Question for Jewish MDCmers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by captain optimism

I know that some people make a distinction between halachot (Jewish legal guidelines) that are d'rabanan (from the rabbis) and d'orisa (from the text). But I think that most observant Jews consider the rabbinic rulings to have the weight of "oral Torah." So Torah observant including oral Torah...
This reminds me of a joke from bangitout

From Top 12 Habits of Highly Modern Orthodox People

#11. You frequently use the phrase, "It's only D'Rabanan anyway". (My DH used to use this phrase a touch too much)
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 67 Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 PM

Quote:
... by GranolaMommy
... This reminds me of a joke from bangitout

From Top 12 Habits of Highly Modern Orthodox People

#11. You frequently use the phrase, "It's only D'Rabanan anyway". (My DH used to use this phrase a touch too much)
:

:LOL

That's actually seriously funny because it's very true ...

No offense meant to any m.o. mamas in the virtual room ...

T

So what is "bangitout"?
#63 of 67 Old 09-23-2003, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by merpk
T

So what is "bangitout"?
www.bangitout.com

A humor site created by a couple of YU guys (who also run the very popular NYC Tu B'Av party) Some of the stuff just isn't funny. Some is too "yeshivish" for me to understand.
#64 of 67 Old 04-15-2004, 05:37 PM

Bump
#65 of 67 Old 04-16-2004, 04:07 AM

Quote:
... by DaryLLL
... Bump ...

Okay, now what?

#66 of 67 Old 04-21-2004, 10:01 PM

Wow, how on Earth do I keep missing these really cool threads? :LOL

Quote:
If you look at the actual observance of US Jews who i.d. with different movements, you might find that some folks who affiliate with a Reform Temple have the same observance as Jews who affiliate with an Orthodox schul. There are both aesthetic and ideological reasons to affiliate with a movement, beyond being too lazy to keep kosher, you know? For one thing, some people might be Shabbat observant but think it's immoral not to count women in a minyan. (Or the other way, drive to synagogue on Saturday but feel just too weird about women being rabbis.)
Once upon a time, I thought that Reform Judaism was basically not Jewish. In retrospect, I realize that I got this impression from the Orthodox Jews I gew up around. : The first time I told someone at the Reform congregation that I'd been raised Orthodox, they said "Oh, so is this like walking into a church for you?" They know that that's how Reform Judaism is represented/discussed in the (local) Orthodox community. (FTR, I totally see the distinction between Orthodox and Torah-observant; that's very clear to me!) Honestly, I was surprised that there was any Hebrew at all in the Friday night service, or the Saturday morning service. At any rate, the reasons I attend/affiliate with a Reform congregation have little to do with my level of observance and much more to do with politics, logistics, etc. My mother is not remotely Torah observant but she still affiliates with an Orthodox shul; my sister isn't really observant either, but she associates with some very frum people.

About Moshiach: I definately believe that Moshiach will come one day, and I believe that it is the job of every Jew to hasten his arrival, but I haven't decided what exactly that means to me yet.

T Someone mentioned that the virgin birth thing is from a mistranslation of the word for "maiden"; as I recall, the word used is either "naarah" or something with the same root. It doesn't even mean "maiden", only "young woman" or something closer to "an unmarried woman of childbearing age".. basically an adolescent.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#67 of 67 Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eilonwy
T Someone mentioned that the virgin birth thing is from a mistranslation of the word for "maiden"; as I recall, the word used is either "naarah" or something with the same root. It doesn't even mean "maiden", only "young woman" or something closer to "an unmarried woman of childbearing age".. basically an adolescent. [/B]
The Hebrew word is almah (maiden). It was misleadingly translated into the Greek when the whole Tanakh was trans at the order of Alexander the Great, ca 300 BCE, as parthenos (virgin).

Most English modern Xtian Bibles still tran it as virign, as it is an important proof text for Jesus' ancestry (even tho it was not meant as a proof for that when originally written, as can be seen if you read the pericope in context.)

Isaiah 7:14- Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin [sic] will be with child and will give birth to a son, and [and he ] or [and they]] will call him Immanuel.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/b...=CEV&x=12&y=10

Quote:
7.14 virgin: Or "young woman." In this context the difficult Hebrew word did not imply a virgin birth. However, in the Greek translation made about 200 (B.C. )and used by the early Christians, the word parthenos had a double meaning. While the translator took it to mean "young woman," [the author and/or editors of] Matthew understood it to mean "virgin" and quoted the passage (Matthew 1.23) because it was the appropriate description of Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page