Can someone explain Mary's place in Catholicism and other Churches? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is off topic, but since we're going there...

We read the Bible all the time growing up, at home and during CCD. I didn't go to Catholic school, but I'm assuming they did as well.

I love Mary and after taking a combination Women's Studies and Religious Studies class, I came back to the Church because Mary, a WOMAN, is so important in the Church. I've always felt close to her.
#32 of 45 Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
This is very interesting, I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't know that about the Islamic view of Mary, either. Pretty cool!

For what it is worth, I went to Catholic school for 10 years, and probably wore my Bible out. We used it constantly, reading from it in class or doing assignments based on whatever place in the book we were in.

Quote:
I love Mary and after taking a combination Women's Studies and Religious Studies class, I came back to the Church because Mary, a WOMAN, is so important in the Church. I've always felt close to her.
That sounds like a GREAT class!!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#33 of 45 Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know that the EO reject the RCC doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, but they do believe in the Assumption, right? Just not to the point of having an official doctrine on it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
#34 of 45 Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Sorry for the guano, but:

Quote:
That sounds like a GREAT class!!
It was! It was taught by a rabbi, and it was the most wonderfullest (I know that's not a word, lol) class I've ever taken. It was specifically about women mystics, and we discussed every religion imaginable. Catholicism is very mystical, so we discussed that a lot. I've never been religious, but I kind of had an epiphany while in the class, like I signed up for it for a reason (besides needing it for graduation ).
#35 of 45 Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I know that the EO reject the RCC doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, but they do believe in the Assumption, right? Just not to the point of having an official doctrine on it? (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
The feast known as the Assumption or Dormition refers to the death of the Mother of God. To that extent, obviously we (Orthodox) believe it took place.
It is also celebrated as a feast because of the belief that, as one of the holiest of people, Mary's death assumes her reception into the heights of Heaven. The Orthodox believe this as well.
The main distinction seems to be a different approach to "official doctrine." The Orthodox church is less inclined to make any kind of official pronouncement on doctrines. In the case of very long-standing beliefs like this one, it is seen as a pointless formality.

The difference of opinion about the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is one aspect of a disagreement about Mary's role in the conception and birth of Christ.
The RC church teaches that Mary was chosen before her birth to be the mother of Christ, and that she was made appropriate and worthy by being born free from all sin, even rendered unable to sin according to many RC theologians.
The Orthodox church believes that Mary was a good and devout woman, but no more free from sin than any other human being. She was asked to serve as mother of Christ, because of her holy life; she could have refused the honour and burden. Therefore, we feel that she was an active participant in our salvation, not just the vessel through which it was achieved.

This distinction can be seen in a tiny difference between the RC and the EO version of the Nicene Creed. The RC church, in its older Latin version, says that Christ was conceived "of the Holy Spirit, through the Virgin Mary." ("incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto ex María Vírgine") The EO church says that Christ was conceived "of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary."
#36 of 45 Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Does Islam have any sacred traditions or writings regarding Mary's childhood?
What else does Islam believe about Mary. i am really interested in hearing that perspective!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#37 of 45 Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Does Islam have any sacred traditions or writings regarding Mary's childhood?
What else does Islam believe about Mary. i am really interested in hearing that perspective!
I'm not totally up-to-date on it... I'll try and read my Qur'an a little tonight and tomorrow and get back to you. :

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#38 of 45 Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
This distinction can be seen in a tiny difference between the RC and the EO version of the Nicene Creed. The RC church, in its older Latin version, says that Christ was conceived "of the Holy Spirit, through the Virgin Mary." ("incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto ex María Vírgine") The EO church says that Christ was conceived "of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary."
I prefer your version! Although, I swear, I was always taught that Mary could've said no - free will and all that.

I'm sure Roman goddesses helped pave the way for the veneration of Mary within the Church - it only makes sense to me, personally - but it is surely her due!

Marian devotions are dear to me. Many times, when I want to walk away from the Church in disgust, there she is with open arms......

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#39 of 45 Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzywan View Post
I prefer your version! Although, I swear, I was always taught that Mary could've said no - free will and all that.
You're correct, the Church teaches that Mary fully consented to carrying Christ. Though I suppose you could argue that since she was free of original sin she'd have no reason to refuse God in the first place.
#40 of 45 Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daricsmami View Post
This is off topic, but since we're going there...

We read the Bible all the time growing up, at home and during CCD. I didn't go to Catholic school, but I'm assuming they did as well.

You may want to research the many Marianist communities and the world wide movement.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#41 of 45 Old 07-06-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Scripture? How about commentary. I went to Catholic School for eight years and rarely read scripture; it was referred to, but we never read it for ourselves. More recently my two younger sons attended Catholic High Schools and never cracked a Bible.

A Cathechism yes. TExtbooks yes. Never a Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

We read Scripture daily, and my daughter's Catholic school did the same, even in Pre-K and Kindergarten.
: Plus, scripture is EVERYWHERE in the Catholic Church. All the prayers are directly from scripture, Liturgy of the Hours, if it is done, is a prayer of the psalms and scripture, one who attends daily mass is getting scripture and will read the the bible in 2 years time I believe, just by doing that.

BUT, the Catholic Church's belief is that it is ultimately the parents responsibility to educate their children in the faith. Schools can help but if they are not doing the job, it is the parents responsibility to ensure a child is properly catechised. Eph 6:1-4 doesn't say send them to school to learn about God and your obligation is done.

Quick take on the OP just the Catholic part as I have never been protestant so can't answer that: Mary leads to Jesus. She is the new Eve who said yes and birthed Jesus, who is both God and Human. Mary is important because of her connection to Jesus. She is not to be worshiped, but she is our mother in Heaven and as such she is to be respected and honored.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#42 of 45 Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
will read the the bible in 2 years time I believe, just by doing that.
3 years time
#43 of 45 Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
3 years time
Aww, thank you. I thought it was 3 years with just Sunday and 2 with daily but I so should be asleep and can't remember anyway.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#44 of 45 Old 08-11-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
: Plus, scripture is EVERYWHERE in the Catholic Church. All the prayers are directly from scripture, Liturgy of the Hours, if it is done, is a prayer of the psalms and scripture, one who attends daily mass is getting scripture and will read the the bible in 2 years time I believe, just by doing that..

THIS!

I was going to type this up, thanks for beatingme to it.

I was totally confused when she said there was no scripture.
EVERYTHING in my catholic life is scripture. :

2 kids. 1 more on the way. Cloth diapers, home birth, and boojuu is how I roll.

#45 of 45 Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM

One note on the pagan customs adopted by the RC Church- Catholics believe that God used many ways to prepare people to receive His message. He did this with the Jews most explicitly (throuhg prophets, etc) but He also worked through pagan cultures less explicitly. So, if their pagan worship of a goddess led them to identify with Christ's mother, there is no problem with that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page