Is raw meat kosher? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, just wondering a question. Assuming a kosher animal was killed in a kosher way and drained properly, etc. (I'm not Jewish and don't know any word except kosher), would eating it raw be kosher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 AM

I gotta know why you're asking. I'm picturing a ceviche and sushi themed bar mitzvah reception.
#3 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

No interesting bar mitzvah (mitzvot?) receptions.

I'm explaining with trepidation. I'm LDS (Mormon). We believe our Book of Mormon to be scripture given by God to prophets and written on plates. It describes a family that leaves Jerusalem and lives in the wilderness for a number of years. Part of the time, the Lord tells them to eat meat uncooked. I was just wondering how that would line up with kosher food laws (if not, that would explain why this comes across as such an act of faith).

My baby is waking, so I have to go.
#4 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There's no Halachic reason that meat MUST be cooked in order to be kosher, with the exception of liver (it has to be broiled to get the maximum amount of blood out of it before consuming.) All other meats can be kashered either by broiling or by soaking and salting. I'm not sure exactly how to do this as I've always purchased kosher meat prepackaged, already soaked and salted and rinsed, and then of course I rinse again before cooking.

I don't think I'd be comfortable (from a health and safety standpoint) eating raw kosher meat that I buy in the supermarket. Maybe if I bought a live cow or goat, had it slaughtered, soaked and salted it myself and ate some of it raw while it was still fresh? Ugh- still sounds nasty to me. I don't think I'll try it.

Maybe it was just an act of faith because meat is usually consumed cooked and it's hard to drastically change your eating habits? Or perhaps there were health and/or safety concerns with raw meat?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#5 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 AM

Q: May raw meat be eaten?

A: Yes. Kashering is not necessary; simply wash the raw meat or chicken in cold water to remove the blood on the surface.171

http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/j/keep...her/chap1.html
#6 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 01:48 AM

Ah, interesting reason for asking. I'd imagine that in pre-refrigeration days eating raw meat was a fairly dicey proposition.
#7 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Dicey, unless you ate it raw freshly killed, right? (Drained, washed, etc.)

Thanks everyone.
#8 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 12:51 PM

I tried following the link by Momma Verdi and it wouldn't connect.  Does anyone have any other links on the topic?  This is something I am investigating right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page