Grassley 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone following this as intently as I am? I am so happy these people are being exposed. This is just my opinion and am curious what others think.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3456977.shtml
#2 of 4 Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Yay for my senator! Hope they all go to jail for a loonnnggg time..Bunch of crooks.
#3 of 4 Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 PM

I worry about the implications of government getting involved, but...

If anyone deserves investigation, these folks do. We are in the Evangelical "circles" and it infuriates me, the way some of these ministries take advantage of people. The general teaching is "Jesus was filthy rich, and you should be too. If you "sow your seed" into my ministry you will "reap" millions in wealth--the more you give, the more you get". Supposedly all good Christians will live in wealth and prosperity, if they have enough wealth and give enough to these teachers.:
#4 of 4 Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Actually I don't believe that anyone is or can go to jail as a result of this investigation. The investigation will reveal if there needs to be more specific rules/laws (right now they are really vague and broad) enacted or if there needs to be further criminal charges brought and investigated. even if they do recommend a criminal investigation do to the vague nature of the laws regarding how much money you can pay a ministry person and what constitutes ministry I doubt they could bring forth any charges (regarding salary or misuse of funds, excluding outright embezzling) that would result in jail time.

Personally I think their income and paychecks are between them, their supporters and God. regardless of how disgusting it is to me, the people writing them checks are obviously ok with their incomes. they certainly don't make their lavish lifestyles a secret.

However their 501c3 status is another story. however . . .this is not nearly as important to the religiously fervent as one might think. after all if we keep quite just to preserve that we are essentially being bought off by the government . . . . I know one church I went to voted to voluntarily give that up if we needed to. and it only took a few seconds to decide that. it was a total non-issue. had it come to that it may have even inspired people to give more. So I doubt even losing that will effect the amounts that people give to these ministries. I mean this lavishness is typically what they are after and is no disgrace to them.

So far it looks like everyone being investigated is fully cooperating even if they are protesting the precedent this is setting. People with television ministries have a lot of give when it comes to defining reasonable expenses. I mean they have to look good for the camera right : but still . . . you can justify designer clothes and large closets and private jets and stuff pretty easily when you are a major production company and doing global missions. and if no one who gives is complaining . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page