There is NOT one God - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Religious Studies > There is NOT one God
Verity's Avatar Verity 03:34 PM 08-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
ITA. Part of Jewish theology is that there's a spark of the Divine in each and every human being, and that makes each and every one of us connected to G-d Himself (/Herself/Itself) as well as to each other.

Does that make sense? It's not that the Divine Spark is a substitute for the big "one G-d of all Creation" but rather that both (G-d inside as well as G-d outside) exist simultaneously, because G-d is infinite and can be in all places (and times) at once.
Yes, it makes sense, but that's not what I believe.

I ventured away from the concept of God as creator of all because it brought up unanswerable questions about the nature of God. Why did God create human beings and give us free will if s/he knew that we would only use it to inflict horror upon each another? I find it very, very easy to get angry at what a supposedly omnipotent God chooses not to control, and find it impossible to feel a connection with that sort of God.

eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 09:56 PM 08-23-2007
I think that there is one God, and there are many Gods. To run with the disco ball analogy-- if a single mirror falls from the disco ball that is God, and is swept under a table and down through a crack in the floor, it neither creates nor reflects light (as there is no light to be reflected) but in my opinion, it is still God, just as much as it was (or wasn't) before, when it was stuck on the disco ball and reflecting happy sparkling bits of light.

Yes... I hold both concepts in my mind simultaneously, as well as the notion that there is no God, per-se (though I concede that I find it difficult to accept the idea that there is nothing greater than the sum-total of human experience).
Black Orchid 11:35 PM 08-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I ventured away from the concept of God as creator of all because it brought up unanswerable questions about the nature of God. Why did God create human beings and give us free will if s/he knew that we would only use it to inflict horror upon each another? I find it very, very easy to get angry at what a supposedly omnipotent God chooses not to control, and find it impossible to feel a connection with that sort of God.
i feel this way as well... but i also think something HAD to start it all, YK? it is why i have embrased the idea of a mother-goddess who provided the elements and environment for the universe and life to evolve and grow... but not a god/goddess who dictated what direction it took, set rules... and heck, maybe there is more than one... maybe they exist at the same or different times.
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 02:31 AM 08-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I think that there is one God, and there are many Gods. To run with the disco ball analogy-- if a single mirror falls from the disco ball that is God, and is swept under a table and down through a crack in the floor, it neither creates nor reflects light (as there is no light to be reflected) but in my opinion, it is still God, just as much as it was (or wasn't) before, when it was stuck on the disco ball and reflecting happy sparkling bits of light.

Yes... I hold both concepts in my mind simultaneously, as well as the notion that there is no God, per-se (though I concede that I find it difficult to accept the idea that there is nothing greater than the sum-total of human experience).
I don't see the distiction in concepts...

The "single mirror" that fell could easily be found, and reunited "glued" back into place with the "whole" ball. ykwim?
glorified_rice's Avatar glorified_rice 03:35 AM 08-24-2007
I don't "believe" in anything, because I just don't know and can't know the true nature of "god" or the universe or the essence of being or whatever you want to call it. I am perfectly content to not know, to revel in life's mysteries. In fact, that is part of what makes life so interesting and beautiful to me. What I do know is that none of the religions, philosophies or schools of thought have a monopoly on god. What I've found, is that they each have a part of the puzzle, but they all thoroughly lack the entire picture.
I have no idea whether there is one god, twenty gods or no god. I will never know. Maybe each person has their own individual god? So, that would come out to be about seven billion gods? Hey, it's just as possible as anything else.
So, to the OP, enjoy your journey of discovery. That's what I do each and every day. Not a day goes by that I am not in complete awe of this universe and everything in it. I marvel daily at all of the synchronicities that occur. Looking at a tree and the amazingly beautiful structure of a single leaf, or studying the intricate details of a rock sends shivers down my spine. That is how I connect with what I cannot understand.
eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 06:20 AM 08-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
I don't see the distiction in concepts...

The "single mirror" that fell could easily be found, and reunited "glued" back into place with the "whole" ball. ykwim?
But while the mirror is unattached, it is not generally considered, by most people looking at it, to be "a disco ball," nor even necessarily "part of a disco ball." And I'm asserting that it is, in and of itself, at least as "disco ball" as the ball itself.

As another analogy-- the smallest part of, say, iron that is still "iron" is a single Fe molecule. If said molecule was "God," I'd be asserting that neutrons, protons, and electrons are, likewise, "God." They are not merely part of God, but individually they are Gods as well.
transformed 02:08 AM 08-27-2007
Yeah. If everything is relative,(Dependent on or interconnected with something else; not absolute.) nothing is true.(Consistent with fact or reality)
eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 10:50 AM 08-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
Yeah. If everything is relative,(Dependent on or interconnected with something else; not absolute.) nothing is true.(Consistent with fact or reality)
: Nothing is true; everything is permitted. That's the deal.
transformed 10:58 AM 08-27-2007
except I belive God is true, so I guess you can take that statment as a beliver OR a non beliver.
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 02:02 PM 08-27-2007
Right. So, the assertion that "nothing is true", is a relative position--meaning, you can only claim this as your own "truth". Otherwise, you'd be arguing that relativism is an "absolute" truth--right?
witchygrrl's Avatar witchygrrl 03:52 PM 08-27-2007
Personally, I am a relativist, but I think of it this way.

There is Truth, which encompasses many truths about us, the world, the cosmos, deity/deities, etc. The commonalities within these truths are what bind us together and the differences force us to learn and expand upon what we know. But they are all important.

At the same time, we cannot monopolize individual truths as being Truth, because if we do, we lose sight of the bigger picture (though this often happens regardless).

I'm a polytheist/pantheist. Deity is all around us, within us, yet can manifest Itself in many ways to help us understand Truth/truths. We're all shades of the God/dess in my worldview.

And I will admit, some of my worldview comes from my studies as a theoretical linguist. My field aspires to define Language, with evidence from the many languages of the world. What do all languages have in common? How do they differ? What do these differences and commonalities tell us?

Just my two cents...
eilonwy's Avatar eilonwy 10:46 PM 08-27-2007
Quote:
Right. So, the assertion that "nothing is true", is a relative position--meaning, you can only claim this as your own "truth". Otherwise, you'd be arguing that relativism is an "absolute" truth--right?
Exactly-- it is my own truth. For now, it's absolute truth, relative though it be.

And now you understand (or don't!) why I am a Chaos Mage.
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 11:32 PM 08-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
And now you understand (or don't!) why I am a Chaos Mage.
Makes perfect sense, eilonwy
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 12:47 AM 08-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
Personally, I am a relativist, but I think of it this way.

There is Truth, which encompasses many truths about us, the world, the cosmos, deity/deities, etc. The commonalities within these truths are what bind us together and the differences force us to learn and expand upon what we know. But they are all important.

At the same time, we cannot monopolize individual truths as being Truth, because if we do, we lose sight of the bigger picture (though this often happens regardless).

I'm a polytheist/pantheist. Deity is all around us, within us, yet can manifest Itself in many ways to help us understand Truth/truths. We're all shades of the God/dess in my worldview.

And I will admit, some of my worldview comes from my studies as a theoretical linguist. My field aspires to define Language, with evidence from the many languages of the world. What do all languages have in common? How do they differ? What do these differences and commonalities tell us?

Just my two cents...
I'm curious, Heather. What is the "Truth" consistent with your beliefs? (As a polythesist/pantheist)
witchygrrl's Avatar witchygrrl 10:48 AM 08-28-2007
Quote:
I'm curious, Heather. What is the "Truth" consistent with your beliefs? (As a polythesist/pantheist)
For me, some of the truths I've found are that 1. the world is a sacred place, in the here and now, as much as anything can be considered sacred. 2. that shades of the divine can be found in all things, all places, and all people. 3. that when I need a rather obvious lesson, it will come in the form of a God/dess, generally from Egyptian mythology (which I resonate with), but I shouldn't rule anything out. Etc etc...

There is much I need to learn still. But my spiritual journey has been long and varied, and I expect it to continue to be so. Will I ever know Truth? I'm only ever going to see it as how I experience truths...I'm never going to see it the exact same way another person does. But I need to listen and feel and understand that fully, while at the same time I cannot let my own journey stagnate.
lolalola's Avatar lolalola 03:01 PM 08-29-2007
Thanks, Heather. Food for thought.
lisalou's Avatar lisalou 11:40 AM 08-30-2007
This reminds me an awful lot of reader response theory -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader_response_theory

which would definitely like the disco ball theory.
1  2  3

Up