talk to me about wifely submission and gender roles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
firstly tell me why. why do you do it? why do you feel it is "right" to do? etc

TIA!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
 
frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where footprints dance in the snow
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
frog is offline  
#3 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
 
simplelah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im interested as well.

:
simplelah is offline  
#4 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

I guess we can all eat popcorn as we talk!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#5 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
 
frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where footprints dance in the snow
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, there's common ground, anyhow, eh?

I'll drag some of my questions from the other thread over here, maybe...
frog is offline  
#6 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
 
Arduinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 31,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering that this topic invariably leads to insults I'm not sure how much of a response you are going to get. People will just use this opportunity to post rolleye smilies and remind everyone how much they disagree with their choice.

ETA or to remind people of how women who would make this choice are somehow damaged and that it's impossible for any healthy person to choose such a thing.

Not saying that you started this for that purpose Mags, just that we have BTDT on this topic before.
Arduinna is offline  
#7 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:07 PM
 
frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where footprints dance in the snow
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess my basic question is this:

How does "wifely submission" differ from garden-variety gender roles in a regular het marriage? Does it?
frog is offline  
#8 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK. I'll be the first to say something, I guess. I am in a standard gender role and try to be a submissive wife. To me, they are separate categories but can bleed over onto one another when looked at from the outside.

I willingly submit to my husband's authority in our house. He is the head and I am what I love to refer to as the neck. So he is the 'boss' but I can turn him just about any way I really want to! But I enjoy the rest, for lack of a better word, that I get from allowing someone else to take the responsibility from me. Being the "boss" is a very heavy burden to carry. I enjoy the feeling of stepping out from under that burden and letting someone else carry it.

I am also in the standard woman's gender role. That is because that is where I am suppose to be (I am designed that way). I enjoy baking, sewing, cooking, and having children. I enjoy being pg. I enjoy holding my babies. I enjoy keeping house. I enjoy being around my children all day long. I do NOT enjoy working outside of the house, have done it, not fun. I LOVE being a wife and mother. It makes me happy and has been my dream from the time I was 12.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#9 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
 
daniedb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I'm qualified to speak on "wifely submission" because the idea of submitting to my husband, that the structure of our relationship is defined by my submission to him, is way far off the mark of what our relationship is. There was a great article quoted in the OP about the Ephesians verses from which marital submission is most often referenced in modern churches.

Here's how we interpret it - God is deliberate, and the words of Scripture have a purposeful placement. The first thing that the Bible instructs is that husbands love their wives as Christ loved the church, to be willing to give up his life. If one takes a snapshot of Christ's life, He was overall, a kind and loving man, with an intense drive for truth and justice. He was non-judgmental, but also stood up strongly for what He believed to be right according to God. When it came to His followers, His believers, he chose to be tortured, humiliated, and killed for them - slowly and brutally, which is the ultimate way of setting aside one's own desires and selfishness. THEN...God instructs us, as women, to respect our husbands. It is my firm belief that the order is right there, as it is presented in the Bible, that the husband is first responsible for being other-focused in his marriage, that he strives to lead by sacrificing. Not by making all the decisions, but by setting aside his selfish pursuits that might cause the marriage to be out of synch (for example, that he wants to go fishing all weekend, but he's a dad and husband and so chooses to spend the weekend with his family, or takes his kids fishing and then comes home early to take his wife on a date), and that women, *in response*, can respect this man that doesn't just declare his love with words, but lives a life of love by his choices and actions.

The submission, IMO, has zip to do with financial/household/familial decisions and everything to do with how we treat one another. It's about mutually respecting each other's gifts and abilities and empowering ourselves as a couple by combining those gifts.

This is an example from our marriage: I was attempting to do this kind of submission thing as taught by an old church of ours (that didn't last long - our church attendance there). One thing I did was always "let" DH drive. Because he's the man, right? And the man needs to be the driver of the home, and what a great opportunity to show him that I trust him and turn over my "need" to "drive" by a literal metaphor! Good stuff, right? Well, I remember about 2 weeks into it, after the fiftieth time he missed the exit, and the forty-seventh time he was going 45 in the 70 lane and I had bit my tongue and bit it and bit it and bit it and just stayed calm and smiling because I was submitting, dammit. Finally, I couldn't take it, when we ended up 30 minutes late because he drove past the exit we needed. We just both yakked it up about it, sparring back and forth and realized that both of us hated what we were doing. He hates to drive, he is NOT gifted in navigation, and he LOVES it when I say, "Turn here, turn there. The exit is in a mile. Now in a 1/2 mile. Exit here. HERE! EXIIIIITTTTT!" because he is not so much a GPS system.

I've since learned that that literal example is a great metaphor for other areas of our lives. I am better at directions, so I drive and navigate. Or he drives and I navigate. I am terrific at planning, so I make plans for us as a couple with friends and he's thrilled that we have things to do that he doesn't have to decide about. He's very, very gifted in finance, and so he is in charge of paying the bills and we both sit down to budget together. There are certainly things that I ask him to make the final decision on, if I'm feeling out of my league or too emotional to see straight. And there are things he asks me to decide, if he's too emotionally entangled or doesn't feel he has enough knowledge.

The idea of "wifely submission" to me, is just off the mark of what Jesus intends for our relationship. My husband feels cherished, valued and respected even when I make decisions. As do I, when he does. Even if he disagrees with some of them, he also tells me that he trusts my judgment and he will agree to be on board, even if he doesn't understand why or how...because I'm a smart lady. For him to be the final decision maker in our marriage is just ... illogical. God doesn't sit up there and make all our final decisions for us, we have to take that responsibility on ourselves, so why should our husbands have that power?

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
daniedb is offline  
#10 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
 
Brigianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: who knows?
Posts: 7,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak, bear with me.

I would mention, first of all, that gender roles and submission aren't the same thing. There is the assumption or stereotype that in a relationship of submission, power exchange, whatever you want to call it, that it is a traditional gender role family, i.e. the husband is woh, does repairs, physical stuff, and the wife is sahm, does childcare, housework, cooking, etc. This is not necessarily true. There are submissives with high-powered careers, head-of-household men who are sahds, all kinds of arrangements.

As to the why... thisi s of course going to be different for each family. To me it is about self improvement. Become a better person by serving someone else.

I'll respond more coherently later.
Brigianna is offline  
#11 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
 
heythere heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: California
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I guess my basic question is this:

How does "wifely submission" differ from garden-variety gender roles in a regular het marriage? Does it?
It differs a lot in my marriage! We aren't very standard in a lot of gender roles. My DH does most of the laundry in our house. I pay the bills. That doesn't affect our interpretation of submission at all!

While I believe it's a valid Biblical concept, it doesn't affect our marriage in such a radical way as I see others mentioning. It's not a struggle for me. My DH doesn't make all of the decisions in our house, for sure! I actually can only think of a handful of times where I've deferred to him on a decision where I totally disagree. And in those cases, someone has to "win", yk? I trust that my DH has our best interests in mind, and if he's totally convinced of something, then there has been occasion where we'll go his way. But it's so seldom, and so not major, that I can't even think of an example. In addition, there are probably even more times that my DH has "allowed" me to make that final decision when we disagree.

Overall, we feel it is very important to make decisions together, for our marriage. That requires both of us making sacrifices sometimes. And in the Ephesians 5 passage, I concentrate most of my energy on respecting him. It works out well for us. But there's not much "typical" gender roles. In fact, in one mom's group I'm in, I provide a lot of the insight for the other wives who are getting annoyed at their husbands for various things. All that they get annoyed at--it's normally something that *I* do, as well. And it provides me with good insight into my DH's personality, because it so often reflects what I hear from the other women.


Quote:
Originally Posted by daniedb View Post

Here's how we interpret it - God is deliberate, and the words of Scripture have a purposeful placement. The first thing that the Bible instructs is that husbands love their wives as Christ loved the church, to be willing to give up his life. If one takes a snapshot of Christ's life, He was overall, a kind and loving man, with an intense drive for truth and justice. He was non-judgmental, but also stood up strongly for what He believed to be right according to God. When it came to His followers, His believers, he chose to be tortured, humiliated, and killed for them - slowly and brutally, which is the ultimate way of setting aside one's own desires and selfishness. THEN...God instructs us, as women, to respect our husbands. It is my firm belief that the order is right there, as it is presented in the Bible, that the husband is first responsible for being other-focused in his marriage, that he strives to lead by sacrificing. Not by making all the decisions, but by setting aside his selfish pursuits that might cause the marriage to be out of synch (for example, that he wants to go fishing all weekend, but he's a dad and husband and so chooses to spend the weekend with his family, or takes his kids fishing and then comes home early to take his wife on a date), and that women, *in response*, can respect this man that doesn't just declare his love with words, but lives a life of love by his choices and actions.

The submission, IMO, has zip to do with financial/household/familial decisions and everything to do with how we treat one another. It's about mutually respecting each other's gifts and abilities and empowering ourselves as a couple by combining those gifts.

The idea of "wifely submission" to me, is just off the mark of what Jesus intends for our relationship. My husband feels cherished, valued and respected even when I make decisions. As do I, when he does. Even if he disagrees with some of them, he also tells me that he trusts my judgment and he will agree to be on board, even if he doesn't understand why or how...because I'm a smart lady. For him to be the final decision maker in our marriage is just ... illogical. God doesn't sit up there and make all our final decisions for us, we have to take that responsibility on ourselves, so why should our husbands have that power?
Ah, I should have read Danielle's beautiful post first before I started trying to form coherent thoughts. Our marriage sounds very similar to how they approach submission. And yes, I agree--submission has nothing to do with who is cooking or doing the laundry, or even making the decisions.
heythere heather is offline  
#12 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 05:36 PM
 
woobysma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: over the moon
Posts: 2,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moving over from the other thread..... (thanks Mags

I've read a few threads about submission and it seems like the women who are happiest seem to just naturally fall into the "submissive" role - either because they trust their partner or agree most of the time, so it's kind of a moot point... or sometimes because they are so tired of being "in charge" all day with kids and family that it's a welcome change to have DP take over.

That all seems TOTALLY reasonable, imo, and not very controversial.

I'm wondering, though (and this question is really just for those women who are content and happy in their marriage) - would you have picked this type of marriage regardless of the man you married... or does it work for you because of your unique relationship? Did you choose a partner with this kind of dynamic in mind? Or did it just naturally evolve?
woobysma is offline  
#13 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobysma View Post
I'm wondering, though (and this question is really just for those women who are content and happy in their marriage) - would you have picked this type of marriage regardless of the man you married... or does it work for you because of your unique relationship? Did you choose a partner with this kind of dynamic in mind? Or did it just naturally evolve?
For me, I guess it would have to be both. I would have picked this type of marriage regardless, because that is just how I am. But it works because of our unique relationship. But then again, I believe in that one specific person that compliments you in life. And that you should wait for that person. And that when you find that person, you will naturally compliment each other and balance each other. I chose my Husband because I felt he was my Match. My soul mate that God had created specifically for me. And over time, our relationship evolved into the great thing we have today.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#14 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Considering that this topic invariably leads to insults I'm not sure how much of a response you are going to get. People will just use this opportunity to post rolleye smilies and remind everyone how much they disagree with their choice.

ETA or to remind people of how women who would make this choice are somehow damaged and that it's impossible for any healthy person to choose such a thing.

Not saying that you started this for that purpose Mags, just that we have BTDT on this topic before.
this is my major concern. i was giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. because i do believe in gender roles i'm expecting to get my share of eyerolls and snarks. so PLEASE can we keep this open? i am genuinely curious.

ETA- certain gender roles, not all. my DH babywears and gets up at night with the kiddos and does his share of laundry, dishes, etc. just wanted to make that clear. i just firmly believe that each gender has it's own duties and responsibilities.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#15 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM
 
KatWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Affton, MO
Posts: 10,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so confused on what submission is suppose to mean. Till I ventured into this forum I have never ever heard of it. Does it mean my husband says what I can wear? Who my friends can be? If thats the case, thats something I want no part of. This is my opinion, that borders on mental abuse.

My husband and I have an equal partnership. He is better at some things than I am. I am better at other things. If one needs help (like I normally do the laundry, but that doesn't mean my husband won't do it if he sees the laundry basket full. Like this morning he put the dark clothes in the washer before he went to work) the other picks up the slack.

I guess thats my version of what a marriage is.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

KatWrangler is offline  
#16 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 PM
 
woobysma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: over the moon
Posts: 2,997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still not sure, either. Some parts of it sound like my marriage even though we're not Christian, don't buy into gender roles and don't read the bible..... we actually like each other, though, and try to be nice to one another. Sometimes, I even **GASP** do things I don't really care about because they are important to DP
I don't see that as being submissive.

I guess what's always baffled me a bit is I've heard stories of submissive wives in some really just horrifically bad marriages - abuse or extreme selfishness and neglect on the part of the husband, etc. and they stay because they're "submissive", and then there are other posts by wives who claim to be part of this belief who seem to have wonderful relationships and obviously speak up for themselves and are *not at all* what I would describe as a "doormat" or any of the other names that get thrown around.

So, if you pick the "wrong" guy, can you change your mind? Does God allow for spiritual growth that leads one to wake up one morning and realize she's married an ass? Or what if your husband is stopping you from fulfilling your role as a Christian? What if God says you shoudl be a teacher and you're very good at it, but your husband says you aren't allowed to work or go to school?

Where does the rubber meet the road?, I guess is my question.......



I wish I wasn't at work right now. I'm trying to wrap my head around it, but I'm being pulled in about 10 different directions right now. : I'll check back in later tonight. Gotta go riht now.
woobysma is offline  
#17 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
 
angelpie545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near water, with a refreshing rain
Posts: 6,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might be an unpopular view, but I believe that when God said He wanted wives to be submissive, I believe He meant in mostly a spiritual sense, as in the husband is to lead the family to Christ. I don't believe that He meant the wives should *let* husband "be in charge", or make all the decisions, ext. I think that's stretching scripture, personally-but if that's how you want to live your life, then more power to you. Also, the husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her. If the husband loves his wife with all his heart, he will value and cherish her opinions, and listen to her as an equal sayer of things in the household. So, while yes the husband is the head, he is also bound by the things in the Bible when Christ says to love her as Christ loved the church. It's give and take, in a sense: the wife adores and love her husband, and vice/versa; even with the husband as the spiritual head and leader of the household, the wife still has her say and equality.

FWIW, I respect my husband as the head of my household, but if he makes a wrong decision, I'll confront him then and there and we discuss it. I DO pray about things that he does, but I also let him know nicely how I feel. I'm not a doormat (I am NOT saying that all submissive wives are, not by ANY MEANS..but some out there boderline on it); I'm a person with feelings that deserve respect.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

angelpie545 is offline  
#18 of 228 Old 10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
 
whimsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MO
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I classify myself as a submissive wife, but I bet it's not what most people have in mind.

I am more the "boss" especially at work. (we run our own business)

But if there was something that DH felt strongly enough about to play the head of household card, I would defer to him.

UNLESS - it was something that would go against God. He is my ultimate authority.

If he was being an abusive in any way, I ALWAYS have the right to leave. I can live somewhere else without divorcing, OR when the situation calls for it, the church can condone a divorce.

I could always obtain a legal divorce, but I believe my marriage is spiritual covenant and the legal document is a separate thing.

Specifically regarding clothing - my DH does let me know what he thinks I look best in. I almost always accommodate because I value his opinion and hey, he's the one I'm taking to bed at night.

You can totally be a submissive, boundary setting wife.

The churches that are allowing abuse in the name of submission are going to be in BIG trouble IMO.
whimsy is offline  
#19 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
 
theretohere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jumping in, too.
My DH is the head of the house and fufills the typical 'male' role of our family. He is the one to WOH, he takes care of all the finances, he has final say on decisions. I ask him before I spend money, I defer to his wishes. Why? Because I believe that God intended this for marriage- not just my marriage, but all marriages. I know that isn't a popular view.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
theretohere is offline  
#20 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM
 
AstridS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Jumping in, too.
My DH is the head of the house and fufills the typical 'male' role of our family. He is the one to WOH, he takes care of all the finances, he has final say on decisions. I ask him before I spend money, I defer to his wishes. Why? Because I believe that God intended this for marriage- not just my marriage, but all marriages. I know that isn't a popular view.
But what if you marry someone, who is not that good at taking care of the finances and other 'male' roles? Are you just supposed to sit back and let him destroy the family? Or is this where the 'he is the head I am the neck' thing comes in? And doesn't that just turn in to manipulating him?
Truly, no snark intented, I'm really curious and I'm having a hard time understanding this.
AstridS is offline  
#21 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Jumping in, too.
My DH is the head of the house and fufills the typical 'male' role of our family. He is the one to WOH, he takes care of all the finances, he has final say on decisions. I ask him before I spend money, I defer to his wishes. Why? Because I believe that God intended this for marriage- not just my marriage, but all marriages. I know that isn't a popular view.
See that's what angers me. People can do what they want, but to say what all marriages should be like that is disturbing.

I would never sit here and tell you that my marriage is correct, and yours is wrong and should be like mine.

God wants us to use our strengths and gifts. What if they do not fall in under the typical gendered area?

I also find it funny and sad that I have seen so many wifely submission threads filled with pleas and ideas to passive aggressively manipulate the husband to do what the wife wants, while abdicating personal responsibility. Not very submissive and very sneaky.

My partner and I have talked about this before when it's come up on message boards, and he was even more disturbed than I. He wants a partner, not a child.

It also bothers me when people call it Christian marriage because that isn't what all Christians believe.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
#22 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 AM
 
dealic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing
dealic is offline  
#23 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
 
Ms.QsMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: I left my heart in Washington.
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
See that's what angers me. People can do what they want, but to say what all marriages should be like that is disturbing.

I would never sit here and tell you that my marriage is correct, and yours is wrong and should be like mine.

God wants us to use our strengths and gifts. What if they do not fall in under the typical gendered area?

I also find it funny and sad that I have seen so many wifely submission threads filled with pleas and ideas to passive aggressively manipulate the husband to do what the wife wants, while abdicating personal responsibility. Not very submissive and very sneaky.

My partner and I have talked about this before when it's come up on message boards, and he was even more disturbed than I. He wants a partner, not a child.

It also bothers me when people call it Christian marriage because that isn't what all Christians believe.
ITA. The whole, "He's the head and I'm the neck" thing seems to really just fly in the face of what you're trying to achieve with submission anyways. If you're just going to manipulate your husband into doing what you want and let him think he's made the decision to stroke his ego, that just seems really dishonest and sorry to say, but odd.:

Why does your hubby have to be in control in order to treat you with respect, or like a "queen"?

Also, I've heard a few of you mention that in an argument someone has to "win" and that's why your DH should be "boss". What's wrong with compromise? There is always a middle ground.

BBL when I have more time. This thread is really interesting.
Ms.QsMama is offline  
#24 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
 
MamaWindmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Jumping in, too.
My DH is the head of the house and fufills the typical 'male' role of our family. He is the one to WOH, he takes care of all the finances, he has final say on decisions. I ask him before I spend money, I defer to his wishes. Why? Because I believe that God intended this for marriage- not just my marriage, but all marriages. I know that isn't a popular view.
Why do you need to ask him permission to spend money? How is this leading the family?
MamaWindmill is offline  
#25 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
 
frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where footprints dance in the snow
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is "wifely submission" different from "dom/sub", if at all? Is the former supposed to be Bible-based and the latter...not?
frog is offline  
#26 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
 
BundleFishMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feeling a need to jump in here and clarify a bit from my POV... in our church/our way of viewing marriage, the idea of wifely submission comes from the Bible verse (Ephesians) about the wife obeying the husband (which is one of the Scripture readings we had at our wedding).

BUT - and it's a very important BUT - the very next thing it says in that verse is that husbands are to love their wives as they love their own selves/as Christ loves the Church (meaning: to the point of total self-sacrifice, ready and willing to die for her). So in our theology that is taken to mean that a woman is only supposed to be submissive to her husband insofar as he is loving her in that way. Thus, if a husband were abusive, lazy, horrid, leading the family to ruin, etc. (some some PPs mentioned) then a wife would certainly not expected to submit to that!

So yes, I believe that when my DH is heading our family in a way that shows true love (putting us first, loving us as Christ loves the Church) then yes, generally I should obey him. This doesn't mean I'm a slave, "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" or whatever - I'm free to share my opinion, etc. of course. But I disagree with the PP who said that compromise is always possible - sometimes it's not. Sometimes there is no middle ground, it's black or white and a tough call needs to be made. And it's not all about decisions - it's more about general attitude, I find.

However, though I believe this from an intellectual/theological standpoint, in actual practice I suck at it! I was raised in a nonreligious family with very different ideas about marriage, so I really had no good examples, growing up, of the kind of marriage I want to have. And I'm a very strong, proud, bossy, headstrong person by nature - so this is a daily (hourly?! LOL) struggle for me. But when I work at being more "womanly" and letting my DH be more "manly" (yes, as unpopular as that view may be here on MDC, I do believe there are such things) the family functions much better and we ALL (myself included) are much happier.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

BundleFishMama is offline  
#27 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 AM
 
CarenSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well everyone knows where I stand on this one, because I let it all hang out on the other thread! Here's what I wrote before:
Quote:
I REALLY do not agree that a Biblically based marriage has either partner in the position of making all the decisions. I am 5 years into my own marriage, and my parents are 30+ years into theirs, and each of these marriages has been based on the verse in Ephesians 5 that says "Submit to one another in love." When each partner is using her/his gifts to the glory of God, and sacrificially encouraging the other partner to do the same, questions of who has the final authority do not need to be an issue. If you have been making financial decisions for years on your own, instead of turning them over to him with fear in your heart, perhaps you could come along side one another and work on them together. Marriage is a delicate dance of trusting your partner and trusting yourself. Both are necessary ingredients for a healthy marriage.

Remember two things, you are each created in the image of God (and therefore the marriage needs both of you participating to your full potential in order to be the most Godly) and no two marriages are the same. Of all my Christian friends with healthy Godly marriages, NONE of them mirror the Knight/Queen imagery that is so nourishing for Kidzaplenty (and many others, I'm sure). That is a template that works well for some couples but not for others. It is not the only way to have a Christian marriage. Seek God together, and trust that with God's help you can discover the unique depth of intimacy that you were created to find together, in the Holy Spirit.
\

Quote:
I know this isn't the place for debate, but I want to point out that there are a number of ways of interpreting this passage, and many Christians draw differing conclusions on what Paul was emphasizing. If you are interested in reading more on the topic, the evangelical organization Christians For Biblical Equality has some great articles here and here.
I believe in wifely submission, and I also believe in husbandly submission. We submit to one another in love. Christ's way is one of a radical reversal of all the earthly power structures, and as my husband and I each seek to be conformed to Christ's image, we seek to give ourselves up and come under the other in support. The beauty of it is that in giving of ourselves, each partner is seeking the other's best, and both of our needs are taken care of. This is the ideal of course, and it doesn't always happen this way! There are plenty of times when we are both selfish and cruel, but this is our goal. We reject the idea that there needs to be a "boss" or "leader." There is always a third way. Jesus did not come to be a boss but to serve. That is something that women and men can both be challenged by. There is a long history of Christians who seek to treat all humans with equal respect, starting with Paul's message in Romans that "there is no longer Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female" and continuing today through the Quakers and other such groups. Power differentials in human relationships came as part of the curse, and I believe that Christ shows us a new way of relating one to another. There are a handful of verses in the NT that are used to justify "different roles" in marriage, but there are over a hundred verses that talk about "one another" and our mutuality. I really feel like so much of the emphasis on "roles" CAN have the effect of reinforcing tension between men and women, and our differences, rather than promoting harmony and unity. Of course, there are differences between us, which is EXACTLY why men and women need to be partners in all areas of life, so that all things can be informed by the unique perspectives of each.

Okay, I have to stop rambling, but I had to pull out this quote
Quote:
I can get more accomplished by being softer and sweeter than I can by screeching instructions at him or taking over everything.
and say that it doesn't have to be either/or. My husband and I work together. I am not domineering and demanding, but niether am I always vey "soft." I am a full participant in every aspect of our life together.
CarenSwan is offline  
#28 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
 
CarenSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BundleFishMama, thank you for your thoughtful post. I think it is always helpful to have a window into the lives of others.
Quote:
But when I work at being more "womanly" and letting my DH be more "manly" (yes, as unpopular as that view may be here on MDC, I do believe there are such things) the family functions much better and we ALL (myself included) are much happier.
I am so glad that this works for you, and it seems to work well for many! When that is the case, I think that's great. What I do not accept, however, is the idea that this type of marriage works for all couples. While I feel fine about making some broad gender stereotypes, not every man or woman fits into their respective box. Some women are just plain born leaders and some women are not very nurturing, while some men are nurturing and some men are born to follow. What always amazes me about the example of Christ is that he treated each person he met as an individual. He did not follow what was expected in that day in terms of how to treat women. In fact, he radically challenged cultural norms around women's roles all the time. I am a feminist insofar as I believe that while gender differences exist to some extent, they are not DESTINY!
CarenSwan is offline  
#29 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
 
theretohere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWindmill View Post
Why do you need to ask him permission to spend money? How is this leading the family?
I ask him before spending money because he does the finances- I honestly don't know how much is in an account on a given day.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
theretohere is offline  
#30 of 228 Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
 
frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: where footprints dance in the snow
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question: I know that in many dom/sub relationships, there's a "safe word." Does something similar exist in "wifely submission" relationships?
frog is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off