Polite suggestions please? JWs won't leave us alone. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 199 Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tell the JWs, or any other religious solicitors who come to my door, that I'm not comfortable talking about religion with people I don't know well. Then I thenk them and tell them to have a nice day and close the door. This has always worked for me! Sometimes I'll take the literature, sometimes not, depending on how I'm feeling.
#182 of 199 Old 07-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
I've not seen a single post from anybody here who said, "I asked them to NOT COME BACK but they still do." I've seen people say that they put no soliciting signs on the door. Well, guess what? JW's don't solicit. Solicit is to ask for something; beseech for something. http://define.com/Solicit JW's don't come to the door to ask you for anything, they come to the door to offer you something, free of charge.

Nor do I see any post that says that there was a do not disturb sign on the door, and they still came. I'll reread, but I don't see it.

What I'm telling you is this: This is how it's SUPPOSED to happen. You tell them, I don't want any more visits from this house. And we make a note of that and be sure that everyone knows not to come back to your house. Any other "I'm not interested", "I'm a devoted this or that" is not going to work. Only telling them that you don't want anymore visits is what's going to keep them from knocking on your door.

If telling them that doesn't work (and it's supposed to) then look in your local pages, call the local Kingdom Hall and tell them that you don't want any more visits to your address, and that WILL work, although it's not really supposed to come down to that.

ETA:
I don't know where you live, thelissa, but you may have to call someone to get them to stop coming. It's really not supposed to be that way, so I'm not sure why you keep getting visits after telling them to stop. But if you call, or either politely explain to the next person that you keep asking for them to stop coming by and they are doing it anyway, I"m betting they'll apologize profusely and take care of the matter. No organization is perfect, and there are blunders and slip ups from time to time. But telling them not to come back the first time is supposed to solve your problem. We have special instructions to make it known to the rest of us if one house doesn't want any visits, and some one drops the ball ever so often. So you may need to be more forceful and open about the fact that you keep telling them to not visit and they keep doing it anyway. I don't think that's a frequent occurrence though.
Yes it is. It happened at my mom's house often. I specifically told them to put us on the "Do not call list" and they STILL came back. Besides that, DH said (who was forced as a child to go out in service) that even if you are on the do not call list, the Elders are allowed to come to your house once a year to make sure you still don't want them around.

I really never had much a problem at any of the houses I have lived in as an adult, but they were HORRIBLE at my mom's house.
#183 of 199 Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM

OP, I just began here yesterday lol...my husband took the literature, but didn't have a convo with the guy. Which means I'll probably see him again in the future

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#184 of 199 Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Has the issue of PR ever come up among the Jehovah's Witnesses? It seems as if the thing they are best known for is pestering people and being hard to get rid of. Do some members think it would help their image if they stopped doing the door to door thing? Just wondering.
#185 of 199 Old 07-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Has the issue of PR ever come up among the Jehovah's Witnesses? It seems as if the thing they are best known for is pestering people and being hard to get rid of. Do some members think it would help their image if they stopped doing the door to door thing? Just wondering.
PR matters little when it comes to saving lives I imagine. Since that is what they believe that they are doing.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#186 of 199 Old 07-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
I'm sure some members privately feel that way, if not most members (I sure did!), however, they are not allowed to question or admit those feelings or advocate for change, otherwise they would be expelled from the congregation and shunned (assuming they take a stance on the issue and can't be persuaded with council to change their ways). Dissenting viewpoints and opinions are not allowed in that religion, and everyone must follow what the leaders tell them to do or they will be punished.
#187 of 199 Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Um wow.. they VISITED you deliberately AFTER being told you wanted to go on their own do no visit list???? At that point I think polite is out the window, and I'd be ringing the Kingdom Hall again pronto and telling them I now consider it harrassment and am prepared to take legal action if required. Unbelievable the arrogance of some people.
======\\\
#188 of 199 Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I was just going to say...isnt this harassment? I would think you could get some sort of restraining order....I dunno if you could do something against the church itself where they are coming from (I cant remember if youd talked to them yet, but if you had then yeah, Id go that far) or only the members harassing you but seriousl...I'd be doing something.

Can you get a scary Rottweiler?
There was a woman once who, tired of harassment from the local JW's, entered their church during worship and tried to sell/or convert them or something, I don't remember which.

Since she didn't where they lived this was the only way she could show them what it was like. I don't have time to look for it right now but if someone wants to google it and see if they can find it that would be cool.
#189 of 199 Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 AM

In our case, DH has JW relatives so when we tell them that they tend to say "Oh, OK," and leave. I don't know if we are considered the relatives' "territory" or if the missionaries who come to us are just lazy, but anyhow that always works. If you don't have any actual JW relatives, it's up to you whether you think it's OK to lie to missionaries.
#190 of 199 Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
In our case, DH has JW relatives so when we tell them that they tend to say "Oh, OK," and leave. I don't know if we are considered the relatives' "territory" or if the missionaries who come to us are just lazy, but anyhow that always works. If you don't have any actual JW relatives, it's up to you whether you think it's OK to lie to missionaries.
JWs going door to door generally are not missionaries they are just people like you and me who are going door to door within their own neighborhoods usually.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#191 of 199 Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Since putting a sign on my door that says "No soliciting for Goods or Gods", I havent' had a single visit. Prior to that? Every week.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#192 of 199 Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Bumping this thread for a new problem. By telling the JWs not to come to our door anymore and to remove us from their list, we seem to have solved the problem. They did come by once more but told us straight out it would be last time. we have not seen them since.

However...

I had two very nice young men from the LDS church come to my door the other day. I told them we are atheist ( on the response: "aww, when did that happen?") and we weren't interested in converting or receiving information from any religion. I was about to ask them to be taken off their list (figured it was kinda like the JW thing and maybe there was a list...) when the asked me if he could come inside and talk.

My momma instinct kinda kicked in then...it seemed odd to me that two men would come to my door and ask to be let inside. I firmly told them we were not interested and shut the doors.

Is this a common practice, asking to be let inside?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#193 of 199 Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
I've been asked. The purpose is to sit on the couch and strike up a conversation I think. They don't know I'm not an ax murderer and I don't know they are who they say they are, so why do it? The answer's always been a firm no for me.
#194 of 199 Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM

I was under the impression that they were NOT supposed to go alone into a house with a woman, even if you ask them to.
#195 of 199 Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Funny, my husband just got hit up by the LDS missionaries the other day. He said they drove up, parked across the street, and got out and started talking to him as he stood by his work truck. He said he was too busy and not interested, they tried to get him to let him inside to talk, and when he said, "I'm Catholic, I'm not interested," they said, "We have an interdenominational message to share, can we come in?"

My response (as DH was relating the story was), "If you have an interdenominational message, I said I have a religion, and you're still trying to get in my door...why? Because you're trying to convert me away from my religion. GO. AWAY."

So then they said, "Can we arrange a time next week that would be less busy to come back?" : He said no again, and they got back in their car and left.

The weirdest thing: we live in a big subdivision, and yet ours was the only house they appear to have stopped at. Whether that's because they haven't caught us home before or not, I don't know. But now I'm looking askance at our very, very nice LDS neighbors and worrying they've put us on some kind of list...
#196 of 199 Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
The weirdest thing: we live in a big subdivision, and yet ours was the only house they appear to have stopped at. Whether that's because they haven't caught us home before or not, I don't know. But now I'm looking askance at our very, very nice LDS neighbors and worrying they've put us on some kind of list...
I've always heard that the LDS go where the spirit moves them, that they don't have any of the organization that the JW's do. I think they get sent in a general direction, but from their they just try to let god direct them where to go and who to talk to. So, I guess you'll have to blame god for leading them to you.

As far as letting them into my house, no way! If I am home alone I likely wouldn't even open the door, since we live in an apartment now and no one would be around to see if they forced themselves in. When I lived in a house I used to step outside and talk to them on the porch. I have no way to know if they are who they say they are. That would be the perfect cover for someone who was trying to rob you or something, just dress up like JW's or LDS and ask to come in. I'm really surprised they actually ask to come in, wow.
#197 of 199 Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
Happened to us when we lived in MD, two nice young women.
#198 of 199 Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM

: LMBO at all the replies.

What finally got them to leave us alone was when I told them I was in seminary and read the bible in the original Hebrew and Greek (all true, although my Greek is not so great, I use the computer programs as a crutch.) and would they like me to show them the flaws in their version of the Bible's translation. (Bad, I know... but they. will. not. go. away.)

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#199 of 199 Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
: LMBO at all the replies.

What finally got them to leave us alone was when I told them I was in seminary and read the bible in the original Hebrew and Greek (all true, although my Greek is not so great, I use the computer programs as a crutch.) and would they like me to show them the flaws in their version of the Bible's translation. (Bad, I know... but they. will. not. go. away.)
Like what, specifically? Do you know of examples? I was raised on that translation (as I said, I left the organization) and would be interested to hear some of the discrepancies and errors. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page