where do i find a menorah locally? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as in, not on the internet. all the 'religious supply stores' i can find um, don't include more than one major world religion, and it's not judaism.

thanks!
#2 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 03:51 AM

Well, I have no idea where you live. They may not be available locally, if there are no Jews or Jewish areas nearby. Sometimes large chain stores have a display for Chanukah that might have them. I got one at Bed, Bath, & Beyond one year. You don't need a special candelabra just for Chanukah, if you can't find one to buy. They are easy to make, or you can just put out the right number of candles. The only requirement is that the "shamash" (servant) candle has to be somehow differentiated from the other candles. Usually this is done by making it higher or lower than the others. So you could put the main candles on a metal tray of some kind, but put the shamash in some kind of candlestick or on the top of a jar lid or some such thing (non-flammable, of course). There a lots of Chanukah activities online that will tell you how to make one. Bolts of the right size make good Chanukah candle holders (one for each of the 8 main candles and two, stacked up, for the shamash) that can be glued onto a decorated surface.

HTH!
#3 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 03:53 AM

I've bought them at Pier One.

Where are you located? Maybe one of the mamas could help you find a Judaica store if there aren't any at Pier One.

You could PM one of us if you prefer...
#4 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 04:44 AM

I saw one at Whole Foods today.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#5 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 AM

your local JCC or synagogue gift shop.

OR www.chabad.org

it will help you find the nearest Chabad house to you. Call them. They might even send you one for free. If not, they usually sell them SUPER cheap. Like $3 or $4! They aren't heirlooms or anything, but there you have it!

Good luck and Happy Channukah!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#6 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 AM

I saw one at Target last week. In fact I was on the phone with my mom discussing what the girls wanted for Christmas at the time and my 4 y/o dd saw it first and yelled "Mom, tell grandma I want this 'man-air-a' on my Christmas list too."
#7 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

i'm in indianapolis, there is a jewish community here, on the other side of the city from me. it didn't occur to me that i might find one at pier one or bed bath, etc...

thank you !
#8 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 11:35 AM

I've also seen them at craft stores like Michael's or JoAnn's.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#9 of 33 Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 PM

My dd made one in preschool a few years ago. It can be a fun craft!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#10 of 33 Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 PM

I've seen them at The Bombay Company, Pier 1, Hallmark or try your local Synagogue (they might have a shop; call first, as they're usually staffed by volunteers).
#11 of 33 Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM

I live on the west side of Indy and I saw them yesterday at Target on and end display. Good luck.
#12 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
The only requirement is that the "shamash" (servant) candle has to be somehow differentiated from the other candles. Usually this is done by making it higher or lower than the others.
My understanding was that all the other candles had to be in a straight line in order for the channukiah to be kosher...:

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#13 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
My understanding was that all the other candles had to be in a straight line in order for the channukiah to be kosher...:
Indeed they do have to be on the same height/line. but the shamash (the servant candle) need not.
#14 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 04:46 AM

Oh, well, make them straight to be sure. The "Internet Rabbi" often says that they must be in a straight line, but these links claim differently.

Here a Conservative rabbi says a curved one is okay:
http://judaism.about.com/od/chanuka1...kiah_round.htm

Here (the second question down on the page) another menorah is okayed that doesn't have the lights all in a straight line:
http://ohr.edu/ask/ask218.htm

So, just make them all on the same height and in a straight line like Rynna says.
#15 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 08:59 AM

I suppose it's more reasonable to say "Most people will tell you that they need to be in a straight line (excepting the shamash, of course) but others hold that it's fine for the candles to be out of line as long as they're the same hieght. Still others hold that niether hieght nor line is important, as long as the shamash is easily distinguished from the others." :

When I was in elementary school, one of our classes made channukiot one year. My mother walked into the classroom, pointed out all the ones without straight lines and said, "Did you know that you can't use these? The candles have to line up." Two of the town's three rabbis agreed with her, and many of us were bummed (myself included) to have to change our work.

#16 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 09:25 AM

To buy online just google judaica.

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#17 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 04:46 PM

Wherever I've lived, they've always been readily available... drugstores, Target, Wal-Mart, craft stores, places like Linens & Things, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. The nicest ones I've seen locally have been in galleries that cater to local artists and stuff. Truly works of art... and they also had some truly beautiful mezuzahs (? not sure if I spelled that right or even have the word right... little container like thing that has a phrase from the Torah written on a piece of paper/parchment inside of it and is placed next to the door where one enters. Hope I'm making sense.)

On a side note, my roommate in college made one out of dixie cups and birthday candles.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#18 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
On a side note, my roommate in college made one out of dixie cups and birthday candles.

I remember making one as a child with Hershey bars and eight Hershey kisses, stuck on with fluffernutter. Can't remember what I used for the shamash.

No, couldn't use it for candles, but it sure looked like a menorah.

#19 of 33 Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM

(While we're talking arts and crafts, I made a set of two pipes out of the candle-holders on my menorah one gloomy February in college. Just add pen-barrels and screens... : Yes, I did reassemble the menorah before the next Chanukah rolled around.)
#20 of 33 Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
(While we're talking arts and crafts, I made a set of two pipes out of the candle-holders on my menorah one gloomy February in college. Just add pen-barrels and screens... : Yes, I did reassemble the menorah before the next Chanukah rolled around.)

I did that, too. In college. Though didn't need the pen-barrels, used the barrel from an old pipe that had a smashed bowl ...

And no, never did give the menorah back its candle-holder. Worked too well for the pipe.

:
#21 of 33 Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 AM

#22 of 33 Old 12-07-2006, 06:55 AM

Don't forget the candy dreidels to go with it: Marshmallow with a hershey kiss, stuck together with a toothpick, and a piece of licorice on top.

We did these as table favors at dd 's bat-mitzvah last year (Hannukah time) and some floating star candles as centerpieces. Of course, the kids figured out that it was fun to roast them on the candles!

And don't forget some chocolate gelt on the side!
#23 of 33 Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
And no, never did give the menorah back its candle-holder. Worked too well for the pipe.

:
: No need to be ashamed, Amy dear. I'd totally be toking up *right now* if I could...

#24 of 33 Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post

I remember making one as a child with Hershey bars and eight Hershey kisses, stuck on with fluffernutter. Can't remember what I used for the shamash.

No, couldn't use it for candles, but it sure looked like a menorah.

not candles, but candies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookMommy! View Post
Don't forget the candy dreidels to go with it: Marshmallow with a hershey kiss, stuck together with a toothpick, and a piece of licorice on top.

We did these as table favors at dd 's bat-mitzvah last year (Hannukah time) and some floating star candles as centerpieces.
DD's Bat Mitzvah is in 2 weeks (7th night of Hanukkah) and you just HAD to suggest another idea for table favors?

We're doing rock candy on a stick in a pretty little bag with some chocolate gelt and a menorah inside (with the rock candy stick sticking out of the bag)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#25 of 33 Old 12-08-2006, 07:50 AM

for all those toke referencers...you were the BAD kids in school, right?

Happy CHanukkah, hope the OP found what she was looking for.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#26 of 33 Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Bumping up because I am looking for a menorah too!

I will try Linen and Things if I don't hear back from the Chabad house. Or I may make my own from the Martha Stewart craft page.
#27 of 33 Old 12-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you want to look for one locally, try searching the yellow pages for "Judaica Shop" not "Religous Supply Store".

I would imagine that what's available locally will vary depending on where you are. On Long Island, for example, I've seen menorahs in Party City and several local supermarkets. In an area without much of a local Jewish population, I'd imagine that menorahs are a lot harder to find.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#28 of 33 Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM

I was also going to suggest Target and Kohl's and possibly Wal-Mart or CVS Pharmacy or check a local synagoge or Jewish Community Center.
#29 of 33 Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 AM

I ended up heading into Toronto to a Judaica shop and bought a menorah like this one with blue and white candles. I also got a few things that I needed. A challah cover, a kiddush cup like this one but with a plate, some Channukah cards, music CDs and I have ordered some benchers. I went a little nuts . But I don't know when I will be able to get there again.

ETA: I wanted to get one with the oil but the glass cups were a size 3 and I needed a size 2. It was a bit big and shifted slightly. I was worried about it jiggling and falling. Is it hard to use the oil? That is what I really wanted.
#30 of 33 Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM

I saw some at TJ Maxx last week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page