Tithing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I am not offending anyone by asking this question but it is starting to really bother me.

I see mention on here of people who are going in to debt, really struggling to make ends meet, taking advantage of programs to help feed, clothe, house, care for the family - and yet they still tithe 10% to their church.

I guess I don't understand and I hope that someone can help me. What churches have this requirement that you pay 10% off the top to them? Do they really make no provision for families that truly cannot afford it? Is there no support system available within the church for families to tithe in ways other than strictly financial donations to help families that are struggling so much?

Part of me gets a little bit upset when I see this, because I do know of some people who faithfully tithe 10% while receiving food stamps, gov't healthcare, and other gov't subsidies - which basically means that the government is paying to support a religious group in part, since the family would probably not be receiving as much in aid if they did not give their money first to the church. Am I truly interpreting this correctly?

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#2 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM

I agree with you. I cannot believe these churches would happily be acceptign 10% of someone's income when there are children in these families going without some pretty basic stuff
#3 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Catholic churches and I believe Mormon churches tithe. I am not sure exactly how it works because my mom was Catholic and she told me a little about it but not that much.

I don't think the level of government aid depends on tithing at all. Aid is based on total income and tithing comes out of your budget like food would. ETA: The Catholic and Mormon churches I know are great resources to those in need, not the other way around.
#4 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM

We tithe 10% to our church, based on our gross income. (If I get a tax refund, I don't retithe on the refund.) We aren't receiving any government assistance.

My church (LDS) has its own welfare system in place to take care of struggling members. This is paid for out of a different fund, not tithing funds. It helps members with anything from food, clothing, personal care supplies, to help with utilities & rent. We donate monthly to this fund as well as well as volunteer in the church canneries & food storehouses, donate time & money to humanitarian aid programs through our church (making baby blankets, washclothes, cloth diapers, etc for the poor, usually in 3rd world countries).

Even when we were at our poorest we tithed 10% of our income every month. I feel we are blessed because of it, and wouldn't trade those blessings-whether you call it blessings or karma or whatever I do believe it comes back to you greater than you put out.
#5 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:28 PM

I don't tithe, because all our income right now comes from federal assistance {FS, SSI, etc} and I don't think it would be right to tithe from that.

Plus I'd rather feed and clothe my own family instead of letting mine go without to help feed and clothe another family.
#6 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't get it either, my moms a fundie christian and her dh just retired, there having trouble paying bills but yet they still tithe 10% to the church, thats over $200 a month! I could see 1% but 10%?

Seriously?
#7 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM

Our church believes in tithing what you can. Some give alot and others give what ever they can.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#8 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 05:40 PM

Those who tithe are generally coming from a place of faith, in the book of Malachi (exact verse and wording not handy) it states bring the whole tithe to God and you will get a increase. I have tithed and I do beleive I have been blessed when I was faithful in tithing. I have even given a tithe when I did not have a church home so its not so much about a specific church demanding a tithe or else.. not to say there are not such churches, to me its personal and its about my faith in God and his ability to provide..

I understand you are trying to not be offensive but there is a little part of me that read your initial post and was offended.

Frankly the people who mention tithing as not optional here IMO are not any different than those who swear by 100% organic food no matter what. Its just a matter of personal belief.

That said as a Christian I would run like hell from any church that demanded I give money after all the bible also states God likes a cheerful giver.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#9 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm Catholic, and while we do get little cards with suggested percentages on them at annual giving time, I don't take it as a requirement but rather a suggestion. I give what I feel comfortable with, based on how we're doing at the time. If I ever felt a push or obligation to give a set amount, I'd be out of there so fast! I don't think that's right morally, nor biblically correct.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#10 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM

We tithe 10% of our income to our church. It is not a requirement by the church at all. They don't expect us to or ask us to. We do it from a Biblical stand point. This is the basis for our tithing. Now, you also have to understand that that is where we give our only charitable contributions. Some people give to other places (charities, organizations, etc.), we do not. We are under no obligation to tithe, we just feel that it is what we were called to do. From our standpoint, everything that we have is a gift from God and thus we are truly just giving back what he has blessed us with. I don't think that a person who receives assistance should have to give a tithe. I don't think a church should tell people how much to give or to give at all. I think it should be a personal decision for each person.

This is what I found about tithing. It really sums up how I feel about it:
Tithing is an issue that many Christians struggle with. In many churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the Biblical exhortation in regards to making offerings to the Lord. Tithing / giving is intended to be a joy, a blessing. Sadly, that is rarely the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#11 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Well, I have to agree it's about being a cheerful giver and what your own belief system dictates for you. Tithing will not have an impact on your income, therefore it does not effect the level of government help. I must say it never ceases to amaze me that one's personal beliefs are fine, unless they are supporting more "mainstream" causes. To me, someone tithing out of income coming from the government should really be no different for you than someone buying all processed food and formula with food stamps. I've been at the store and seen someone buy a 20$ cake from Wal-Mart with food stamps. Do I agree, not really, but it's their choice. To me the same applies for someone who is on SSI and wants to give to a church or other charity. As a society we have collectively decided to apply taxes and benefits, and to some degree leave it up to the beneficiaries of the benefits to determine how they spend the money. Someone can cash their SSI check, and within a very short amount of time spend it all on tobacco and alcohol, or crack or weed or whatever they want. That same person can then go to a food bank and apply for food for the rest of the month. The majority of food given away comes from religious charities that depend on donations. I guess my point is, unless society is going to decide to give people the goods someone feels they need or deserve rather than allow for free choice, the ablilty to give as someone feels fit should be protected as well.
Pamela
#12 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 PM

We don't have much money but we always try to tithe. Sometimes its $25 a week, sometimes its .25 a week. I do so even when we are struggling because I have faith that our creator will provide for me and my family.

Being a part of a church isn't just a Sunday thing, its a community. We are called to share and live together in communion with God. In Acts, the first Christians sold everything they had and lived together, sharing belongings and giving to anyone that had need. This is a Tithe. To selflessly give knowing you may be just as "needy" as the person receiving is pure love and faith.
Mark 12:41-44 talks of how rich people were tithing large sum of money but then a poor widow comes up and gives 2 small copper coins, which amount to a cent. Then Jesus says "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of surplus, but she out of poverty..." and this was very pleasing to God. Im very confident that she was taken care of, for she was blessed.

The 10% starts in Genesis where Abram gave a tenth of all his possessions. Then Jacob makes a vow later on in genesis 28, "20 if God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear, 21 and I return to my fathers house in safety, then the Lord will be my God. 22 This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be Gods house, and of all that you give me I will surely give a tenth to you."
I have never assumed I should tithe 10% but some people look at scripture like this one and wish to follow it. Thats fine for them and thats their choice. I would never approach tithing in a negative way, 0% or 50%. Tithing is between God and that family. Its a sacrifice for some and that is sacred.

ok, im going to stop because I could go on.
#13 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM

We aren't up to our goal of 10% tithing yet, but we do tithe as much as we can.

Yes, that means sometimes we do without things that others might choose to have.

But I believe very strongly that everything I have is a gift and not mine. Whether I earn the money, etc. - it's all been given to me and it's my *responsibility* to share it. Some I do share with my children and immediate family and some is spread throughout my community and around the world.

Very recently we've decided as a family not to tithe to a church organization. I was, quite frankly, tired of seeing a building funded and not seeing people being helped.

My husband and I decided to look to the bible for inspiration and decided to look to the "least of us" for tithing opportunities. For us that means the women and children who need help in our community as well as any adults who cannot help themselves.
#14 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Our church says 'give what you can'.

I think that 10% was useful when churches did most of the social work - taking care of the sick, elderly, and poor. When 7.5% of our income already goes to social security, plus medicare and medicaid... it's hard to choose to give another 10% to the church.

We give 1% right now. I'd like to increase that to 3% in the near future.

I'm not sure whether I'd rather have churches in charge of all social work or the government... both have a history of sometimes doing it well, sometimes not doing it well.

Aven
#15 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM

I am Protestant and our church has never actually asked for 10%. That is the Bible guideline, but my church has always stressed that tithing is not always in the form of money. When I was a college student I helped teach the Wednesday night Children's Group. Giving of time is still considered giving in my church, but it might depend on other religions though, I am not sure. My church does not have a clue how much income we make to know whether or not I was giving 10%.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#16 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my DH was a poor college student living on student loan, he always volunteered in his church instead of donating money. He thought student loan is borrowed money and not really "income". Give what you can sounds pretty good to me.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#17 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
We aren't up to our goal of 10% tithing yet, but we do tithe as much as we can.

Yes, that means sometimes we do without things that others might choose to have.

But I believe very strongly that everything I have is a gift and not mine. Whether I earn the money, etc. - it's all been given to me and it's my *responsibility* to share it. Some I do share with my children and immediate family and some is spread throughout my community and around the world.

Very recently we've decided as a family not to tithe to a church organization. I was, quite frankly, tired of seeing a building funded and not seeing people being helped.

My husband and I decided to look to the bible for inspiration and decided to look to the "least of us" for tithing opportunities. For us that means the women and children who need help in our community as well as any adults who cannot help themselves.

i am so touched by your post. I am so impressed at how you and your family have thought it out an made the commitment.

Imagine, for a moment, if all people did this.(in some form)

I read no pity for those less fortunate in your post. (now I am crying) Poverty is a social disease, not a personal shortcoming. From your post I feel you understand that.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#18 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM

I actually had this conversation with my brother - who's a preacher - this morning. We are flat broke and don't tithe. It's something that's been waying on my heart quite a bit lately, but my husband and I disagree about tithing. He doesn't think we should, but I do.

As a miniters, my brother said that he feels Christians should tithe 10%, but if they can't, then just tithe what they can. He said it's all about faith and thanking God for all the gifts in our life.

We go to a very small church where the the preacher doesn't even draw a salary. All tithes go towards rent (in a small building), electricity, and to helping the community. Our church partners with a local shelter and most of our tithes go towards helping people get back on their feet.

I can understand where people would question someone who continues to tithe when they are broke- especially as we are broke and we don't tithe. But, honestly, I find it so admirable that these people are so faithful and such followers of God - and continue to tithe. I wish I could be more like that.

Leslie
#19 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
<snip>
I too believe that everything I am given is a gift. I would rather get to Heaven and have God say, "Job well done," to me, rather than, "You could've done without that new television and fed a family for a month." It goes into my budget just like my car payment does.

That said, I got hit hard with a bunch of unexpected bills this year, and loaned money to a friend over a year ago that has yet to be paid back, and had to drop my giving down to 5%. Half of it goes to church, and the other half to various charities. (One charity/non-profit per month, though next year, I may go up to one every two weeks, because I keep finding out about good ones that aren't as well known as some others.) But NOT giving is just not an option to me; there will ALWAYS be someone worse off than I am.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#20 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 PM

I say this as a Christian.....I believe in doing what you can, be it $5 or $500. I do not believe in the set 10 percent....

Here's my issue, which I just blogged about so I feel weird rewriting it, many of the churches in my community have gone the route of the mega-church. The church we finally left (the people who married us, dedicated our daughter, baptized me) constantly talked about $$ and their new building...their second one. How big? Well, over $22 million for phase one alone.

So, no, I'm not going to give them 10 percent while I struggle daily to survive. I do not feel it is right to fund a fancy gym and the pastor's $$$$ house because they expect it.

When I find a church that has not bowed down to the Almighty Dollar, then I'll feel free to give what I can then.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#21 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 PM

After reading the post on donating to those in more need, I looked up what was available in my county.

I plan on sending $ to a different charity each month. First one? One that offers crisis counseling to children who are victims of physical and sexual abuse. Than you so much for your idea!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#22 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
After reading the post on donating to those in more need, I looked up what was available in my county.

I plan on sending $ to a different charity each month. First one? One that offers crisis counseling to children who are victims of physical and sexual abuse. Than you so much for your idea!
That is a wonderful idea

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#23 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediesmom View Post

i am so touched by your post. I am so impressed at how you and your family have thought it out an made the commitment.

Imagine, for a moment, if all people did this.(in some form)

I read no pity for those less fortunate in your post. (now I am crying) Poverty is a social disease, not a personal shortcoming. From your post I feel you understand that.

Oh, there is NO pity! I was one of them - they are us. Just nine years ago I was a single mother going to college using housing subsidies to house my son and food stamps to feed him.

I vowed then that as soon as I could help I would.

The "least of us" wording comes from Matthew 25:41-45:

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me,
sick and in prison
and you did not visit me.'
Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?'
Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you,
as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' "

My family is not wealthy. I honestly don't think we're even middle class. My DH is really our sole support right now and earns less than $50,000/year (even though he is working in his field and has a PhD). We're soon to be a family of five.

We live a very frugal and modest lifestyle (which is why, btw, I love this forum so much!).

But there is so much that we can do to help others! Sometimes it's monetary, sometimes it's gifts in kind, sometimes it's our efforts/talents/help.

Those of you who grow gardens can share the produce with others. I sew and share those gifts. We freecycle and donate our gently used items throughout our community.

Even if you don't have the cash, you can tithe.
#24 of 80 Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
I hope I am not offending anyone by asking this question but it is starting to really bother me.

I see mention on here of people who are going in to debt, really struggling to make ends meet, taking advantage of programs to help feed, clothe, house, care for the family - and yet they still tithe 10% to their church.

I guess I don't understand and I hope that someone can help me. What churches have this requirement that you pay 10% off the top to them? Do they really make no provision for families that truly cannot afford it? Is there no support system available within the church for families to tithe in ways other than strictly financial donations to help families that are struggling so much?

Part of me gets a little bit upset when I see this, because I do know of some people who faithfully tithe 10% while receiving food stamps, gov't healthcare, and other gov't subsidies - which basically means that the government is paying to support a religious group in part, since the family would probably not be receiving as much in aid if they did not give their money first to the church. Am I truly interpreting this correctly?
You are misinformed. Very FEW churches actually REQUIRE tithing... As far as i know, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists are required to tithe? I think??? I'm not sure what the churches do about low income families - Mormon churches, from what i know from my mormon SIL, do not pay their pastors - so that means they have a LOT of money somewhere since everyone is paying 10% and it's a huge church.

I'm sure they help their needy members.

I'm part of a non-denominational church. I'm sure a lot of members tithe, but we don't even pass the basket around - or really talk about it "too" much. We just have a giving box and envelopes so people can give.

Our church helps out a lot of non-members, and non-christians as well...as i'm sure lots of churches do...just wanted to add that.

I haven't tithed for a while - we could probably swing it financially, even though we are just living off unemployment - but we are saving every penny towards when UI runs out. But i feel okay about it. I do give money to people sometimes when i have it, and i donate and give away a lot of items to people or charities as well.

And - when i do tithe, it's not usually to my church. I'd honestly rather my money go directly to needy people rather than the "expansion" fund or whatnot. My church does let you choose where you want your money to go (I mark the "giving" fund - which *does* go to poor families) but typically i find my own charities.

ANyway, that's a little long winded, but hope that helps!
#25 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Very FEW churches actually REQUIRE tithing... As far as i know, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists are required to tithe? I think???
LDS (Mormon) members are required to pay a 10% tithe in order to go to their temples, and they cannot be resurrected (saved) unless they go to their temples. So, yes it a definite requirement. They have to pay in order to be of good faith. LDS clergymen are not paid, and the church is very, very wealthy. They were in jeopardy of losing their non-profit status a few years ago, actually. That being said, they definitely take care of their members in need, and even non-members sometimes.

I know that my LDS family and friends consider tithing as a blessing, and they always make room for it in their budget. They swear they feel worse off when they don't pay their tithing, though sometimes it seems they can't afford it.

I agree with a PP that it is very similar to the commitment some have to buying organic. They feel the benefits outweigh the costs, by far. And who is to argue, really? Spiritual benefits cannot be measured in dollars.
#26 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
You are misinformed. Very FEW churches actually REQUIRE tithing... As far as i know, Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists are required to tithe? I think??? I'm not sure what the churches do about low income families - Mormon churches, from what i know from my mormon SIL, do not pay their pastors - so that means they have a LOT of money somewhere since everyone is paying 10% and it's a huge church.

I'm sure they help their needy members.
I'm LDS/Mormon. Tithing is not "required," it is an offering that is freely given. Yes, 10% is considered a full tithe, however how much a person gives is entirely up to them. I do know that not everyone chooses to tithe, and not everyone pays a "full tithe." As with all commandments we are free to make the choice for ourselves. Our clergy is not paid, with the exception of very few people who dedicate the remainder of their lives to church service, such as the President of the church & the Apostles. Their living is "room & board" basically a small apartment & living expenses.

Yes, we have 12 million members (still relatively small compared to other major world religions) however, since the LDS church is a global church and most of the members are outside the United States, many in 3rd world South American countries please keep that in perspective when visualizing money available.

The LDS church financial records are audited yearly by an independent auditing firm, and the report is published annually. In addition to the construction, furnishing, and operating expenses of church buildings, temples, tabernacles, & conference centers nationwide, tithing funds are also used for things like:

Maintaining the largest family history research program in the world
Supporting 3 large Universities
seminary & institute buildings (religious education for HS students, the teachers are primarily unpaid volunteers teaching classes at 5 or 6 am which students voluntarily attend.)
Room & board allowances for senior adults supervising the proselyting & humanitarian missionary programs
Construction & maintenance of church visitors centers and museums at important church history sites

Additionally voluntary fast offerings are used for humanitarian & local member welfare needs. The church also has a perpetual education fund to help people who would otherwise be unable to afford it better their lives through higher education.
#27 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jesus View Post
LDS (Mormon) members are required to pay a 10% tithe in order to go to their temples, and they cannot be resurrected (saved) unless they go to their temples. So, yes it a definite requirement. They have to pay in order to be of good faith. LDS clergymen are not paid, and the church is very, very wealthy. They were in jeopardy of losing their non-profit status a few years ago, actually. That being said, they definitely take care of their members in need, and even non-members sometimes.
LDS doctrine states that everyone will be resurrected.

Being able to attend the temple is based on a personal declaration of worthiness, not on a check of financial records. A lot of LDS members in full fellowship never attend the temple.
#28 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 AM

We tithe 10% of our income currently, but int he past it's been less than that at times and more than that at others. Our church (presbyterian) do not require a certain percentage or even any giving at all - it's all up to the individual to decide. That said, we wholeheartedly give to our church whenever we can because the church community uses that money to do so many wonderful things for our greater community - we operate a food pantry, build homes for victims of domestic abuse and participate and fund habitat homes, there are dozens of missionaries around the world that we send money to (we just sent a huge grant to an organization in India who work with temple prostitutes and their children, enabling them to find new work and they subsidize housing and food for the families.) All around us we see evidence of the good works that our church community is doing with "our" money, and we like to give money whenever we can in order to support those efforts. We also are firm believers in tithing our time, also, and we strive to give 10% of our time towards charitable efforts like working on habitat houses, going into impoverished communities to work side by side with residents cleaning up their streets, doign home repairs, planting gardens. We just started a new program called "rocka nd read" that I am so excited about - we go into the head start and pre-k classrooms and snuggle witht he kids, reading books and just trying to let them know that there are adults who care about them. I had a little boy tell me that I was the first person who ever snuggled and read him a book!
#29 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normajean View Post
LDS doctrine states that everyone will be resurrected.

Being able to attend the temple is based on a personal declaration of worthiness, not on a check of financial records. A lot of LDS members in full fellowship never attend the temple.
You're right. I forgot about heaven's hierarchy in the LDS faith. Not resurrected, but in order to go to the highest kingdom in heaven, you have have gone through the temple. Unless my brain is fried and I've jumbled the doctrine in my head in the 10 years since I last attended a church meeting (which is a very distinct possibility ).

When I was a teenager, I was denied a temple recommend to attend the temple based on the fact that I did not pay tithing. That was the only reason.

From what I was taught for the first 16 years of my life, you have to pay 10% (either money or 10% of your crop, yield, etc.) in order to go to the temple, and you have to go to the temple in order to be fully, celestially exalted in god's eyes.

*Sorry if this comes across as being snarky. I don't mean to be offensive, it's just my understanding of how tithing is correlated to church membership, IME.
#30 of 80 Old 12-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Im curious as to why a family would stay with a church community if they don't feel comfortable tithing there.
Im not trying to cause a ripple im just truly curious.
If I felt uncomfortable tithing to my church because of whatever reason, I wouldn't be able to stay with that community.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page