Original Sin - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 67 Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
 
mamabadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
Can someone point me in the direction of resources to read the Orthodox Church's point of view?
Nice article, ChasingPeace.

There is also this...
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/frjr_sin.aspx

and this...
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/KalomirosRiverFire.php


If you are interested enough to read an entire book, there is an excellent collection of homilies on the subject by St. Symeon. It was originally published under the title The Sin of Adam, but is now available as The First-Created Man.
mamabadger is offline  
#62 of 67 Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
 
anotherKatrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nora--not a llama View Post
My feeling is if a person has come to that point where they understand God's gift and they choose to reject it, THEN there is a problem.

This may be derailing the thread...or not...and I am absolutely not trying to put down your POV, but I don't think it is possible for humans to fully understand God's gift. God is completely beyond our understanding. Rejecting any of God's gifts is an indication of not understanding.

Which perhaps brings me to the way I understand Original Sin. The big sin of Adam and Eve was that they forgot who they were. They forgot they were holy creatures; they forgot that the serpent offered them nothing that they didn't already have. They didn't understand. We don't understand and we forget. Forgetting who we are causes us to sin. If we always had full awareness of who we are...holy creatures...we would never sin. Like Jesus.
anotherKatrina is offline  
#63 of 67 Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherKatrina View Post
...I don't think it is possible for humans to fully understand God's gift. God is completely beyond our understanding. Rejecting any of God's gifts is an indication of not understanding.

Which perhaps brings me to the way I understand Original Sin. The big sin of Adam and Eve was that they forgot who they were. They forgot they were holy creatures; they forgot that the serpent offered them nothing that they didn't already have. They didn't understand. We don't understand and we forget. Forgetting who we are causes us to sin. If we always had full awareness of who we are...holy creatures...we would never sin. Like Jesus.
Wow. Well said!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#64 of 67 Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 PM
 
nora--not a llama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: (.)(.)UNpop Cleavage(.)(.)
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherKatrina View Post
This may be derailing the thread...or not...and I am absolutely not trying to put down your POV, but I don't think it is possible for humans to fully understand God's gift. God is completely beyond our understanding. Rejecting any of God's gifts is an indication of not understanding.

Which perhaps brings me to the way I understand Original Sin. The big sin of Adam and Eve was that they forgot who they were. They forgot they were holy creatures; they forgot that the serpent offered them nothing that they didn't already have. They didn't understand. We don't understand and we forget. Forgetting who we are causes us to sin. If we always had full awareness of who we are...holy creatures...we would never sin. Like Jesus.
You are completely misinterpreting what I said and what I mean. I do not presume to say that anyone can understand God. What I mean is that when we understand/recognize that Jesus died for us and that salvation is a free gift of grace....not that anyone can completely understand grace, but that we can understand that God gives it to us freely.
nora--not a llama is offline  
#65 of 67 Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
 
anotherKatrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nora--not a llama View Post
You are completely misinterpreting what I said and what I mean. I do not presume to say that anyone can understand God. What I mean is that when we understand/recognize that Jesus died for us and that salvation is a free gift of grace....not that anyone can completely understand grace, but that we can understand that God gives it to us freely.

I didn't misinterpret. I get what you're saying. I still think this is really hard to understand or recognize. I don't understand it. I only hope I recognize it when I'm in the midst of it. I've just chosen to stick with the belief because I cannot bring myself to reject it. To me, 'understanding of' is less important than 'wrestling with'.
anotherKatrina is offline  
#66 of 67 Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
AngelBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Brighton, MN
Posts: 20,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nora....I am leaning with you on this one.

So much to read! :

Loving this thread! Thank you all for discussing

Keep going.... :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

AngelBee is offline  
#67 of 67 Old 12-20-2007, 02:46 PM
 
CherryBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPeace View Post
I agree. I think the "satisfaction of a debt" view of the Atonement is pretty two-dimensional and misses the richness of meaning present in the Orthodox Church's view. But there is value in the "satisfaction of a debt" view (for me, at least). It's turning the story of Abraham and Isaac (as well as the Jewish practice at the time of offering sacrifice to God) on its head. When I view it mythically, it's a very beautiful description of God's amazing love for us.

I think it can be, but doesn't have to be. Satisfaction of debt is the technical part. But the deeper implication is very rich, imo.

God's perfect justness required satisfaction of the debt, yes. And HE offered that satisfaction for us! He humbled himself to be born amongst us and killed by us to pay it. That's pretty amazing and humbling to me.

Quote:
Why would God demand a bigger sacrifice than anyone was capable of paying? Why is a divine sacrifice asked for from humans, and then even that would not be enough,were they capable of making it? Why not demand the largest sacrifice they could actually make on their own?
But someone WAS capable of paying it- God. And he did pay it, because of his love and mercy.
CherryBomb is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off