As a Christian I have a difficult time understanding... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... some fo the following things:

*** I can't believe that something as beautiful as making love to a your soulmate can be sinful and needs forgiveness, just because you are/were not married in Church....

*** I can't believe that a kind, loving, and generous person that was not baptised will end up in some horrible place just because they have not accepted Christianity as their religion as I have.

*** If pride is one of the biggest sins, then how can it be that all priests wear fancy robes, and the higher the rank is, the fancier the attire?

*** If homosexuality is such an awful sin, then how can there be so many kind and wonderful people who find happiness for themselves and others in this difficult life? Why in the world should they feel bad about who they are if God created them that way in the first place?

Tell me what you think. Shouldn't love and kindness be the only criteria in judging a person?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#2 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM

I have all of those same difficulties, Oriole, and my take on it is that loving people as Christ taught us is what it's all about. I think that we get into (human) trouble when we start making rules for other people that are about something OTHER than love. Like exclusion.
#3 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM

I have no advice or sage wisdom to offer.

These questions (along with several of my own) are the reasons I cannot identify myself as Christian any more.

As far as the gay thing...the way it's been explained to me is that they (homosexuals) have the free will to act or not act on those urges. A homosexual man can still marry and love a woman, and consumate the marriage and just avoid the desire to partner with other men in the interest of avoiding sin. Which to me means that you're asking someone to live a lie, really. And what kind of expectation is that? Not fair for anyone, really.

But I'm looking forward to reading what others have to say.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#4 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
*** If homosexuality is such an awful sin, then how can there be so many kind and wonderful people who find happiness for themselves and others in this difficult life? Why in the world should they feel bad about who they are if God created them that way in the first place?
I'm no longer a christian, and the point above is one of many reasons why. The problem I have with it is that a certain percentage of animals are gay. I think it is about 10%. Even sheep, the often referenced animal in the bible, has a certain amount that prefer the same sex. I had a hard time believing that something was "unnatural" if roughly the same percentage of animals as humans were homosexual. Doesn't that prove just how natural it is? Living the NFL lifestyle, we often look to animals to see what is most natural (e.g. birth, breastfeeding, attachment), so it seemed logical to me to look to animals for this as well to determine what was the most natural.
#5 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I just want to point out that there are many Christian denominations that have many different perspectives on these issues. The word "Christian" certainly does not imply only one perspective or point of view on these questions.

Questions of salvation, baptism, sexual ethics, sexual identity, decorum (from high church to low church -- robes to suits and ties), gender, etc... are all hotly debated issues and different churches take very different stands. You could have some interesting conversations by talking to a range of ministers/pastors/priests on these questions. By visiting different churches I'd bet you'd get a fascinating range of perspectives.

I am a Christian and the Episcopal church where I am a member has a rainbow flag outside and is happy to marry and support gay families of which we have many in our congregation. The Episcopal church is generally ceremonial and has lots of the robes and such which you object to, but other churches are known for avoiding them and many are non-hierarchical so there aren't "higher ups" in the first place. Many churches (Congregationalists, Baptists, etc...) have democratic voting and structures, for instance.

I think having questions about your faith is a great starting place for engaging people, reading, going deeper.
#6 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
... some fo the following things:

*** I can't believe that something as beautiful as making love to a your soulmate can be sinful and needs forgiveness, just because you are/were not married in Church....

*** I can't believe that a kind, loving, and generous person that was not baptised will end up in some horrible place just because they have not accepted Christianity as their religion as I have.

*** If pride is one of the biggest sins, then how can it be that all priests wear fancy robes, and the higher the rank is, the fancier the attire?

Tell me what you think. Shouldn't love and kindness be the only criteria in judging a person?

It is easy to love ourselves and easy to love each other and even easy to say we love Christ but he was clear that if we loved him we would pick up our cross and follow him and follow his commandments (ultimately his fathers commandments). He never promised us a happy easy life. Anyone can show love. anyone can be kind. these things benefit us greatly. And we are rewarded for them in this life. Loving and serving God is about so much more than being loving and being Kind. it is about Him. and granted, loving others is loving him but it is so so much more.

marriage is sacred. and sex i sacred and belongs only in the confines of marriage. what people outside the church do is none of my business but if someone is truly your soul mate i don't see how they could dishonor your faith or be willing to risk your salvation. or if you truly love Christ how you can choose a mere mortal over Him and his law (of course that is ideal and we all stumble and choose daily to put a million things before God and then we repent . . . .but the key is knowing you blew it rather than thinking you know better than God)

Christ is willing and able to save whom he will. But those who rebelliously reject Him and selfishly put themselves and their desires above His and think they know better than Him should not bank on Gods generosity. but in the end perhaps His mercy will extend even to those who felt they were too good for Him or were to busy to give him the praise and honor he was due. I have no doubt that God will fully embrace those that are truly his regardless of where circumstances in this life took them. But i also think there are a lot of people who claim to be followers of Christ but are willing to sacrifice nothing for him, follow him no where and give nothing to him. there are people who claim to believe and yet act as if they are immune from everything he said. Loving others is not enough. loving yourself is not enough. feeling good about Jesus is not enough. the rich young ruler believed in Christ. he knew the law and had kept it. by all accounts he was a good guy who believed in Jesus. yet he refused to follow him. and Jesus response was "nice meeting you. good bye." I don't have a problem with Gods judgment. He created us for his glory. what he ultimately decides to do with us is His business.

I can't speak for all priests but our priests do not wear fancy robes as a sign of pride. Each piece of their vestments reflect an attribute of Christ or in some way call to mind his glory and love. They are a sacrifice and an offering often paid for at great cost by the priest or the church (parishes often take up collections for gift giving occasion or if they priest refuses to accept cash they will give a gift certificate to go towards vestments). All of the vestments I have ever seen for sale are hand made by monastic communities. So even the work put into them is an offering and sacrifice to God. each stitch loving and prayerfully sewn on. As the priest dress in their vestments they offer specific prayers, so even dressing in them is an act of worship. Everything in our churches is a reflection of Gods glory and an offering and sacrifice to Him. if you look at the old testament God called for beauty, he called for our riches and our talents to be poured out as acts of worship. Our priest do not parade around town in their vestments. They rarely even wear them elsewhere in the church. (such as the fellowship hall) they are for the holy places only and for holy work only. Around town our priests dress in black, usually plain unadorned robes. In America they often wear a black suit with collar or black chinos/button up shirt with collar. Things like crosses, hats, and misc other pieces denote what kind of priest or bishop they are, how much education they have, if they can hear confession, etc. . . .And again these are generally worn only for church business (priest wil often wear a largish cross out but this is to denote that they are a priest and available for whatever priestly needs you have.) Our priest always wants to be quickly known as an orthodox priest. he wears his long black robe, and his very priestly beard but it is not about pride. quite the opposite. He wants people to know that if they have any questions, need anything and have been unable to find a priest that he is here for them. It also reminds him that the spot light is always on and even when he is grocery shopping or driving his car mowing his lawn he is a reflection of Christ and His church and needs to conduct himself accordingly. The vestments are surprisingly practical but everything, even the practical is a reflection of Gods glory and requires us to bring our best. I am sure some people see it as pride but this would be unreasonable judgmentalness on their part without knowing someone for sure. and I am sure some people feel prideful. but pridefullness is a funny thing and some people can manage to get all uppity about how humble they are (or appear to be) so beauty offered up to God is in no way any more of an indicator of pride than drab clothing worn vainly. i still remember the first time i saw the vestments. the churches I grew up in the pastor was dressed up if he was wearing nice jeans and a polo shirt. when I saw the vestments and the serious nature of the preists as they went about their business (in our church they do not interact with the congregation much - compared to a protestant pastor. they have their job to do we have our job to do, the choir and readers have their job to do and we all mesh to make one glorious offering of praise . . .but um . . I am off track . . . the first time I saw the vestments ) I thought "here are some people ready to bring a sacrifice of praise before God!! They looked like men on a mission. doing very serious business before the throne of God.

Homosexuality, like any fornication is a sin because it separates sex from its intended place. But it is no worse than heterosexual fornication (any sexual impurity or anything that takes sex from its proper place in marriage and from doing what God intended it to do. some people would say that this includes using birth control so that you can separate the joy of sex from the heavy responsibility and ad balance that God put with it). It is not always easy being where God put us and celibacy is never easy. But sometimes we are called to walk a hard road. if we can let go of sex being this ultimate goal and ultimate happiness in life and embrace God and His will as the ultimate happiness and goal in life then I think celibacy would come a lot easier and happiness being where God has placed you (even if that means no sex - and there are lots of people not entitled to sex) would be easier. and this is coming from a person who may never get any ever again and is not real happy about it. So I am struggling to be happy where God has placed me.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Homosexuality isn't fornication. Good grief.

Astoria, I'm an Episcopalian, too. I like how Gene Robinson (he's a fornicator like me! ) describes it: Advanced Placement spirituality.
#8 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM

I'll echo some of the other posters that these reasons (and a few more) are why I no longer identify as Christian. I go to a liberal Espiscopal church, and can't repeat the Nicene Creed. Jesus is the ONLY son of God? I don't believe that for a minute. I am overcome with the feeling of hypocrisy when I attend that church. I really need to go elsewhere.

I also have a hard time with the idea of a God who will save others and allow others to be "left behind." Does that make me a universalist?
#9 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Homosexuality, like any fornication is a sin because it separates sex from its intended place. But it is no worse than heterosexual fornication (any sexual impurity or anything that takes sex from its proper place in marriage and from doing what God int4ended it to do. some people would say that this includes using birth control so that you can separate the joy of sex from the heavy responsibility and ad balance that God put with it). It is not always easy being where God put us and celibacy is never easy. But sometimes we are called to walk a hard road. if we can let go of sex being this ultimate goal and ultimate happiness in life and embrace God and His will as the ultimate happiness and goal in life then I think celibacy would come a lot easier and happiness being where God has placed you (even if that means no sex - and there are lots of people not entitled to sex) would be easier. and this is coming from a person who may never get any ever again and is not real happy about it. So I am struggling to be happy where God has placed me.
First, I think it is highly offensive for you to say that homosexuality is a sin. In your mere opinion and in your interpretation of the scriptures it may be, but in reality it is a perfectly natural act and way of living.

Second, being gay doesn't mean you just want sex. It means you want a relationship too. To not be gay when that is your desire is not only denying yourself sex, it is also denying yourself a fulfilling relationship with a mate that you desire, and it may even put you into an unfulfilling heterosexual relationship that is totally unfair to your partner. The 'sin' is not your sexual orientation you were born with, it is living a lie.
#10 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Thank you, jennica.
#11 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 PM

As an ELCA Lutheran, I can tell you most of us also are very inclusive in our ideas. I really nodded my head as I read the OP and I appreciate some of the comments here from gentle Christians.

It is true God does not promise us easy lives. Our reward is supposed to be eternal. But life can be joyous, and we are supposed to take joy in bettering other people's lives. For me that means not tearing them down and shaking a finger while I say "neener! you're doing it wrong!"
#12 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Christ is willing and able to save whom he will. But those who rebelliously reject Him and selfishly put themselves and their desires above His and think they know better than Him should not bank on Gods generosity. but in the end perhaps His mercy will extend even to those who felt they were too good for Him or were to busy to give him the praise and honor he was due.
I understand we disagree, obviously what I say won't change your mind, but in your reply here, I don't see an answer to my question: shouldn't only judgement of a person be how kind and loving they are towards others? Nowhere do I mention selfish desires, I'm talking of selfless people who do good every day of their lives, and maybe faithfully follow some other religion, Budhism, or Judaism, for instance. I'm sure they don't do it for rebellious reasons, as I don't follow my faith for rebellious reasons. So what would they be punished for if they spread kindness and love in their lives, kwim?

I don't demand that my child loves only me, and will not punish a kind person just because they don't bow down to me. I can't imagine God being more demanding and proud in this than I am. I judge people based upon how kindly they treat others, and I want to believe that that's the only judgement God will use with others, none other makes sense to me, because it makes God too... proud and too.. human, kwim? It's the opposite, I think of him as the most patient and loving being there is, which means he can't reject those who have sacrificed their lives for others simply because they followed another spiritual path.

For example... If a Jewish person leads the life of kindness and selfsacrifice for others, if he/she forgives the enemies, doesn't hold grudges, and cherishes his/her family, and doesn't allow pride to cloud his/her relationship with other people, I don't see "my God" punishing that Jewish person just because they didn't acknowledge Christ in their life...

I'm not sure if I"m making sense, but I'm trying. The point is, God that I believe in cares only for whether or not people did good and genuinely tried to become better people, regardless of what religion they followed.

Why does a kind, self-sacrificing, loving Christian deserves eternal paradise any more than a loving, self-sacrificing, kind Budhist? If the answer is "because they didn't go to church on Sunday", then it's not good enough of an answer to me. ANY good (and you can interprete "good" any way you see fit) person deserves a paradise, do they not?..

#13 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
marriage is sacred. and sex i sacred and belongs only in the confines of marriage. what people outside the church do is none of my business but if someone is truly your soul mate i don't see how they could dishonor your faith or be willing to risk your salvation.
And again, I understand that you are speaking from point of view of following the letter of the Bible, but to me, marriage IS sacred, but less sacred than true love. Why? Because marriages are faked every day of the week. People cheat, they take selfish standpoint in their relationships, they promise to love one another in Church and then do as they please. There are a lot more selfish, miserable sinners in the "proper" marriages, then in the true love relationships, simply because when people share TRUE love, they somehow radiate it onto others, haven't anyone else notice this? Am I the only one?..

What you will not find, is people "faking" true love, because it is a feeling, you either share it with another or you don't. No one is there to check on you, no papers to sign, no poems to read in front of others. It's in you, and it's a part of you. And when you have that true love in front of you, EVERY action done out of love is sacred to me in the eyes of God. Making love is beautiful, not sinful. Nothing beautiful can be restrained by the piece of paper that says "married" on it, I can't imagine God looking at something like this as "dishonor" to myself or the one I love.

Who are we hurting by sharing our love with each other?.. Certainly not each other, and how can it be offensive to the God of love and patience if our actions are one of the greatest expressions of love?

#14 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Oriole, my take is that there are many ways to lead a Godly life--Jesus is one of those ways.
#15 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Oriole, my take is that there are many ways to lead a Godly life--Jesus is one of those ways.
I think more and more I'm begining to see it that way.

#16 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I think more and more I'm begining to see it that way.
Why the embarrassed smiley? I've had endless conversations with my priest friends and family and none of them have had an issue with my beliefs (I have Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopal priests and seminarians all over my life and family, for various reasons).
#17 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Why the embarrassed smiley? I've had endless conversations with my priest friends and family and none of them have had an issue with my beliefs (I have Catholic, Lutheran and Episcopal priests and seminarians all over my life and family, for various reasons).
I don't "read" the smilies, and I'm trying to show that my intentions are peaceful, that I don't mean to start an argument, just a discussion. I just don't understand how it can make sense to anyone in any other way. DP is a Catholic, and the best, kindest man I've ever known. However, I can't imagine that he's the only one like this, and that if there was another person like him out there that they wouldn't deserve "to be saved" just because they are not Catholic.

I also find that traditional Christianity takes rather ignorant stand on homosexsuality, and I'm not sure how certain things are not clear to church. Which part of "this is the way God chose to create me, this is who I am" is unclear? Can they help who they fall in love with? Do they think it would be "healthy" for their spirituality to fight their love for another human being? Do they define themselves as better people because they were born heterosexual? In my view of the world, a person's actions and what they bring to this world should matter infinetly more than whether they are in love with a man or a woman, and I believe God sees it that way too, and if he is truly the God of love, then he cannot bear to look at all the hate surrounding this issue, and be on the side of hate and intollerance.

#18 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I don't "read" the smilies, and I'm trying to show that my intentions are peaceful, that I don't mean to start an argument, just a discussion.
Gotcha.
#19 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Oh um, and I never got the story where Abraham was tested by being willing to sacrifice his son. I'm sure it has come up here somewhere before, I just don't see a God of love doing it to anyone... Especially MY God, the God of love and kindness, who knows what it's like to watch his child in pain. that story doesn't make sense on any level to me, regardless of how much people try to explain it. If seen literaly as it is presented in the Bible, it is cruel and inhumane. Period.

So I assume the story is not true or has been unrecognizibly changed over the centuries... Anyone with me on this one?..

#20 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh um, and I never got the story where Abraham was tested by being willing to sacrifice his son. I'm sure it has come up here somewhere before, I just don't see a God of love doing it to anyone... Especially MY God, the God of love and kindness, who knows what it's like to watch his child in pain. that story doesn't make sense on any level to me, regardless of how much people try to explain it. If seen literaly as it is presented in the Bible, it is cruel and inhumane. Period.

So I assume the story is not true or has been unrecognizibly changed over the centuries... Anyone with me on this one?..
I agree. The story of Sodom and Gamorrah (sp?) where the man hands his daughters over to the angry crowd to be raped so that the angels aren't raped bothers me too.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#21 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Well like others have said, my denomenation is one of love and above all else, love and acceptance as Jesus taught us is the most important. I constantly find myself saying "But I'm not one of THOSE Christians" which is pretty sad on various levels.

Our denomenation does do baptisms, but they don't believe that that will save you from hell. Our national church supports same sex marriage and various congregations perform them. I don't know what the official stance on sex before marriage is, but I'm willing to bet there are a heck of a lot of people in our church and who have been ordained to have participated in hanky panky before their wedding. And pride, well various ministers do wear robes, but I can bet that they're not worth a lot. Recently our church has gone through a big uproar because the funding to our outreach mission has been cut dramatically, our church is very big on doing work to help others without trying to convert. Much of the ideal is to work through our faith and that worship is best done through completely selfless volunteer work.

I'm not saying this to brag or be contrary, but I definitely do agree with all of your points and they are near and dear to my heart, which is the reason why I belong to this church. Apparently a lot of people in my country do because it's the largest protestant denomenation in my country.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#22 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on most of your points, but I'll share my thinking on your first question. I think a lot of the questions you raise have to do with what our expectations are from religion/God. Is religion something to give us peace and personal fulfillment? Is religion supposed to give us moral guidance, individually and collectively? Both? Something else? If you look at religions like Judaism and Islam, it seems that at least one of their purposes was/is to provide a way to structure society in a moral way.

So if you look at Christianity in that context, I think the prohibition on sex outside of marriage makes sense. There are possible consequences to sex--emotional attachment, pregnancy, disease. From a historical perspective, I think the commitment and legal constructs of marriage provided/provides a safe structure for these consequences to occur in a way that is better for society. Historically, sex without marriage quite likely meant unplanned pregnancy at a time when women were much less able to provide financially for themselves and their children, which led to all sorts of societal ills (poverty, abandoned children, infanticide, etc.). Today, of course, that may not be as much of an issue for many (but not all) of us in the West, but it certainly is still the situation in much of the world. So sex outside of marriage can be a sin in that its consequences can be harmful for society.

On a personal level, I think that sex outside of marriage can be a way of using someone sexually. Even if you love someone, if you're not willing to commit yourself to that person in marriage, you are still holding parts of yourself back. There's still an element of selfishness in what is supposed to be complete giving. Now, someone pointed out that people get married for all kinds of unloving reasons, which is true, but I think most churches that view marriages as sacraments would not consider those valid marriages because of the lack of proper intent.
#23 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Expanding on a previous thought----
so is it fornication if you have sex at any other time than when it's possible conceive? Like when you aren't ovulating. Or after menopause? Or if you are infertile?
#24 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Er, that isn't a Christian doctrine. Marriage is civil; you can be married anywhere you like, or forgo the ceremony entirely if that's the civil tradition where you live. Adam and Eve weren't married in church...

Quote:
Why not? Do you not believe that this is what the Bible teaches? Or do you hold God to a moral standard other than and higher than Himself? If so, what is that standard, and how is it absolute and objective?

Quote:
Quite.

Quote:
Committing any one sin does not preclude one from being a kind and wonderful person. Nor does the Bible claim that one should feel guilty about any kind of temptation one is given. If you believe God is wrong to condemn homosexuality, I repeat the question above: by what alternative objective moral standard do you find God immoral?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#25 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
If you believe God is wrong to condemn homosexuality, I repeat the question above: by what alternative objective moral standard do you find God immoral?
I believe that God only judges people based upon whether they were kind to others or not, I don't think he cares about sexual preference, since I can be the most wonderful, loving and forgiving person on earth, and not be heterosexual, so why would my sexuality matter to God? Why would he care if I'm in love with a man or a woman, as long as I deeply care about the person? It's not a question of morality, or temptation, it's just a question of biology, as I understand it. Otherwise it would be pretty cruel of God to set up 10% of population for the life of misery to pretend to be someone they are not, kwim?

Quote:
Why not? Do you not believe that this is what the Bible teaches? Or do you hold God to a moral standard other than and higher than Himself? If so, what is that standard, and how is it absolute and objective?
I believe in the absolute standards of love, generosity, forgiveness, and self-sacrifice. Accepting other religions doesn't make one immoral. Being unkind, selfish, and greedy does (that's what I believe).

Quote:
Er, that isn't a Christian doctrine. Marriage is civil; you can be married anywhere you like, or forgo the ceremony entirely if that's the civil tradition where you live. Adam and Eve weren't married in church...
I believe that premarital sex is frowned upon in Catholic Church (correct me if I'm wrong?), and I was saying I don't believe that it is sinful and needs God's forgiveness when born out of love.

#26 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPeace View Post
I agree with you on most of your points, but I'll share my thinking on your first question. I think a lot of the questions you raise have to do with what our expectations are from religion/God. Is religion something to give us peace and personal fulfillment? Is religion supposed to give us moral guidance, individually and collectively? Both? Something else? If you look at religions like Judaism and Islam, it seems that at least one of their purposes was/is to provide a way to structure society in a moral way.

So if you look at Christianity in that context, I think the prohibition on sex outside of marriage makes sense. There are possible consequences to sex--emotional attachment, pregnancy, disease. From a historical perspective, I think the commitment and legal constructs of marriage provided/provides a safe structure for these consequences to occur in a way that is better for society. Historically, sex without marriage quite likely meant unplanned pregnancy at a time when women were much less able to provide financially for themselves and their children, which led to all sorts of societal ills (poverty, abandoned children, infanticide, etc.). Today, of course, that may not be as much of an issue for many (but not all) of us in the West, but it certainly is still the situation in much of the world. So sex outside of marriage can be a sin in that its consequences can be harmful for society.

On a personal level, I think that sex outside of marriage can be a way of using someone sexually. Even if you love someone, if you're not willing to commit yourself to that person in marriage, you are still holding parts of yourself back. There's still an element of selfishness in what is supposed to be complete giving. Now, someone pointed out that people get married for all kinds of unloving reasons, which is true, but I think most churches that view marriages as sacraments would not consider those valid marriages because of the lack of proper intent.
This is a good way of explaining it. I think it's easy to look at these traditions as nothing more than a bunch of rules dreamed up by some power-hungry church leaders to suppress the people's freedom, but if you look at it from another perspective... if you look at it, not as *rules,* laws, lists of forbidden activities... but instead view it through the lens of advice for our (the people's) own benefit... it seems different. The traditions concerning sexual activity in particular have been the subject of much scorn and derision in recent years, but the wisdom behind the traditions still remains. Sexual activity creates a bond between two people. There is often the possibility of creating a child (birth control is not infallible) and there is also the possibility of creating a strong emotional and spiritual bond between the partners. Marriage (which doesn't have to be civil marriage or a church ceremony, necessarily) protects that. It enables people to be completely open and safe with their partners without fear of desertion or harm. It isn't about sex being intrinsically bad or any such thing, but a recognition that sex is very *powerful.* It is a mechanism for creating new life, and a mechanism for uniting people in an inseparable bond, both of which, from a traditionally Christian point of view, bring us closer to God. So it is not something to be taken lightly, or done as recreation as our society would tell us that it is.

Now, as regarding "punishment" for such things... that is not my concern. More accurately, that is not my paradigm. It is much more, I believe, helpful and enlightening to look at these doctrines and traditions not as "this is a rule which must be followed in order to avoid punishment" but rather as "this is a way to have a more peaceful life and become closer to God."

That probably makes no sense, right?
#27 of 251 Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Grrr, I replied and it got eaten when MDC went down, prompting a well-meant but unsympathetic comment from DH about how he always writes his blog posts in Notepad. Anyway.

Quote:
I believe that God only judges people based upon whether they were kind to others or not, I don't think he cares about sexual preference
If you don't mind me asking, why do you believe that? If the God we're discussing is the Christian God, ie. as revealed in the Bible, then surely what we believe about Him comes from there. And the Bible says God does care about sexual behavior (sexual preference, ie. the temptation to act sexually with anyone, male or female, is not a sin--giving in to the temptation, whether that be through illicit homosexual or heterosexual sex, is--according to the Bible). Do you have any Biblical evidence to support your position?
Quote:
since I can be the most wonderful, loving and forgiving person on earth, and not be heterosexual, so why would my sexuality matter to God? Why would he care if I'm in love with a man or a woman, as long as I deeply care about the person?
This is a rather odd argument. 'As long as I'm [attribute God likes], why would He care if I'm committing [sin God condemns]?'. Doesn't really make sense. If I'm tender, sensitive and ecologically friendly, that doesn't excuse me from being an arsonist. The Bible never claims that homosexuals are 100% evil, fang-wearing homicidal maniacs; that's not the issue. As for why God condemns homosexual behavior; I don't know. But He does; it's fairly clear from Scripture; and, just as with any Biblical restrictions on sexual behavior (pre-marital sex, adultery, incest), 'caring deeply about a person' is not considered warrant.

Quote:
It's not a question of morality, or temptation, it's just a question of biology, as I understand it. Otherwise it would be pretty cruel of God to set up 10% of population for the life of misery to pretend to be someone they are not, kwim?
I don't know anywhere near enough biology to jump into the 'is it or isn't it genetic' issue. But as I said, the Bible isn't concerned with orientation/prediliction/temptation when it comes to sin--any sin--but with behavior. It is perfectly possible for a Christian homosexual to live a celibate and Godly life. Yes, it is hard. But it is also hard for the Christian heterosexual who struggles with celibacy due to circumstances which prevent him from being married. Or for the Christian who struggles with the temptation towards paedophilia. Or to the Christian wife whose sexual needs are not being met, who is tempted to fulfil them elsewhere. God nowhere owes us a sexually fulfilled life; and the hard truth is, He has made it harder for some of us than others. In sex, as in all areas of life--physical, intellectual, social. Cruel? Does He owe us more?

Quote:
I believe in the absolute standards of love, generosity, forgiveness, and self-sacrifice. Accepting other religions doesn't make one immoral. Being unkind, selfish, and greedy does (that's what I believe).
That doesn't really answer my question. 'Absolute standards of love, generosity, forgiveness and self-sacrifice' is a meaningless statement. Love and forgiveness aren't entities or persons or physical things. They're mental concepts, and the existence of absolute mental concepts necessarily implies an absolute mind (hey, this is a kind of girlified version of the Argument from Reason; coolio). So if you believe they're absolute, who came up with them? God? But if He defines or embodies them, you're back at square one, having to believe what the Bible says about Him (if we're still talking about the Christian God, of course). Or if not God, who?
Quote:
I believe that premarital sex is frowned upon in Catholic Church (correct me if I'm wrong?), and I was saying I don't believe that it is sinful and needs God's forgiveness when born out of love.
Yes, it is frowned on in the Catholic Church, as well as most other denominations. (I'm not Catholic, just for the record). Again I ask: why don't you believe premarital sex is sinful? On Biblical evidence? Or according to some moral standard other than the Christian God (which must be absolute, objective and personal?).

#28 of 251 Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
It isn't a Christian doctrine that one should be married civilly before engaging in sex? I don't know of any mainstream Christian denominations that recognize commitment ceremonies or similar. I know Church of Christ and UU do, but I'm thinking more like Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. Sadly, civil marriage and marriage within a church have become one in the same.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you?
#29 of 251 Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. Yes, in general, marriage is considered to be a civil matter (as it was instituted for all mankind, not just for Christians), so under normal circumstances, in a country which had civil marriage ceremonies, yes indeed. But I *think* most denominations would allow for exceptions to the 'civil ceremony' rule--say, if a couple were trapped on a desert island, for instance. Personally, I think a couple in that circumstance would be quite Biblically 'married' by living together in a permanent, committed relationship. Or, if you happened to be living in a culture where marriage was indicated by moving one's hammock over in the communal sleeping-house--by all means, move the hammock. I'm just saying there isn't anything sacred about four walls and a white dress. But it turns out I misunderstood the nature of Oriole's question anyway, as she wasn't talking about the Church/civil marriage distinction, but about nonmarital sex; so it doesn't matter.

#30 of 251 Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM

subbing, so i remember to come back when i have more time. these questions are ones that i have been having much internal debate about recently.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page