Little girls and modesty - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when studying with Chabad, I learned that there is no halacha what so ever about skirts being modest or the only modest option for womyn.

I have also spoken with several tour guides in Israel (religious) who were told by their rav that a skirt is NOT APPROPRIATE for leading tours as it is definatly not tzinut. Loose fitting pants are more tzinut and the preferred option in this case.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Well, there are definitely different opinions. Being Chabad myself, I would be very surprised if there are very many Chabad rabbonim who hold that pants are okay for women. Clearly, there is some halacha about it, since I have been able to bring sources. These may not be definitive/authoritative for some people, but they certainly exist.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=BinahYeteirah;10007337]Yes, it is a halachic issue. Nearly all types of pants, excepting perhaps very wide trousers that look like a skirt, show were the upper legs divide, which is considered very immodest for a woman (Rashi, Pesochim 3a s.v. b'Zov Responsa Shevet Halevi 6:118:2).

I'm going way, way, way out on a limb, because I dress modestly according to my own beliefs, and cover according to my own beliefs. But my question is this: wouldn't salwar (sp) kameez fulfill the requirements according to this? A very long tunic that is almost to the knees over very flowy pants that taper to the ankles?

OT--I went to a Christmas party and I had made a long high-necked velvet dress to wear, sleeves down to my wrists, and I was the most covered woman there and I was so comfortable. I felt beautiful and it was really drapy and comfortable. Just wanted to share.

I also started making these swimsuits for my daughters for coverage and because they are cute (saw the link here):

www.modest-swimwear.net

But our guidelines are that a tank suit with full coverage is "modest". So I have to teach my daughters that just because they're wearing the equivalent of a mid-thigh stretchy dress and bike shorts for swimming doesn't mean anyone else is necessarily "immodest." A bit tricky.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:04 AM

And about my daughters: we are fine with pants and shorts, but give guidelines for shorts, encourage capris and light long pants, and teach our daughters how to wear skirts, and require shorts/capris or tights under skirts for school for "coverage." We want kneelength skirts or longer by about 5, and short sleeves or longer by same age. We try t teach by example.

User Tag List