I got Chick tracts from Amazon (used book.) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so, so, so furious. I bought a used book (volume 4 of a history of Christianity series by Jaroslav Pelikan) and it came with three stupid bigoted nasty crappy Chick tracts and a little note wishing me a good day. :

So - other than the appropriate feedback and a very, very strongly worded letter to Amazon, anything I can do? I'm so glad my (reading!) child didn't notice them - they at least weren't among the most offensive of the tracts, but I'm still really angry.

The Wiki reference, if you're (blessedly) in the dark about these bits of garbage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_tracts

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 PM

eeeeew! i was completely in the dark and it was pretty blissful. other than what you're already planning, not too sure what else to do unless you want to pay the postage to mail them back to the sender.
#3 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Yuck, I had never heard of those.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh...yuck. :
#5 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 PM

Yuck! Completely inappropriate and unprofessional.
#6 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 PM

So this was from a used bookseller on Amazon?
I wasn't aware that Amazon is responsible for the used books, i thought it was just a service they provide but that the books come directly from the actual seller...if that's the case then I'm not sure that Amazon is really to blame or can really do anything.

But you better believe I'd be leaving some scathing feedback. That's HIGHLY inappropriate and just a really crappy thing to do.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#7 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 PM

I'd leave bad feedback for sure.
#8 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 AM

Not the first time I've seen those, unfortunately. Those drive me so insane, because to some people thats how it must seem that all Christians are. Those things may be a persons only exposure to anything from the Bible, and its being used hugely out of context to push that kind of venom. YUCK. :
#9 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 AM

The only thing those horrible publications do is turn people off to Christianity completely. I've been a Christian my whole life, and Christianity is a religion that actively seeks converts. What a way to win 'em over. :

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#10 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansMomma View Post
So this was from a used bookseller on Amazon?
I wasn't aware that Amazon is responsible for the used books, i thought it was just a service they provide but that the books come directly from the actual seller...if that's the case then I'm not sure that Amazon is really to blame or can really do anything.

But you better believe I'd be leaving some scathing feedback. That's HIGHLY inappropriate and just a really crappy thing to do.
Amazon offers the used books, which are owned and shipped by various independent sellers. But if they *don't* have a policy that people who sell through Amazon can't send out offensive religious materials - they should! And it's not like they don't make money from the sale of used books through their site, so I consider Amazon at least partly responsible.

Yeah, I'm still upset. :

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#11 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 AM

I'm a Christian and I would be upset, too.
#12 of 15 Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Wow! I've never heard of them. That really is unprofessional, but when you buy a used book...Amazon isn't really the source. You can leave feedback under the seller as to the effect that these tracts arrived with your book. But IMO, I don't think a raging comment is appropriate either. No wonder people outside of the Christian faith think we are all unforgiving and in people's face about things..... How sad.
#13 of 15 Old 11-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Uggh!

Dh and I can't help but ROFL over the anti-catholic ones though, they're so absurd! Eucharist= DEATH COOKIE
#14 of 15 Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Um...I wonder if the seller knew that Jaroslav Pelikan eventually became an Orthodox Christian, and that Orthodoxy is very, very close in its beliefs to Catholicism? Then again, maybe that's why they were selling the books and enclosing Chick tracts...just kidding...I hope. Which tracts were they?

I don't know if Amazon is responsible for the seller's behavior, since it was an individual seller selling used items. Leaving feedback indicating your thoughts on the matter and also contacting Amazon and letting them know what happened seems like a reasonable response. I don't know what you could do beyond that except say a little prayer for the seller?
#15 of 15 Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM

You should certainly let Amazon know---even though they aren't directly responsible, they have entered a business relationship with the seller. DH and I used to sell third-party on Amazon, and Amazon can end that relationship at any time, for any reason. A strongly-worded complaint might give them that reason and prevent that seller from sending those to other folks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page