So you think you understand being Jewish in America? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-06-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should say ... Jewish History in America.

Well, there is more than you know. I promise.

This is a multiple chapter series. It was wonderful. I am not Jewish and I have to say I know a lot but I learned more and it was beautifully done. Even if you are Jewish and think you know it all, this still will have information you probably didn't know. So, interesting.

If you don't think you can listen to it all, please at the very least listen to the interview with Ambassador Loeb. He is a beautiful speaker and he knows so much history. I loved every podcast but his was so thoughtful. He is a descendent of some of the first families to arrive in america in the late 1600's and is a member of the SonsOfTheAmerican Revolution (Male equivilent to DAR). .

ONLY IN America: celebrating 350 years of Jewish History in America

I listened to the podcasts while I cleaned the house and worked out at the gym.

http://www.onlyinamerica.info/

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very interesting. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't really know much about Jewish history in the US.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#3 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 18 Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM

I don't have time to listen now, but am a Jew in America.
As a child I was called a "dirty Jew" by another child who said her parents said she could not play with me because I was a "dirty Jew". I took baths so I did not understand what she meant, but it made me sad.
My own children are upset because they are the only people in their classes who celebrate Chanukkah rather than Christmas.
It is an interesting minority to be part of because people can't tell I are a Jew just by looking and sometimes will say anti-semetic things to me or in my presence not realizing that I am Jewish. It is better now than when I am younger because the world is more PC, but it is still around.
My uncle is from Poland and escaped from a concentration camp.
I think that many people do not understand our history.
#5 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post
As a child I was called a "dirty Jew" by another child who said her parents said she could not play with me because I was a "dirty Jew". I took baths so I did not understand what she meant, but it made me sad.
My own children are upset because they are the only people in their classes who celebrate Chanukkah rather than Christmas.
It is an interesting minority to be part of because people can't tell I are a Jew just by looking and sometimes will say anti-semetic things to me or in my presence not realizing that I am Jewish. It is better now than when I am younger because the world is more PC, but it is still around.

chris'mom'3, thanks for your post.

You might want to post this in a larger font, because some folks think it really doesn't happen anymore or doesn't exist or ... you get the point.

I *was* a Jew in America, and had the same experiences. Living in the most open and tolerant and liberal and multicultural city in America, and was physically threatened, verbally threatened, as were my children and husband ... who had swastikas drawn on the window of his classroom while he was in the room teaching ... only his classroom, and he was the only teacher out of hundreds in the school with a kipa. And the administration hushed it all up, and as word got around the other Jewish teachers began approaching him with their stories, and then ... and then ... there's so much more of it happening than is heard about. All over America.

Which is why I *was* a Jew in America. Am in America no more.

As to the OP, am hoping to listen to whatever links are available for listening online during the next week or so ...
#6 of 18 Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Can I pitch in about being a Jew in Ukraine? I don't want to take this thread off-topic...

I was the only Jew in my class. One time, a teacher said to me: what are you daydreaming about, Israel?
I was called a "jewish pig", I was told as a child that Jews are responsible for all the wrongs in the world.

For some reason, I don't feel oppressed being a Jew in New York. I don't know if it's because I don't wear Orthodox clothes and not as identifiable as a Jew...I'm not sure why. I actually feel comfortable telling that I'm a Jew here in America then in Ukraine. In Ukraine, I was even afraid to admit I was a Jew!
#7 of 18 Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
Can I pitch in about being a Jew in Ukraine? I don't want to take this thread off-topic...

I was the only Jew in my class. One time, a teacher said to me: what are you daydreaming about, Israel?
I was called a "jewish pig", I was told as a child that Jews are responsible for all the wrongs in the world.

For some reason, I don't feel oppressed being a Jew in New York. I don't know if it's because I don't wear Orthodox clothes and not as identifiable as a Jew...I'm not sure why. I actually feel comfortable telling that I'm a Jew here in America then in Ukraine. In Ukraine, I was even afraid to admit I was a Jew!

I was called something similar in Central Park a few years back (2004 to be precise). My DS#1 at the age of 5? 6? stood in the Tavern on the Green playground while other LITTLE kids stood on the walls and shouted at his little kipa'd head, "I hate Jews!" and "Jews are assholes" and "No Jews allowed in this playground!" DH and DS#2 (at 3yo) were stuck in a subway car with young adults ... late teens, early 20s ... saying "burn 'em!" "Fire up the ovens, Jews here!"

We'll ignore the middle-aged jerk in our building who, as we were leaving for the kids' school bus stop one morning, said in a loud & clear voice that my children heard and understood, "Only thing worse than kids is Yids." That gave us something to talk about while waiting at the bus stop that day, didn't it.

This is ALL in the liberal Upper West Side. And this isn't even close to all of it.

And if you ask other Jews ... who are visibly Jewish and who aren't cloistered in Boro Park all day ... they've got stories to tell, too. Some care ... others others don't. They say, "Well, it's not as bad as it was in Europe so who cares." It wasn't too terrible in Weimar Germany, either.

I don't doubt the nastiness was more vicious in the Ukraine. Absolutely, I was safer in NY than I would have been there. The problem is that there's this illusion that it's okay in the States, that it's all better, it's all gone.

It's not.

Jews have gone very far in America, b'H, and have it very good. But it's not all roses and flag-waving. I posted the FBI hate crime stats in re anti-Jewish hate crimes elsewhere on MDC yesterday. They tell the tale, too.
#8 of 18 Old 01-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I was called something similar in Central Park a few years back (2004 to be precise). My DS#1 at the age of 5? 6? stood in the Tavern on the Green playground while other LITTLE kids stood on the walls and shouted at his little kipa'd head, "I hate Jews!" and "Jews are assholes" and "No Jews allowed in this playground!" DH and DS#2 (at 3yo) were stuck in a subway car with young adults ... late teens, early 20s ... saying "burn 'em!" "Fire up the ovens, Jews here!"

We'll ignore the middle-aged jerk in our building who, as we were leaving for the kids' school bus stop one morning, said in a loud & clear voice that my children heard and understood, "Only thing worse than kids is Yids." That gave us something to talk about while waiting at the bus stop that day, didn't it.
::
#9 of 18 Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I am not a Jew in America, but I am a first-generation Russian-American, and Orthodox, in America.

Quote:
As a child, I was called a "Commie" and a "Red B*tch". By kids and adults. I understood all too well what they meant, and it still made me sad.

Quote:
My children are, as I was, the only ones in their classes who celebrate Christmas in January, and Easter at a different time. More kids than that celebrate Chanukkah and Passover. Heck - the schools are closed for Rosh Hashanna & Yom Kippur. But not for our holidays. At least they're excused absences. And we use the opportunity to educate their friends, which is really kind of cool.

Quote:
It IS interesting to be part of a minority. People can't tell I'm Russian-American or Orthodox, either. And yes, will sometimes say untoward things. Interestingly, I was a non-Jew in Israel for two years. Another experience as a minority. And I can tell you that it wasn't always pleasant. It kind of hurts when people who claimed to be friends stopped inviting us over when they realized we weren't Jewish. Prejudice is everywhere.

Quote:
My parents are European and grew up in DP camps in Germany. I think many people do not understand their/our history.

Being a minority can be an eye-opening experience. But I think it behooves all of us to remember that prejudice and bias cuts in many different directions. And by *every* group.
#10 of 18 Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mtiger,

I highly recommend the podcasts. They are very interesting and I think you will find the podcasts on Hollywood most compelling. Especially when Joseph McCArthy and his (anti-semite) team in Congress went on a witch hunt accusing all Hollywood writers/actors/directors of being communists. He especially went after those who were Jewish. Many of them had their lives destroyed.

I live in an area with a large Russian Orthodox community. A few of them have said anti semitic comments to me. I'm not jewish but I am unclear why they are so strongly bent that way. I don't know if it is based on just their home life or something personal or if there is more. Perhaps you have a window on this?

#11 of 18 Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM

thank you for starting this thread tracy i look forward to listening.
#12 of 18 Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM

nevermind.

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#13 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM

I've been watching it on PBS. Very well done! I'm totally enjoying it.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#14 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I've been watching it on PBS. Very well done! I'm totally enjoying it.

I gotta tell you the podcasts are better than the pbs series. I promise.

#15 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM

This is an interesting thread... we recently had a good documentary by Richard Littlejohn on Channel 4 in the UK called War on Britain's Jews which highlighted the growing anti Jewish sentiment within the UK.

This is just a very short clip from the documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuI2tjJxlv8

Peace
#16 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I gotta tell you the podcasts are better than the pbs series. I promise.
Thanks. I think I'll download them... even though I never know if I'll get the chance to listen. I rarely use my iPod these days... have to be able to hear stroller disputes with my 2 year old and 6 month old.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#17 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 PM

I saw part of the PBS series last night and it was very interesting.
#18 of 18 Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I saw part of the PBS series last night and it was very interesting.
and the podcasts are even better. It was a fuller production. Not the same producer.
but I am glad both are available.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page