Which sins are punishable by death in OT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some conservative christians seem especially appalled by homosexuality. And if you believe the bible says it's a sin, fine. But why not be as outraged as the other sins the bible gives the same fate to? Why so much vehemence against homosexuality and not plain fornication? Or gluttony? So Im wondering what sins the bible, mainly OT, classifies in the same category of sinfulness as homosexuality.
#2 of 17 Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM

The death penalty was proscribed for 36 offenses - murder, adultery, and yes, homosexuality. However, the conditions under which it could be carried out were very strict. There had to be 2 eyewitnesses who informed the person "Stop! what you are about to do will result in the death penalty!" Needless to say, it was rarely carried out. There is a recorded statement in the Talmud that a Sanhedrin that carried out the death penalty once in 70 years was considered a "bloody court".
#3 of 17 Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 AM

I, as a committed christian would answer that question by saying that the sort or sect of christians you described are like that because they have their focus on the wrong things. The bible (as a whole) is a book for christians to use and study in order to examine themselves, before they even consider confronting anyone else with thier sins. I really cant understand it either. As mentioned I am a christian and I love love love Jesus Christ. That is my own focus. I personally dont focus on another person's sin. Or think of one sin as greater than another in the eyes of Christ.

Quote:
So Im wondering what sins the bible, mainly OT, classifies in the same category of sinfulness as homosexuality
Personally, its not something Ive really considered. I can only answer the first part of your question.
#4 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostAPpropriate View Post
Some conservative christians seem especially appalled by homosexuality. And if you believe the bible says it's a sin, fine. But why not be as outraged as the other sins the bible gives the same fate to? Why so much vehemence against homosexuality and not plain fornication? Or gluttony? So Im wondering what sins the bible, mainly OT, classifies in the same category of sinfulness as homosexality.

I am a bible-believing Christian who believes homosexuality is a sin, but I too have wondered why there is not as much outrage over other sexual sins (fornication, adultary, lust). Even though I do think it is a sin, it saddens me that some "Christians" treat homosexual people like they are especially sinful. We are all depraved and saved only by God's grace. We need to reach out and love people more.

What I could think of is that homosexual marriage and such is at the forfront so it is getting the most attention from the church.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#5 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
other sexual sins (fornication, adultary, lust).

Maybe I'm missing something in the translation, but my understanding of the term "fornication" is sexual intercourse.

There's nothing sinful about sexual intercourse. At least according to the people of the so-called-by-Christians "OT."

And to be precise, the "homosexuality" at issue is entirely about one particular sexual act between men.
#6 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Maybe I'm missing something in the translation, but my understanding of the term "fornication" is sexual intercourse.

There's nothing sinful about sexual intercourse. At least according to the people of the so-called-by-Christians "OT."

And to be precise, the "homosexuality" at issue is entirely about one particular sexual act between men.
Here is a defn of fornication--
http://education.yahoo.com/reference...ry/fornication

Quote:
Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#7 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.
So where's the law against that?

My understanding is that it's only forbidden if some other law forbids sex or marriage for the couple (such as incest, adultery etc).

I've also been told that that the couple is considered to be married after they do it (that is, it's one of the possible ways to get married) which could be inconvenient.
#8 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM

It could be (and has been) argued that all sin is punishable by death, in the end.

I suspect there's so much focus on the heathen queers (including me) because we're easy targets, what with our in-your-face "lifestyle" and who's running the country just now.
#9 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sexual intercourse between non-married partners is NOT considered a "sin" in Judaism. It's not recomended, but it's nowhere near the level of "offense" that adultery is.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
The death penalty was proscribed for 36 offenses - murder, adultery, and yes, homosexuality. However, the conditions under which it could be carried out were very strict. There had to be 2 eyewitnesses who informed the person "Stop! what you are about to do will result in the death penalty!" Needless to say, it was rarely carried out. There is a recorded statement in the Talmud that a Sanhedrin that carried out the death penalty once in 70 years was considered a "bloody court".
Did one need additional witnesses to prove that the witnesses witnessed the act?

Just asking.
#11 of 17 Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM

I assume that there is less room for false testimony if there are two witnesses.
#12 of 17 Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 17 Old 08-23-2007, 02:46 AM

Nose picking. And, I got witnesses! And, witnesses to the witnesses! We'll have fun at the stoning tonight. I got my false beard and packet of gravel.

"To lose the sense of sacredness of the world is a mortal loss. To injure our world by excesses of greed and ingenuity is to endanger our own sacredness."    Ursula K. Le Guin
#14 of 17 Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM

To the OP: Those Christians who are outraged by homosexuality as opposed to other sins are really just spinning in circles, IMO. Just to clarify, I am a born-again Christian, but am not evangelical, and I do not meet with a denominational church. According to the Bible, the wages of sin, any sin, is death. So, basically any time there is a sin there has to be a sacrifice, or a death. In the OT before Jesus had died on the cross, offerings were made as sacrifices to God for sin. Now, in the New Testament, since Jesus has died for our sins, the sacrifice for our sins has already been made. Therefore, all we must do for any sin is to ask forgiveness, and God will forgive us. This is not to say that, for certain things, we will not face consequences. If we break the law, we must face the justice system. We also must take care any offenses that we commit towards one another (apologize to those we hurt, ext.). So even though God will forgive us, we ourselves create consequences when we choose to do the wrong thing, and we must face those things and deal with them.

So, as a Christian, I believe that we should focus on our inner hearts, and follow the will of the Lord, and not on judging others (which we cannot do, because we are all sinful in some way).

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#15 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM

nm

Momma to the monkeys three
#16 of 17 Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 PM

your suposed to stone to death homosexuals, people who work on the sabeth, women who were mens clothing, disobedeant children,and i think theres more i just cant remember right now.
#17 of 17 Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 AM

I agree, there is little reason to focus so much on homosexual acts rather than on any other form of fornication. It is a matter of cultural bias, I suppose.

The worst sins, as I understand it, are those which are sacrilegious or blasphemous toward God or toward something sacred, and execution is recommended for several thing in that category: idolatry, defiling the Sabbath, desecration of holy things, spoken blasphemy, etc. There are descriptions of people being struck dead by God rather than executed for sacrilegious acts: the sons of Aaron, for performing a sacrifice in an improper way; and Uzzah for touching the Ark of the Covenant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page