Can We Talk About Atheism/Agnosticism? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 66 Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting that. I get 6.5 points.
#32 of 66 Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhang View Post
Anyone else hate the term atheist? For me (a lack of a belief in a deity or the supernatural), it is technically accurate, but there are lots of things I don't believe in (garden gnomes, for one) but I am not called an agnomist.

I have started calling myself a Humanist. Anyone else?
Yes, I really dislike the label atheist. It feels like I am defining myself according to what is important to others, and not what is important to me.

I sometimes refer to myself as a humanist.
#33 of 66 Old 07-22-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Yes, I really dislike the label atheist. It feels like I am defining myself according to what is important to others, and not what is important to me.

I sometimes refer to myself as a humanist.
My dh refers to himself as a "free thinker" opposed to atheist or agnostic.
#34 of 66 Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa17s View Post
I like the term "free thinker" too. It's the most descriptive IMO. And I've always loved the song My Thought Are Free (Die Gedanken Sind Frei in the orginal German)

Quote:
I think as I please
And this gives me pleasure.
My conscience decrees
This right I must treasure.
My thoughts will not cater
To duke or dictator.
No person can deny
Die Gedanken sind frei.
#35 of 66 Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM

I'm liking these other labels, "free thinker" and "secular humanist". I have trouble fitting myself into atheist or agnostic, and as this thread clearly shows, we all have a different idea of what that means. I also like these other labels because I hate being pigeon holed.

As an example, in my former religion, when a member leaves you have two choices, a) you get expelled from the congregation or b) you formally leave the congregation by writing a letter. Whether you choose a or b, you are pigeon holed into the same category, and you are shunned by everyone in the congregation simply because of your label. Nobody thinks for themselves and makes an individual decision, they simply follow the label and treat you accordingly. Once you have the label, they imagine you to be several things you are not. I avoided these labels by sending a legalized letter that prevented them from assigning any labels to me, or announcing anything about me within their congregations.

It is different with a self imposed label of course, however, it is somewhat similar to me in that many people have misconceptions about what those labels mean, and many people imagine them to mean something different then they do.

So, just like being a former member of a certain religious group that can't pin me down, label me, or figure me out and are forced to ask questions and think for themselves about how to treat me, I think that saying I'm a free thinker or a secular humanist might have the same effect. People would not be able to pigeon hole me into a definition that they think is correct. They would be forced to ask questions if they wanted to know what those terms meant and I would be able to explain my own personal belief system.

Thanks for posting these alternative labels as it really gives me something to think about.
#36 of 66 Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I certainly think people should choose for themselves the labels that work for them. For me, I like the label of agnostic. I agree that many people may misinterpret that label, and it certainly does not represent the sum total of my spiritual belief system, but I believe it accurately describes a particular part of my belief system. I would not use the term secular humanist to describe myself. I think many agnostics and atheists are also secular humanists, but secular humanism is a philosophy and not all agnostics and atheists subscribe to this philosophy, or not in its entirety. On my belief.net quiz I believe secular humanism comes in about third.

I am not a big fan of the label free-thinker. I don't think it can be a substitute for agnostic or atheist. I am sure there are many people who believe in some kind of god who would also call themselves free-thinkers. And I think people who come in at 7 on the Dawkins scale given above are the opposite of free-thinkers because they have absolute faith in something without evidence. They are just like the 1 people in this regard, and the scale even says so. Also, to call myself a free-thinker implies that there are others whose thoughts are not free, and while I may be sure this is true (I am as a matter of fact) calling myself this seems to me to be the equivalent of calling myself a rational person. While I think I am a rational person, if someone asks me what I religion I am or what I believe, this is not what I would answer.

The label I would choose totally depends on context for me. If someone asks me what religion I am, I say "Unitarian Universalist" because that is true for me. If I felt Secular Humanist really identified me then I would say that. For a long time when asked that question I simply said, "none". If someone asks me whether I believe in God, then I would probably say I am agnostic because that would be the most accurate quick answer to that question. Different questions, different answers, so different labels KWIM?

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#37 of 66 Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
I certainly think people should choose for themselves the labels that work for them. For me, I like the label of agnostic. I agree that many people may misinterpret that label, and it certainly does not represent the sum total of my spiritual belief system, but I believe it accurately describes a particular part of my belief system. I would not use the term secular humanist to describe myself. I think many agnostics and atheists are also secular humanists, but secular humanism is a philosophy and not all agnostics and atheists subscribe to this philosophy, or not in its entirety. On my belief.net quiz I believe secular humanism comes in about third.

I am not a big fan of the label free-thinker. I don't think it can be a substitute for agnostic or atheist. I am sure there are many people who believe in some kind of god who would also call themselves free-thinkers. And I think people who come in at 7 on the Dawkins scale given above are the opposite of free-thinkers because they have absolute faith in something without evidence. They are just like the 1 people in this regard, and the scale even says so. Also, to call myself a free-thinker implies that there are others whose thoughts are not free, and while I may be sure this is true (I am as a matter of fact) calling myself this seems to me to be the equivalent of calling myself a rational person. While I think I am a rational person, if someone asks me what I religion I am or what I believe, this is not what I would answer.

The label I would choose totally depends on context for me. If someone asks me what religion I am, I say "Unitarian Universalist" because that is true for me. If I felt Secular Humanist really identified me then I would say that. For a long time when asked that question I simply said, "none". If someone asks me whether I believe in God, then I would probably say I am agnostic because that would be the most accurate quick answer to that question. Different questions, different answers, so different labels KWIM?
Hmm, that's true. I think secular humanist came up as number 1 for me, so maybe for me it would be accurate, however I admit I've never even looked into it so I should probably do that before calling myself one I can see how free thinker may not really be a good thing to say. I just don't like athiest/agnostic, like a few others who posted here, and I am uncomfortable using the terms.
#38 of 66 Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_Mommy View Post
Just to be clear, Free Thought is a philosophy with a long history and not just a label. I do not think anyone should just go with labels to define their beliefs or lack there of.
#39 of 66 Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I dunno. Religious people may view themselves as free thinking. They aren't locked into anything, at least, the majority aren't. And I suppose someone who emphatically does not believe in the supernatural wouldn't see that as "free" but an undeniable fact. Not so much free thought.

I think secular humanist is better because it states what it is without having the connotations of "atheist" in the MSM and doesn't imply that others are somehow not "free." Free thinkers to me could include pantheist, or even religious grasshoppers. (You know, that person who has converted to several different religions in his life time.) To me that would also be a free thinker.

Bah. It's all semantics, really.
#40 of 66 Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
I dunno. Religious people may view themselves as free thinking. They aren't locked into anything, at least, the majority aren't. And I suppose someone who emphatically does not believe in the supernatural wouldn't see that as "free" but an undeniable fact. Not so much free thought.

If the majority of religious people in my life weren't threatening me with a certian eternity in hell, I would believe the openmindedness.

I do know many open minded believers, but the majority I know are not, they are black and white, you are with us or you are against us (and against us= burn in hell, and usually makes my kids not suitable playmates for their children).

We have most of the family (surprisingly all of them on my husband's side) that pray for us and think we have been aligned with the devil (we don't believe in a devil )

It breaks my heart. Life is short, I want our whole family to get close and pass on wonderful memories.
#41 of 66 Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Just to be clear, Free Thought is a philosophy with a long history and not just a label. I do not think anyone should just go with labels to define their beliefs or lack there of.
I did not realize that at the time I wrote my last post, but I did look it up afterward (the very link you give actually). I still stand by everything I said there, because the philosophy is about being rational and I still think it implies an "I'm rational and so if you disagree with me you're not" sort of attitude. However, you are absolutely correct to clarify that this refers to a particular philosophy. Thank you for the correction.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

#42 of 66 Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM

I was reading a bit about the difference between religious humanist and secular humanist. According to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Quote:
When humanists use the phrase secular humanism it is typically to emphasize differences relative to religion or religious humanism.

There are a number of ways in which secular and religious humanism can differ:[3]

* Religious humanists may value rituals and ceremonies as means of affirming their life stance. Secular humanists are typically not interested in using rituals and ceremonies.[4]
* Some religious humanists may seek profound "religious" experiences, such as those that others would associate with the presence of God, despite interpreting these experiences differently. Secular humanists would generally not pursue such experiences solely for their own sake.[citation needed]
* Some varieties of nontheistic religious humanism may conceive of the word divine as more than metaphoric even in the absence of a belief in a traditional God; they may believe in ideals that transcend physical reality; or they may conceive of some experiences as numinous or uniquely religious. Secular humanism regards all such terms as, at best, metaphors for truths rooted in the material world.
* Some varieties of religious humanism, such as Christian humanism include belief in God, traditionally defined. Secular humanists reject as irrational the idea of God and the supernatural and believe that these are not useful concepts for addressing human problems.
and

Quote:
While some humanists embrace calling themselves secular humanists, others prefer the term Humanist, capitalized and without any qualifying adjective. The terms secular humanism and Humanism overlap, but have different connotations. The term secular humanism emphasizes a non-religious focus, whereas the term Humanism deemphasizes this and may even encompass some nontheistic varieties of religious humanism. The term Humanism also emphasizes considering one's humanism to be a life stance.[citation needed]
Me, I am a humanist who enjoys going to my UU church and sees much to celebrate and hold in reverence in the natural world, without deifying it or ascribing magical powers to nature. So I think religious humanist or Humanist, for me, is closer to my true beliefs than secular humanist.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#43 of 66 Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM

heh, I did belief.net again. 100% secular humanist, 93% UU.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#44 of 66 Old 08-01-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
heh, I did belief.net again. 100% secular humanist, 93% UU.
I totally forgot about that quiz.

I am 100% secular humanist as well. 90% UU.
#45 of 66 Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 AM

Hmmm.... I took the quiz again and came out 100% Secular Humanist as well and 96% UU. I'm quite sure I came out 100% UU and something in the 90's Secular Humanist before. I wonder if my answers changed or they modified the scoring. Not that it really matters of course!

#46 of 66 Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpear View Post
And then there are apatheists, who just don't give a damn
#47 of 66 Old 08-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm ignostic and by default a strong/explicit atheist relative to classical theism. One can be an atheist relative to one idea and say, agnostic, relative to another.

Just like classical theists are "theists" relative to their Abrahamic religion of choice and "atheist" relative to all others. I just go one step further by adding the gods of classical theism to my list of gods I don't believe in.

I don't see that a First Cause is necessary at all and doesn't follow Occam's Razor and posits too many "cause" hypotheses. However, I remain agnostic to the idea of their being a First Cause entity, like the Deist "God" or Ahura Mazda. I can swallow these two and other abstract concepts more than the anthropomorphic and omnimax deities like Yahweh and Jesus.

While DH is an atheist, he's pretty darn apathetic.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#48 of 66 Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I scored a 100% for Secular Humanist.
93% UU.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#49 of 66 Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 AM

bump

#50 of 66 Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Okay, here goes...I'm an agnostic (secular humanist) who practices pre-Christian European/American traditions ( read too much Joseph Campbell), not as a literal belief, but as a symbolic connection that feeds the soul. DH considers himself a Liberal Quaker, or humanist depending on who he's talking to. And we're raising the kids UU, and introducing them to my folk traditions.
I like Socrates's concept of the chaos and "first cause" or the chinese cosmic egg. But I refuse to impose anything on my kids as absolute truth if it conflicts with observable phenomena, and these seem compatable with "big bang" so it works.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#51 of 66 Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 AM

neat thread.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
3. New Age (91%)
4. Liberal Quakers (89%)
5. Mahayana Buddhism (83%)

i think this is how i scored when i took this years ago. thanks to whoever posted because i'd completely forgotten about it. interesting to take it now and then to see how i "measure up".

and, with that, i'm off to join the pagan mamas tribe because, apparently, i'm long overdue!
#52 of 66 Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I'm agnostic, leaning towards Athiest. I believe that we are connected through energy somehow. That's my only real "belief." I believe that there is NOT a judgeing/all creating God. I live as though through our energetic connections, we can add negative and positive energy to the whole. I try to add positive energy.

If there's a name for this "religion" I don't know it. It's just how I feel based on my past experiences. Based on those experiences, I can only believe that there is "something" bigger than we are that connects us.

Lisa
If you're still reading this thread, check out Pantheism. Many believe you can be both an atheist and a pantheist, since pantheism isn't theistic.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#53 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
If you're still reading this thread, check out Pantheism. Many believe you can be both an atheist and a pantheist, since pantheism isn't theistic.
isn't pantheism, by definition, a belief in multiple gods?

#54 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
isn't pantheism, by definition, a belief in multiple gods?
No, that would be polytheism.

#55 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
No, that would be polytheism.
doh, of course. Dur.

In my defense, I just finished a beer and it is past my bedtime (waiting up for DH to get home from picking up a friend).

How do you see pantheism intersecting with humanism, if at all?

#56 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 01:13 AM

I really don't know, and don't have the brain cells (sleep deprivation rather than alcohol, unfortunately) to consider it. But, you can read a bit about scientific pantheism here:
http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm

Just like with every other belief and disbelief system, pantheists have different categories.

#57 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 01:17 AM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pantheism

Wouldn't the worship of all gods (as per definition 2) be polytheistic?
#58 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 AM

I recommend looking further than a secondary dictionary definition to understand pantheism. Pantheism isn't easily explained or understood in this society where the Christian concept of God (i.e. separate, supernatural being) is so ingrained. I actually misunderstood the concept of Pantheism for quite a long time as I searched for a word to describe my belief system. Pantheism didn't seem to fit, but that was only because of my own mental blocks caused by my experiences with and understandings of God religions.

Thankfully, there's a lot more info available now. You just have to read with an open mind, in order to understand more fully. You'll also need to understand that there's a spectrum of beliefs among Pantheists. (My disclaimer: I don't care if you become a pantheist. I'm not on a recruiting mission, if there is such a thing for pantheists. I'm just interested in figuring out my own spirituality.)

#59 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I recommend looking further than a secondary dictionary definition to understand pantheism. Pantheism isn't easily explained or understood in this society where the Christian concept of God (i.e. separate, supernatural being) is so ingrained. I actually misunderstood the concept of Pantheism for quite a long time as I searched for a word to describe my belief system. Pantheism didn't seem to fit, but that was only because of my own mental blocks caused by my experiences with and understandings of God religions.

Thankfully, there's a lot more info available now. You just have to read with an open mind, in order to understand more fully. You'll also need to understand that there's a spectrum of beliefs among Pantheists. (My disclaimer: I don't care if you become a pantheist. I'm not on a recruiting mission, if there is such a thing for pantheists. I'm just interested in figuring out my own spirituality.)
Right. After posting the definition, I briefly looked at the link you had posted. It sounds very interesting, and actually a lot like what DP and I have come to believe. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't be concerned about a recruiting mission anyway. I like to think for myself. I'll definitely be looking further into it!
#60 of 66 Old 09-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I really don't know, and don't have the brain cells (sleep deprivation rather than alcohol, unfortunately) to consider it. But, you can read a bit about scientific pantheism here:
http://www.pantheism.net/paul/index.htm

Just like with every other belief and disbelief system, pantheists have different categories.
Wow, I think I'm a pantheist, and I want to identify that way and not as atheist or agnostic. It is way more in line with what I believe. Do I have to say "scientific pantheist" though? Or just "pantheist"?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page