Can someone tell me why I get raked over the coals for naming my son Zion? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Religious Studies > Can someone tell me why I get raked over the coals for naming my son Zion?
cappuccinosmom's Avatar cappuccinosmom 06:29 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
"For others, it has taken on a more spiritual meaning—a safe spiritual homeland, like in heaven, or a kind of peace of mind in one's present life."
I like that. We are Christian but it has similar meaning to us.

Zion is a very common girls name in Ethiopia where my dh is from, though it's pronounced tzEE-on. I've been hoping for a girl I could use that name for. How sad to think some would take it as a political statement or give us trouble about it.

It always makes me think of the Christmas song we sing every year..."Daughter of Zion, oooooohhh rejoice..." Ah, I love that one. :

Bekka's Avatar Bekka 08:03 PM 10-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
Just commenting on kids choosing their own names--so far I have 4 kids who chose their own names. All 4 of them. Zion is a great name. My friend started going by Zion as an adult (it's her maiden name) and it really suits her!

My kids' names aren't very "out there", but they chose them, for sure.
I can share 2 of them--some of the experiences are private and sacred to me. My daughter is Elisabeth (that spelling) and I had a dream about us discussing nicknames for Elisabeth about 3 weeks before she was born. The name wasn't even on our radar. We didn't know she was a girl. Well, after that I guess we did, but dh believed it more than I did!

My youngest is Sara. I had been thinking for over a year that the next girl was Sara/Sarah--I have an ancestor I've been doing research on for a few years, who is a Sarah and the name just kept coming back to me.

We had a list of names we liked, but we waited until our babies were born before naming them, and then we waited until they were born and several hours to a few days old until the right name came to us. We always agreed (DH and I, I mean). 4x. I guess some people would say that we "chose" in this case, but we always had an ongoing discussion about whether the names on the list felt "right", and often we'd just remove one for no particular reason/it felt wrong.
1  2  3

Up