Year of living biblically - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see this posted here, and found this guy (and his year) very interesting. I saw him interviewed on The Hour.
Seems like a very nice, gentle guy. (Don't know why that matters, except that I liked him more. lol)

http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 16 Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
I didn't see this posted here, and found this guy (and his year) very interesting. I saw him interviewed on The Hour.
Seems like a very nice, gentle guy. (Don't know why that matters, except that I liked him more. lol)

http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp
Very interesting! Thank you so much for posting this.
#3 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Looks super interesting. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't really care what someone else chooses to do (as in I am not looking to debate about this man) but if is this the same guy I read about in the NYT, I really don't get it.

Unless he meant *just* the Jewish Bible/Old Testament/Torah. Because to a lot (if not most) Americans today, the "Bible" means the black book in church on Sundays, and that has nothing to do with what he is talking about.

If he were following *that* Bible, he would be out giving his stuff away and doing everything in love, and realize we are not under the law, etc.

I think in a way, even though the guy seems very nice, he is almost trying to make fun of religion. Just MHO, but the picture I saw with the article (a guy standing in the modern city with long hair and old clothes looking like Moses, and posed all dramatic) made it look like he was trying to show how silly and out of place those rules are in today's reality.
#5 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I don't really care what someone else chooses to do (as in I am not looking to debate about this man) but if is this the same guy I read about in the NYT, I really don't get it.

Unless he meant *just* the Jewish Bible/Old Testament/Torah. Because to a lot (if not most) Americans today, the "Bible" means the black book in church on Sundays, and that has nothing to do with what he is talking about.

If he were following *that* Bible, he would be out giving his stuff away and doing everything in love, and realize we are not under the law, etc.

I think in a way, even though the guy seems very nice, he is almost trying to make fun of religion. Just MHO, but the picture I saw with the article (a guy standing in the modern city with long hair and old clothes looking like Moses, and posed all dramatic) made it look like he was trying to show how silly and out of place those rules are in today's reality.
Well, he claims outright he is Jewish, so I think that means he means "that" bible, YK? I could be wrong, I'm still just a few paragraps into the first page. But I think I might steal one of his lines for my sig!

Oh, and I wonder if e actually stoned anyone?

Looks like you have to buy the book to read more of the story, bummer.
#6 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
made it look like he was trying to show how silly and out of place those rules are in today's reality.
Actually I think that is the case a bit. I don't think he was trying to "make fun of religion" necessarily, but more that he was trying to show how important or valuable a critical, mindful, and modern reading and application of the bible can be as opposed to a literal interpretation.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Actually I think that is the case a bit. I don't think he was trying to "make fun of religion" necessarily, but more that he was trying to show how important or valuable a critical, mindful, and modern reading and application of the bible can be as opposed to a literal interpretation.
that's what i got from it, too.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#8 of 16 Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM

The thing it said to me most is he knows nothing about his Judaism. And it seems that's all he's making fun of, because those laws *are* followed today by Jews. And no, my clothes are not ever mixtures of wool and linen, and if I would be concerned that they might be kh'v'sh, I'd take them to specific laboratories that test for this ... as just one example. And these laws are *not* understood through "literal interpretation," either.

And it's entirely possible to be "in today's reality" and to follow those rules, too. My scientist DH and Prof. Robert Aumann, the 2005 winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, are both people who also don't mix wool and linen. Among other assorted "silly rules."

About Prof. Aumann's Nobel ceremony ...

<clip>"The banquet has a stringent men's dress code: black tailcoat with silk facings, sharply cut away at the front, black trousers with two rows of braid down each leg, a white stiff wing collar attached to the shirt with collar studs, white bow tie, and a white low-cut waistcoat.

An unexpected problem wasted much of Aumann's precious time this week. A Swedish rabbi brought the mandatory tails to Israel to test it for sha'atnez, the biblically forbidden fabric combination of wool and linen, since there is no sha'atnez lab in Sweden. Aumann discovered the tails indeed contained sha'atnez, which had to be removed by someone with expertise in the laws of kosher cloth."

But anyway, the guy in the OP surely is getting a lot of attention this way, isn't he.
#9 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 PM

I just wanted to truly apologize if my wording was off. I don't mean the rules are silly, and I do see that that can be followed today. I have the utmost respect for the Jewish religion. I just poorly worded what I wanted to say (due to four little DC bouncing off the walls around me, along with a bad case of pregnancy brain fog).

I meant, IMO, that the guy was trying to make the rules look silly. And by not following them today, I meant ones like stoning people or a man not marrying both a mother and her daughter... you know, ones that most people don't do today- in modern America there isn't a lot of stoning going on, Jewish or not. That's all.

So maybe I am still mangling what I am trying to say here, but the negativity is aimed solely at the guy, and not at anything Jewish. Sorry I'm not being very eloquent here.
#10 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM

I know that, you were just responding to what he was doing, without seeing it the full picture, because it's not your picture. If you were Jewish, you would've seen it.

No malicious intent was assumed in the first place.

And as an OT aside ...

Quote:
in modern America there isn't a lot of stoning going on, Jewish or not.
A particular Jew named Zimmerman strongly disagrees.

(And to anyone who gets it, 2 pts. )
#11 of 16 Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Okay, I feel better. You know what I am trying to say even though I can't find the way to say it. I really need to get some sleep...
#12 of 16 Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 AM

Everybody must get stoned! :
#13 of 16 Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 AM

2 pts.
#14 of 16 Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM

I love you Amy!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#15 of 16 Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM

Ok, Amy, that is friggin' hilarious.

BTW, FWIW, I found the book the other day in the bookstore shelved under the humor section rather than the religion section.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#16 of 16 Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM

I've seen and heard a couple of different interviews with him. I don't know about the book, but I actually thought he was very sincere, and not trying to denigrate religion.

After that year, he says he is still an agnostic (a "reverent agnostic"), but that "living Biblically" changed him in good ways, and there are still some things that he tries to follow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page