Smokey: yep!

Orthodox Mama
#92 of 100 Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Oh, Bnonn just sent me his responses to your original questions. Shall I PM them to you or add them to the thread (which of course we've already taken wildly off-topic by now...)?
You can pm me--that would be fine. I apologize for derailing!
#93 of 100 Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
LOL, it was more me than you! PMing now...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#94 of 100 Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
Without reading any of the responses.....

The church is a building or a group of like believers. I don't believe that any one Christian church is "the only way"..... It's Jesus Christ is the only way. If you follow Him (and only Him) and all His teachings (not the "church's teaching/ rituals)...that is the only true way.
but everyone seems to be worshiping a different Jesus. how are we to know who the real Jesus is and who is worshiping the impostor? If we could really rely only on ourselves we would all be worshiping the same Christ and the same way (how He wants to be worshiped should not be a matter of our personal comfort level or our preferences.). You can't say the Bible because everyone on there own make the Bible say the same thing. you can't say the Holy Spirit because everyone claims that the Holy Spirits is speaking to them contradictory things. So while i believe the Holy spirit can lead us into all truth I think a lot of people are hearing whatever they want to hear from the scriptures and blaming the Holy Spirit. But someone is obviously listening to the wrong voices. If we were listening to the same Holy Spirit would he not be revealing the same thing to us? Is it not possible, when left to our own devices, that someone must be wrong. and if someone is wrong then someone must be right. Is it inconceivable that God has ordained a right way to worship and a right way to believe? and how will we know which way is right if we depend only on our self and our own desires?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#95 of 100 Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM

and if someone is wrong then someone must be right. Is it inconceivable that God has ordained a right way to worship and a right way to believe?

I very much disagree with the first sentence here.....when it come to the true nature of God, and how God wishes (or if God wishes) to be worshipped, everyone could be wrong. And, no, it isn't inconceivable that God has ordained a right way to worship and believe...but it is inconceivable that he has not? Or that he ordained a different way for different groups?

I guess I don't understand the insistence that everyone worship the same, or else someone is wrong. Maybe God had different intentions for different groups? I am not Muslim, but here is a passage from the Koran that seems to suggest such a possibility:

Unity of All Submitters

[2:62] Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and the converts; anyone who (1) believes in GOD, and (2) believes in the Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will receive their recompense from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.
#96 of 100 Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
but it is not about fearing. None of the Christian chruch claiming to be the one true church think think that people outside the Church are in danger of going to hell. it is about wanting to worship God in fullness. Abount wanting the whole truth.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#97 of 100 Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
but it is not about fearing. None of the Christian chruch claiming to be the one true church think think that people outside the Church are in danger of going to hell. it is about wanting to worship God in fullness. Abount wanting the whole truth.
nak

not true. my mother's church (non-denominational, bible-studying kind....place she found after being raised eo) claims to have *the truth*, and believes that others who claim to be Christian may not be saved (may go to hell)....although they admit that entrance to heaven is ultimately for God to decide.

eta....thinking about it, the extreme position of my mother's church probably explains why I am so offended by the idea of a "one true church". The idea you are explaining, Lilyka, is not offensive to me at all. It would have been much nicer to be raised in a church like that.

But for some evidence of how my mother's church thinks, my mother took a Bible to her dying grandmother's bedside to be sure that she is "saved"....even though my great grandmother was a life-long practicing Russian Orthodox Christian (as are my grandparents and aunts/uncles....and my mother was raised that way as well...so she was familiar with the teachings! But her church had convinced her that those Orthodox family members were still at risk of going to hell
#98 of 100 Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this isn't true. Some churches do believe they are the only right way and anyone not following them will die in the end. This is what JW's believe, though officially they will say it is for god to judge, I can give you dozens of quotes from their literature that implies that only JW's will survive. And not even all JW's, but only the really good ones, the rest of the people in the world will be destroyed very soon at the hands of God himself. So it is about fear for some churches.
#99 of 100 Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
eta....thinking about it, the extreme position of my mother's church probably explains why I am so offended by the idea of a "one true church". The idea you are explaining, Lilyka, is not offensive to me at all. It would have been much nicer to be raised in a church like that.

But for some evidence of how my mother's church thinks, my mother took a Bible to her dying grandmother's bedside to be sure that she is "saved"....even though my great grandmother was a life-long practicing Russian Orthodox Christian (as are my grandparents and aunts/uncles....and my mother was raised that way as well...so she was familiar with the teachings! But her church had convinced her that those Orthodox family members were still at risk of going to hell

My mom's this way, too. :

So if we all treated one another with lovingkindness, compassion and dignity--everyone--not just those within our True Church, (BTW...I do personally know some Christians who behave like this. ) then we'd have no reason to resent the notion of One True Church. In fact, we'd all probably want to join the One True Church. (I won't say which one I'm hoping would win. But I would concede to the Orthodox. )

Chalk this one up to the human condition.
#100 of 100 Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, lilyka, that this is true for the Catholic and Orthodox churches. And the Roman Catholic Church is the church usually being referred to (in the US at least) as calling itself the One True Church.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page