to educate yourself about Judaism--which is very cool--and you seem to be missing a key point anyway! Judaism is NOT incomplete Christianity. We aren't just, you know, the Hebrew Bible and that's it. We are a full-fledged religious tradition that has kept going! That's why we can have a variety of interesting responses to our ancestors' polytheism.

Also why it makes sense to allow religious Jews to be the ones to speak authoritatively about what religious Jews believe.

#17 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Which Temple? 1st (Solomonic) or second (built by Ezra's contemporaries)? Or 3rd (Greek style Herodian)? Who was learning "Judaism" properly in the "temple" when Asherah stood there and male sacred prostitutes lived there? Who authorized that?
There have only been 2 Temples. The first built by King Solomon and the 2nd when the Temple was rededicated (as recalled by the Hanukkah observances.) If there was an idol of Ashera and "male sacred prostitutes" lived there, then that WASN'T Judaism! From a Jewish POV, that would be the Temple being desecrated.
Quote:
I would say their actions cannot be considered correct by CE standards, or by Deuteronomic standards. But by pre-deuteronomic standards, it was legal to at the very least worship El in Beth El.
HUH?? Pre-deuteronomic is before the Temple was even built! There was no "Jewish People" before the Torah was given at Mount Sinai. Then Torah was given and we had it when we entered the Land of Israel after leaving the Wilderness.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#18 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes but--we don't care. I mean, yeah, I care to learn about it because it's interesting.
I also care because it interests me how humans attempt to understand the ineffable, and then write what they think they know.

Quote:
But it has only the most marginal relevance to Judaism. Judaism is a monotheistic religion even if our ancestors were polytheists who worshipped idols and offered cakes to the Queen of Heaven.
Yes, where have I said otherwise?

Quote:
I guess I'm kind of surprised. You've taken such pains to educate yourself about Judaism--which is very cool--and you seem to be missing a key point anyway! Judaism is NOT incomplete Christianity.
tsk. I have never said that. If I have implied it, I am sorry. I am not on the Christians' side in some sort of "our god is better than yours" fight, as C'ians here can well attest.

Quote:
We aren't just, you know, the Hebrew Bible and that's it. We are a full-fledged religious tradition that has kept going! That's why we can have a variety of interesting responses to our ancestors' polytheism.
Yes, I am well aware of that.

I relate to the Reform POV, b/c of my interest in historical criticism and archeology.

Altho I am not Jewish, I am educating myself about the history of your religion. That's OK, isn't it?

Quote:
Also why it makes sense to allow religious Jews to be the ones to speak authoritatively about what religious Jews believe.
Religious Jews of any denomination? Orthodox, Conservative, Recon or Reform? Usually the only Jews that post in to these conversations are the Orthodox. You are one of the few Reform I have ever seen post here. I think many non-Jews who read these kinds of threads may be left ignorant of what the majority of practicing Jews believe. In this country the Orthodox only comprise 20%.

I am glad you are here, C-O.
#19 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There have only been 2 Temples. The first built by King Solomon and the 2nd when the Temple was rededicated (as recalled by the Hanukkah observances.) If there was an idol of Ashera and "male sacred prostitutes" lived there, then that WASN'T Judaism! From a Jewish POV, that would be the Temple being desecrated.
It is interesting to try to determine when "Judaism" really began. When do you think it did?

Quote:
HUH?? Pre-deuteronomic is before the Temple was even built! There was no "Jewish People" before the Torah was given at Mount Sinai. Then Torah was given and we had it when we entered the Land of Israel after leaving the Wilderness.
That, again, is an Orthodox (or mystical) belief not held up by historical research. Evidence points to Deuteronomy actually being written at the time of Josiah, not just "found" by his housecleaning staff in a dusty corner.
Please read this about the documentary hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis
#20 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It is interesting to try to determine when "Judaism" really began. When do you think it did?
When the Torah was given on Mount Sinai, shortly after the Exodus from Egypt.
Quote:
That, again, is an Orthodox (or mystical) belief not held up by historical research. Evidence points to Deuteronomy actually being written at the time of Josiah, not just "found" by his housecleaning staff in a dusty corner.
Please read this about the documentary hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis
I don't give a what the evidence points to, when those doing the looking are disregarding the fundamentals of Torah. I AM familiar with the "documentary hypothesis" and I reject it completely. I'm not interested in any "evidence" disputing the divinity of the Torah. To me, the Torah is a sacred text, not an artifact.

Back to historical fact: Orthodox Jews have beleived for centuries that the Torah was written by G-d during Moses' time. Jewish practice has been shaped by that belief. No amount of "evidence" to the contrary is going to change the Orthodox view or any of the practices based on that view.

#21 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Here is a transcript of a lecture series given by a rabbi on the subject of the evolution of Jewish theologies.

DaryLLL, your response to my post is a nonsequitur.

And you yourself post that "you never said otherwise" in response to c'o pointing out that Judaism has always been monotheistic despite the bad behavior of many Jews. So why do you keep arguing this point with me when you just told c'o that "you never said otherwise"? Obviously, you say otherwise regularly, which is why I keep posting the response to it.

And FWIW, I was on the road to the Rabbinate myself before I took a turn towards here. And have been a whole lot of other kinds of Judaism before ending up the kind I am now. Which is not labelable, thankyouverymuch. So please don't assume about the posters and where they're coming from. Or where their scholarship comes from ...

And does all of this reflect back to the OP?
#22 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I relate to the Reform POV, b/c of my interest in historical criticism and archeology.
Yes, okay, but keep in mind that Reform Judaism is still Rabbinic. It's still post-second-Temple Judaism. (The temples of the Northern Kingdom at Dan and Beit El are not precursors to rabbinic Judaism in any way--they are pretty thorough excluded by the prophetic tradition.)

Quote:
Altho I am not Jewish, I am educating myself about the history of your religion. That's OK, isn't it?
of course, it's more than okay! It's great! But the thread topic is about what Jews believe and practice today. So getting all technical with a Jewish mom about how Jews used to believe in this or that thing that the prophets condemned in the books of Kings or Jeremiah--it's not really on point! Too confusing!

Quote:
Religious Jews of any denomination? Orthodox, Conservative, Recon or Reform? Usually the only Jews that post in to these conversations are the Orthodox. You are one of the few Reform I have ever seen post here. I think many non-Jews who read these kinds of threads may be left ignorant of what the majority of practicing Jews believe. In this country the Orthodox only comprise 20%.
I am glad you are here, C-O.
Me, too, I'm glad I'm here too, though I probably should be doing something else right now. I'm not exactly a Reform Jew, more a sort of observant-unaffiliated-liberal-halachic type of Jewish person sort of thing. But I grew up in the Reform movement. I don't think anyone who can answer questions about Judaism can also represent the entire Jewish people.

#23 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I don't worship the images, no. I thought that I made that clear. People do not worship images. They worship/are devotees of the dieties the images represent.

How was "it used"? Where does the english phrase used here appear in the torah?
Quote:
So, the use of the term idol worship, altho used in the Hebrew Scriptures (Eng trans) is inaccurate and ethnocentric.
Avodah zara means "other (as in stranger/ different) worship".
Not "idol worship". Of course the torah is ethnocentric. Its meant for only one "ethnicity". As far as inaacurate, no, but your translation is.

Quote:
I do not worship, for example, the statue of Buddha I have in one of my garden beds. I honor what the statue represents, by planting seasonal flowering plants around it as an offering to what I hold sacred. Your High Priests did not worship the cherubim on the ark in the Holy of Holies, but honored the invisible ineffable god who was believed to be enthroned upon them.
Then you shouldn't have a problem with the phrase "idol worship", it has nothing to do with you.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#24 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yes but--we don't care. I mean, yeah, I care to learn about it because it's interesting. But it has only the most marginal relevance to Judaism. Judaism is a monotheistic religion even if our ancestors were polytheists who worshipped idols and offered cakes to the Queen of Heaven.

I guess I'm kind of surprised. You've taken such pains to educate yourself about Judaism--which is very cool--and you seem to be missing a key point anyway! Judaism is NOT incomplete Christianity. We aren't just, you know, the Hebrew Bible and that's it. We are a full-fledged religious tradition that has kept going! That's why we can have a variety of interesting responses to our ancestors' polytheism.

Shkoyach (yasher koach- anyone care to translate?)

#25 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When the Torah was given on Mount Sinai, shortly after the Exodus from Egypt. I don't give a what the evidence points to, when those doing the looking are disregarding the fundamentals of Torah. I AM familiar with the "documentary hypothesis" and I reject it completely. I'm not interested in any "evidence" disputing the divinity of the Torah. To me, the Torah is a sacred text, not an artifact.
OK, fine. Mazel tov. Maybe I'm just jealous.

Quote:
Back to historical fact: Orthodox Jews have beleived for centuries that the Torah was written by G-d during Moses' time. Jewish practice has been shaped by that belief. No amount of "evidence" to the contrary is going to change the Orthodox view or any of the practices based on that view.
Well, the scientific evidence actually did cause the branching off of Conservative and Reform denominations.
#26 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
OK, fine. Mazel tov. Maybe I'm just jealous.

Well, the scientific evidence actually did cause the branching off of Conservative and Reform denominations.
No. It didn't. The wanting not to be different from the people around them, and to be "modern" and not "backward" caused the creation of the reform movement. The "move" towards a more traditional movement caused the birth of conservativeism.

#27 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
How was "it used"? Where does the english phrase used here appear in the torah?

Avodah zara means "other (as in stranger/ different) worship".
Not "idol worship".
Ah, thanks for that. Earlier merpk said

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
The fact that many Hebrews/Jews were idol worshippers...
If she meant to say, "other worshippers," I find that inoffensive and actually accurate.

But the firm statement that goyim (gentiles) worshipped dead things of clay, stone and metal that can neither see nor hear is in the Torah, nonetheless.

Psa 115:1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to thy name give glory, for the sake of thy steadfast love and thy faithfulness!
Psa 115:2 Why should the nations say, "Where is their God?"
Psa 115:3 Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases.
Psa 115:4 Their idols (others?) are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
Psa 115:5 They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.
Psa 115:6 They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell.
Psa 115:7 They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat.
Psa 115:8 Those who make them are like them; so are all who trust in them.

or

Psa 135:15 The idols (other gods?) of the nations [are] silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

or

Isa 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

Isa 2:20 In that day men shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made for themselves to worship, to the moles and to the bats

or

Psa 97:5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
Psa 97:6 The heavens proclaim his righteousness; and all the peoples behold his glory.
Psa 97:7 All worshipers of images (graven images, or other gods) are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols (other gods?) ; all gods bow down before him.(all other nations' gods should themselves worship the LORD?)

Does that approach the correction you would make?

Quote:
Of course the torah is ethnocentric. Its meant for only one "ethnicity". As far as inaacurate, no, but your translation is.
So how do you reconcile the above verses with that? I am just curious.

Quote:
Then you shouldn't have a problem with the phrase "idol worship", it has nothing to do with you.
Actually, it does. The Torah said not to make graven images or bow down before them, correct? Judaism is iconoclastic. Despite the cherubim.
#28 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
No. It didn't. The wanting not to be different from the people around them, and to be "modern" and not "backward" caused the creation of the reform movement.
Well, being "modern" would imply, at least in part, relying more on rationalism and the scientific method, ie: historical critical ideas like the doc. hypothesis theory.

Thanks for the info about Conservatism. I will look into that.
#29 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks for that. Earlier merpk said

If she meant to say, "other worshippers," I find that inoffensive and actually accurate.
I don't know what she meant to say, but what difference does it make, if it doesn't refer to you?
Quote:
But the firm statement that goyim (gentiles) worshipped dead things of clay, stone and metal that can neither see nor hear is in the Torah, nonetheless.

Psa 115:1 Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to thy name give glory, for the sake of thy steadfast love and thy faithfulness!
Psa 115:2 Why should the nations say, "Where is their God?"
Psa 115:3 Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases.
Psa 115:4 Their idols (others?) are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
Psa 115:5 They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.
Psa 115:6 They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell.
Psa 115:7 They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat.
Psa 115:8 Those who make them are like them; so are all who trust in them.

or

Psa 135:15 The idols (other gods?) of the nations [are] silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

or

Isa 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

Isa 2:20 In that day men shall cast his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which they made for themselves to worship, to the moles and to the bats

or

Psa 97:5 The mountains melt like wax before the LORD, before the Lord of all the earth.
Psa 97:6 The heavens proclaim his righteousness; and all the peoples behold his glory.
Psa 97:7 All worshipers of images (graven images, or other gods) are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols (other gods?) ; all gods bow down before him.(all other nations' gods should themselves worship the LORD?)
I don't learn torah with only a translation. I would have to look at the original. But what does what the torah (or nach, which is what you are quoting, which I did not refer to) have to do with you?

Quote:
Does that approach the correction you would make?
I'm not understanding you, sorry.

Quote:
So how do you reconcile the above verses with that? I am just curious.
I don't see the steera (contradiction.) The verses above, among other things, are not from the torah.

Quote:
Actually, it does. The Torah said not to make graven images or bow down before them, correct?
I'd have to look it up.

Quote:
Judaism is iconoclastic. Despite the cherubim.
Whatever that means.

#30 of 105 Old 10-04-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Well, being "modern" would imply, at least in part, relying more on rationalism and the scientific method, ie: historical critical ideas like the doc. hypothesis theory.

Thanks for the info about Conservatism. I will look into that.
No, it wouldn't. Why do you claim something without knowing it (at all) as a fact? Pretty un"modern".

Being "modern" meant not looking "old world" like the jews of that period typically did. It meant many sociatal things like following the torah, etc. It is not meant, and indeed was not about "rationalism". It was about fitting in and following modern society.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page