Do you believe your religion is factually true? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do yo believe the tenets of your religion are factually, literally true?
yes, all of them 60 59.41%
only some of them 8 7.92%
no 12 11.88%
I don't know, not sure 2 1.98%
it doesn't matter to me if it's literally true 19 18.81%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
poll to follow

not meant for debate, anonymous poll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM

I voted No but I think it is more complicated than that for me. I feel that all myth, legend and parable has a basis in fact. They arose due to factual events that were interpreted by the people living in that time. The knowledge was passed on in story form and any good storyteller will exaggerate certain things to make the story more entertaining.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 PM

I voted that it didn't matter to me. Some of it is true, some of it probably isn't. The way I look at it is like this. The story "Little Red Riding Hood" teaches some good things about why you shouldn't talk to strangers. If you go deeper into the story it tells some things about a young girls comming of age and the emotional turmoil and pitfalls involved. This is true weather there ever was a girl in red or not. The lessons of the story stand regardless of their factual basis.

I feel the same way about my sacred stories. I learn about truth from them weather they are litteraly true or not.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that is pretty much how I feel too. It doesn't matter to me.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, I am an Atheist and believe that there is no higher power and no afterlife.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

so you voted yes? But is Atheism a religion?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't mean that snarky. I wasn't sure if lack of belief in deity is actually a religion or not. Maybe that should go in it's own thread?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 AM

I can't answer, you didn't include an "other" option. :

My answer is that it depends what you mean by "factually" (checking...yep, I'm in law school...)

I believe that everything in my religion is true. I don't know what a fact is though. I know it is not scientifically true, but science is not an effective way to get at truth.

Really, in a way, that my religion teaches that it is true in some ways reinforces its factual value to me.

So, yeah. Depends what you mean by fact.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted it doesn't matter to me. I know that there are many myths, legends, and a lot "grand storytelling" going on in my traditions. I am cool with that. I am more interested in what those things are trying to teach/tell me, and less concerned with how or whether or not this and this happened in a way that we can call factual. Does that make sense?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM

I voted yes, although I do not consider my faith to be religious. I am Christian, but I do not feel I practice "religion" but rather "faith in God". But, I do believe that all events recorded in the Bible are factually true.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 05-16-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm a UU so my religion is built on principles that I truly believe are important for myself and the world. There is nothing to dispute, or prove in that as fact.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
...... my religion is built on principles that I truly believe are important for myself and the world. There is nothing to dispute, or prove in that as fact.
That too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I'm a UU so my religion is built on principles that I truly believe are important for myself and the world. There is nothing to dispute, or prove in that as fact.
from http://uua.org/visitors/6798.shtml
Quote:
There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Yet another UU who agrees with Artie. :
Old 05-19-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm not sure how to answer this one. What do you mean by 'tenets'? If you mean the 'biggie' issues, yes. But if you mean absolutely everything, no. Example: I'm Christian, so yes I believe Jesus was literally God and literally resurrected from the dead. That's a biggie. But I do not believe the world was literally created in seven 24hr days. That is not a biggie at all, and is not taught as such. It is a parable, just like the many other parables in the bible. So I guess I have to vote only some?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If mostly was an option I woul dhave chosen. Some of the stories and legends may or may not be based in reality but they are not official doctrines either. They are recountings the best people can remember. and I truely believe there are peole who really remember things that way. So if I chose to hold them at a distance that is fine. But core doctrines such as the nicean creed and Holy Scriptures I believe as absolutrely 100% true. some things fall into a catagory of not nessecarily true or untrue but right. its not a matter of belief. it just is.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

User Tag List