NON-LDS Book of Mormon/Jospeh Smith followers - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious about the religions that follow the Book of Mormon and/or Joseph Smith but are not from the mainstream LDS faith. I would love to hear your beliefs.

(No flaming! I just find it very interesting)

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm interested, too, I had no idea there were any!
#3 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM

there is an amazing book on porter rockwell, I think it is called portor rockwell, he was smith's "body guard" I absolutely love it, my father had me read it. I will ask him about more when I get home thats the only one that I could come up with off the top of my head.

oh, now that i read your post more closely, one that I can think of is the jeff-jeffers whoever that has all those children in the compound in texas and other jackassery.

there is the RLDS( i can't remember what they changed their name to) as an LDS you are kinda coached to view them as devil spawn, the broke off from the mainstream after JS died, the RLDS believed that it should follow linage so JS jr took over, they are actually a really cool little sect, women have a larger roll, and the experience is less overbearing.

I am ex-mo just for background on where I pulled these ideas from. I will venture to say that other then the RLDS 99% of the others are in it for plural marriage

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#4 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM

#5 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I am ex-mo just for background on where I pulled these ideas from. I will venture to say that other then the RLDS 99% of the others are in it for plural marriage
See I thought this too but then Megan talked about on the "weird thing" thread how she reads the BoM but is not LDS and that there are others like her. Since then I have heard of more than just F/RLDS who believe the same. I believe RLDS are now called Community of Christ?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Yes, RLDS are now Community of Christ.

There are a few other sects in Independence, very small ones, the one I can think of off the top of my head is the Church of JC of LDS - Temple Lot, which holds the Temple Lot property in Independence MO.

babyf.gif

#7 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM

My husband's family is RLDS and go by that name, not Community of Christ. They follow the book of Mormon but are not Mormon. Of course, no one can ever really tell me anything when I ask questions.

They live in Iowa. I would like more information on RLDS if anyone has any.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#8 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 02:18 PM

I still read my BoM and love it. I just can't stand the "culture" of being Mormon. If they would accept me for who I am and not try to change me I would probably attend church again. But alas, living a good life and being a caring person aren't enough to redeem my tattoos and such.

RolliePollie Internet searches will get you quite a bit of info on RLDS. I wish I could tell you more, but like I said, being LDS they make you think RLDS is devilworship.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#9 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I still read my BoM and love it. I just can't stand the "culture" of being Mormon. If they would accept me for who I am and not try to change me I would probably attend church again. But alas, living a good life and being a caring person aren't enough to redeem my tattoos and such.
Wow I am so sorry You can come be in my ward any day, tattoos and all. I totally get where you are coming from, there are many that are quite self-righteous in the Church. Through the years, I have learned a lot about this. At first, I just tried to fit in, but I grew, both spiritually and mentally, I started just being "me". It was hard at first, but as people would get to know me more, they would usually like me anyway and accept me for who I am. I hope Mags comes and weighs in on this a bit too, I know she deals with this as well. Again, I am so so sorry for your experience. I know my apology can't make up for the ignorance of others, but I do feel your pain.

ETA no one has the right to judge you, we all commit sins, no one is perfect in the Church, no one. This Church teaches love and acceptance, I wish more LDS people would take that to heart as much as they take not drinking coffee to heart.
#10 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
My husband's family is RLDS and go by that name, not Community of Christ. They follow the book of Mormon but are not Mormon. Of course, no one can ever really tell me anything when I ask questions.

They live in Iowa. I would like more information on RLDS if anyone has any.
I wish I knew more about what they believe. I have read their website a bit, but that's about it. Contrary to the other poster, I don't think I have ever heard anyone even mention the RLDS in our Church, except to maybe say that they still own some property that we consider historical to ours. I know I read on their site that they don't really believe Joseph Smith practiced polygamy (or something to that effect), which I found odd since it is a pretty well documented fact that he did and the other belief I saw that was very different would be that women can get the priesthood in their Church. Those seem to be to major differences from my Church, but I really don't know anymore then that.
#11 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens View Post
Wow I am so sorry You can come be in my ward any day, tattoos and all. I totally get where you are coming from, there are many that are quite self-righteous in the Church. Through the years, I have learned a lot about this. At first, I just tried to fit in, but I grew, both spiritually and mentally, I started just being "me". It was hard at first, but as people would get to know me more, they would usually like me anyway and accept me for who I am. I hope Mags comes and weighs in on this a bit too, I know she deals with this as well. Again, I am so so sorry for your experience. I know my apology can't make up for the ignorance of others, but I do feel your pain.

ETA no one has the right to judge you, we all commit sins, no one is perfect in the Church, no one. This Church teaches love and acceptance, I wish more LDS people would take that to heart as much as they take not drinking coffee to heart.
Ya know if I lived in colorado and not ohio I would defiantly take you up on your offer. I live right next to a military base and we get a lot of "utah" mormons that sadly, think they are more enlightened then the "farm-folk" from ohio. either that or they are looking at you like you are a project for them to work on or you are an untouchable that they want to hide their children from : sad but true.

#12 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Ya know if I lived in colorado and not ohio I would defiantly take you up on your offer. I live right next to a military base and we get a lot of "utah" mormons that sadly, think they are more enlightened then the "farm-folk" from ohio. either that or they are looking at you like you are a project for them to work on or you are an untouchable that they want to hide their children from : sad but true.
Wow. I so know where you are coming from. We used to live in the Columbus area and most of the Members that came to our ward were cliqueish (don't think that's a word) Utah Mormons. I actually almost stopped going to Church while we lived there, they refused to be friends with me, it was so incredibly hard. Then, we moved away and luckily I have never had to deal with it to that extent again. (((hugs)))
#13 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ack! I so know what you are talking about because I deal with it here as well. There are some really holier-than-thou members :Puke IMO we should know better but it doesn't always play out. It's one of my big issues with the church. I always have to step back and remember that the gospel is true not the people. We are, of course, brothers and sisters in Zion but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them and take their crap.

#14 of 23 Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM

This is the church I grew up in: http://thechurchofjesuschrist.com/

Scary, scary people... though they look fairly benign, and in the context of the greater world, they are... but as a female child growing up there... scary.
#15 of 23 Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
This is the church I grew up in: http://thechurchofjesuschrist.com/

Scary, scary people... though they look fairly benign, and in the context of the greater world, they are... but as a female child growing up there... scary.
Interesting.
What made them scary (and I'm sorry that you wet though it )?

#16 of 23 Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Honestly, it's still hard for me to talk about (20+ years later) but they are misogynistic, anti-education and insular to the extreme... I was called a "heretic" at 9 for questioning why women weren't allowed in the power structure of the church. Growing up, I was TERRIFIED of anyone not in the church... was't allowed to be friends/have playdates with anyone other than church folk, etc....

I am the first female EVER in my extended family (which is huge) to go to college and actually get a degree and have a career.

Scary people.
#17 of 23 Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 PM

: mostly as I find this all fascinating. there are many hours of vids on youtube about the FLDS btw..

The man I am seeing just revealed to me his family (from his parents and earlier) are RLDS for generations back. (he is a born again christian so I don't know how much he actually knows of the topic)

Anyway how does RLDS differ from mainstream mormonism and FLDS? I only got a chance to ask a few questions, the answers I got were vague, but I will ask more when I get a chance!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#18 of 23 Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
RolliePollie Internet searches will get you quite a bit of info on RLDS. I wish I could tell you more, but like I said, being LDS they make you think RLDS is devilworship.
I'm LDS and I've never thought or been told that RLDS is devilworship or otherwise bad.
#19 of 23 Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
This is interesting--in our EQ presidency one counselor has some serious tats --you only see if he's wearing (long) shorts, but he organized a temple outing in the spring and everything. He's the nicest guy there ever was. I mean, tats are permanent and it can be a health risk to have them removed so a person may not get them off now, but we are a missionary church. What about all those African cultures (and islander?)? The church is very strong in Tonga.
#20 of 23 Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM

I scoured the net one time trying to find info on RLDS out of curiosity. Just couldn't find anything more than their website and chump change of info, usually plagiarized from the site I'd looked at before. Why so little?

I would actually like to know more about some of the independents who support LDS beliefs but are not members of the LDS itself. It's hard to put them into a group because they are.....well, independent! But do they have perhaps a message board that would be helpful?
#21 of 23 Old 08-02-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
This is interesting--in our EQ presidency one counselor has some serious tats --you only see if he's wearing (long) shorts, but he organized a temple outing in the spring and everything. He's the nicest guy there ever was. I mean, tats are permanent and it can be a health risk to have them removed so a person may not get them off now, but we are a missionary church. What about all those African cultures (and islander?)? The church is very strong in Tonga.
Not only that but we had a Tongan (I believe) missionary who had an arm piece that was visible. A friend asked him once if he was a convert and he said no- that it was just a family tradition.

#22 of 23 Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
I scoured the net one time trying to find info on RLDS out of curiosity. Just couldn't find anything more than their website and chump change of info, usually plagiarized from the site I'd looked at before. Why so little?

I would actually like to know more about some of the independents who support LDS beliefs but are not members of the LDS itself. It's hard to put them into a group because they are.....well, independent! But do they have perhaps a message board that would be helpful?
I believe RLDS are called Community of Christ now??? Not too sure on this.

Also I have recently discovered that fundamentalist Mormons often are independent. Apparently there are more than a few people out there who practice some form of Mormon doctrine or another independently.

#23 of 23 Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens View Post
I wish I knew more about what they believe. I have read their website a bit, but that's about it. Contrary to the other poster, I don't think I have ever heard anyone even mention the RLDS in our Church, except to maybe say that they still own some property that we consider historical to ours. I know I read on their site that they don't really believe Joseph Smith practiced polygamy (or something to that effect), which I found odd since it is a pretty well documented fact that he did and the other belief I saw that was very different would be that women can get the priesthood in their Church. Those seem to be to major differences from my Church, but I really don't know anymore then that.
I don't think that the current CoC teaches that JS, Jr. wasn't a polygamist at all. I think that there was a time period when they really tried to assert that, largely because of the stigma attached to polygamy, and the fact that the CoC prophet, JSIII, was the product of a polygamous line. But they've come to accept the undeniable historical truth that JS was most certainly a polygamist.

CoC never accepted polygamy. Emma Smith, JS's original wife, who most certainly opposed polygamy, was a CoC member.

Another important difference between CoC and the current LDS church is that women have the priesthood.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page