Is this religiously offensive? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2 View Post
Hm - I certainly agree with your sentiments, but given the context I don't think I'd post it. It's a sociology class, right? There's no reason you should have to self-identify as non-Christian, or take on other people's interpretations of their religion. This isn't about 'what would Jesus do', it's about what kind of a learning environment they're creating.

I would probably prefer something along the lines of (loosely): "I feel that this discussion has been getting off track, in ways that are potentially hurtful to other members of this campus community, whether for reasons of race, religion, or sexual orientation. While I appreciate that some class members have strongly held religious views on the various topics we have been discussing, it is important that this discussion be welcoming to all students at this public institution. This college has a policy that states "[insert something from the discrimination policy, or something about being welcoming, etc]." Please keep that in mind."
This is exactly what I would do - unless I was feeling particularly fiesty, and then I would call out specific members on their homophobia/racism/sexism. You might look into what qualifies as hate speech according to your university rules, and point out when people are in violation of those rules.

I would say, as a non-Christian, I can't get comfortable calling someone out for not being "Christian enough" in their beliefs and behaviors. I think, for a non-Christian, I'm fairly well studied in what Jesus is proported to have taught, and I think I'm able to view it fairly objectively from the outside - however, there is very little that is objective about people's religious beliefs. Religion is primal. I think "proseltyzing and promoting racism is against university policy and should stop immediately" will get further than "you Christian's sure aren't acting very Christian", you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I would say, as a non-Christian, I can't get comfortable calling someone out for not being "Christian enough" in their beliefs and behaviors. I think, for a non-Christian, I'm fairly well studied in what Jesus is proported to have taught, and I think I'm able to view it fairly objectively from the outside - however, there is very little that is objective about people's religious beliefs. Religion is primal. I think "proseltyzing and promoting racism is against university policy and should stop immediately" will get further than "you Christian's sure aren't acting very Christian", you know?

ITA with this.

Good luck! I do online courses for some of my classes and it can be frustrating!
#33 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! It's posted in a "free talk" area of the class, not in our weekly discussion board. Which also means it will be largely ignored, but so it goes! And I really like mamastar's suggestion, the thing is that has already been posted, and it didn't get through to anyone.
I guess the thing that really got to me was in our discussion on sexuality. Of course, people had to start saying that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed according to the bible, even though the discussion was on the way our sexuality is formed by socialization, not by nature. Anywho, these people were quoting the old testament about sodomy being a sin, therefore gay people should be denied the human rights afforded other groups. And to me, that just reeks of baloney. It seems to be taking one line of old testament scripture and running with it, even though it goes against what Jesus later preached. And it is my understanding that Jesus clarified the old testament, so why doesn't his clarification apply to that exact line?
Also, FWIW, just because I'm not Christian doesn't mean I wasn't at one time or that I haven't studied Christianity. I just wanted to come into the discussion honestly as a non-Christian.
#34 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM

You should have seen me as the lone Catholic in my online Human Sexuality class. >< The book constantly and overtly mocked the Church (and also referred to La Leche League as a "militant" group!!) It was awful! The discussions weren't *too* bad but it got a bit nasty when we discussed circumcision. Only me and one other person (who had a son who's circ was botched) were against it.

Anyway, there are so many flavors of Christianity it's hard to pin people down and say what is or isn't Christian, you know? Especially if you're talking to people who are strictly sola scriptura and believe strongly in personal intrepretation. (I don't necessarily disagree with your post, I'm just saying the people in your class aren't going to see it your way!)
#35 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I think that's a great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
I agree with mammastar2
Yeah, I think that is a good idea too, better than the letter even.
#36 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeirishlass View Post
Thanks all! It's posted in a "free talk" area of the class, not in our weekly discussion board. Which also means it will be largely ignored, but so it goes! And I really like mamastar's suggestion, the thing is that has already been posted, and it didn't get through to anyone.
I guess the thing that really got to me was in our discussion on sexuality. Of course, people had to start saying that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed according to the bible, even though the discussion was on the way our sexuality is formed by socialization, not by nature. Anywho, these people were quoting the old testament about sodomy being a sin, therefore gay people should be denied the human rights afforded other groups. And to me, that just reeks of baloney. It seems to be taking one line of old testament scripture and running with it, even though it goes against what Jesus later preached. And it is my understanding that Jesus clarified the old testament, so why doesn't his clarification apply to that exact line?
Also, FWIW, just because I'm not Christian doesn't mean I wasn't at one time or that I haven't studied Christianity. I just wanted to come into the discussion honestly as a non-Christian.
Wow. I would have to say something. How are they getting away with even bringing this up in a sociology class without being called on it?
#37 of 41 Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Very well said. I don't think you have to apologize for anything, though. I'm very glad you do know "good example" Christians. Those people who spread hate and judge others aren't true Christians.
#38 of 41 Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
I'm in agreement here. You really have no business saying "that behavior goes so far against what Jesus taught" and then later go on to say all of the things you "assume" or "think" He taught. Incidentally I subscribe in general to the "Jesus is a liberal" philosophy, but not all Christians do. You really can't argue against their view of Christianity if you're not well informed about the religion yourself. I think you'd be better off asking questions or starting with "I'm confused. I'm not Christian, but I have in previous conversations with Christians come to believe..." You really don't seem to know enough about Protestants to share your views of what our religion teaches (which is of course highly controversial even within denominational ranks).
I agree with this, also to add, that Jesus taught alot of sin, death, and hell and judging the ways of the wicked. There is a whole spectrum of Christianity and views that Jesus did indeed judge sin, and his followers can too, when "sin" of course is discribed clearly...as in murder, stealing, deceit, hyprocrisy, etc. Jesus was not a spokesmen only of goodness and love.
#39 of 41 Old 11-28-2007, 12:07 AM

By the way weeirishlass, I hope you have a good response. Your letter wasn't offensive at all imo.
#40 of 41 Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
You should have seen me as the lone Catholic in my online Human Sexuality class. >< The book constantly and overtly mocked the Church (and also referred to La Leche League as a "militant" group!!) It was awful! The discussions weren't *too* bad but it got a bit nasty when we discussed circumcision. Only me and one other person (who had a son who's circ was botched) were against it.
What was the book?

And to the OP, I think I might be tempted to put "What does prosylatizing have to do with this sociology class?" in my sig. :
#41 of 41 Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
What was the book?

It was just "Human Sexuality" 6th edition I think. I can't remember the authors. They tried too hard to be "hip" I think and just came off as really immature and petty. They totally trashed NFP (and used it interchangeably with the rhythm method) and basically said that anyone who doesn't want to have sex frequently has something wrong with them. So they had plenty of cracks at the Church, too. And tons of stupid sex limericks. It was bizarre.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page