i have questions: lds garment & bf'ing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there a nursing garment? or would you not wear one while breastfeeding, because you wouldn't want to get milk and/or spit up (or baby snot or all the other gross things they rub onto us) on it? i was wondering about breastfeeding in public (or even semi-public, like a friend's home) without showing the garment and then reazlied that maybe there is either a special one for breastfeeding or you wouldn't wear it . . . or just wouldn't breastfeed in front of people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend wears her garments while nursing. and she nurses discreetly in front of people. but because she is discreet i don't know if she has a special nursing one or how she manages exactly.

hopefully an LDS mama will chime in.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 02:03 AM

There are nursing garments. They basically have an elasticized slit in each cup. Some people really love them; others find them incredibly annoying. The other options are to pull the garment down below the breast (I do this) or to nurse from under the bottom.

The ick/goo isn't a factor - think of all the goo that gets in women's underwear.

I would assume that most LDS mothers try to be pretty discreet while nursing. However, if anyone was to see anything, it would just look like a white undershirt/camisole. Just like in any other group, there are LDS people who throw huge fits about LDS moms nursing in public. My fellow LDS MDC mamas and I do all we can to fight this, including nursing in church and going up the chain of leadership if our local leaders make it a problem
#4 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 AM

My question is what do you do in summer? Another layer? I sweat so much that I change bras and underwear a few times a day already (especially while pregnant!).

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 AM

Nope, no extra layers for me. I wear the garment, a bra, and a shirt. I suppose it might be cooler with just a tank top on or something, but it's never bothered me much.

What is really bothering me is not having a bra to jog in! I am a 30F(+/-) and am in the arduous process of ordering a bra online, sending it back, repeat. So to jog, I wear garment, regular bra, cheap shirt, DUCT TAPE, regular shirt. The duct tape makes a huge difference. I put it over a cheap shirt because I don't want to ruin my regular bra. Now that layering scheme is annoying.
#6 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

oh, interesting. my lds-mama-friend that i'm closer with said she would not, for example, exercise in her garments because she wouldn't want to get them all sweaty, because they're too special. she also wears foxy bras under her garments, so i thought there were undies involved too . . . lol, i appreciate your candor.

ftr, i usually wear a tank top under my shirt so that when i nurse, i pull my shirt up and the tank down, like you described. there is minimal exposure and people generally haven't even realized i was nursing. i just thought other people weren't supposed to see the garment, so that's why i thought it would be kind of a big deal to pull your shirt up, you know? not because you wouldn't want anyone to know you were wearing it, just because it's private. in an old thread about bf'ing in church, i thought i remembered reading that lds mamas do it all the time, but i didn't know if that would be different around the general public. all very interesting, thanks!
#7 of 21 Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
oh, interesting. my lds-mama-friend that i'm closer with said she would not, for example, exercise in her garments because she wouldn't want to get them all sweaty, because they're too special. she also wears foxy bras under her garments, so i thought there were undies involved too . . . lol, i appreciate your candor.
That is very interesting! I always have to remind myself that there is no explicit policy on garments, and that I should not judge the way others wear them. You are given your garments when you attend the temple for the first time. The temple matron (the temple president's wife) is typically the one to instruct the woman how/when to wear them. Since there is no explicit policy (with instructions spelled out word for word), each matron does it differently! Some tell ladies to wear the garments for exercising, some say not to. Some say to wear a bra under, some say to wear it over! Mine told me to wear them as often as possible, which would include exercising. So when I see a woman taking them off for exercise, I wonder what she's thinking and if she's just using it as an opportunity to dress immodestly. But then I remember that everyone has been told differently. There is a general policy that I personally believe supports wearing them for exercise, but I don't have the wording of it -- I heard it verbally a few months ago. Also, your friend has apparently never been to Houston or somewhere really humid You get drenched in sweat the second you exit an air-conditioned building, so avoiding sweat would really not be possible!
#8 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM

I've BF all 7 children in the Texas heat, and wore G's. I guess because I am used to it and don't make a big deal out of nothing? My mom nursed/wore G's with all 8 of her children in the Hawaii & Alabama heat, and back then there were only 1 piece G's! Be thankful with what you have, and everyone (not this post... but all mommas in general) needs to quit bellyaching about nursing & G's. :
#9 of 21 Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 PM

I do the same as Katie and pull down my garments to nurse. I also can't stand nursing bras and always wear regular bras. I do wear another undershirt if I am going to NIP because I don't like showing my garments or the flesh where they would normally lay.

As for garments and heat- I live in the desert of Southern California and this is my first summer wearing garments. I find that if I wear them looser and certain materials rather than others it's not that bad at all. But if I wear the unbreathable materials I am dieing!

I also don't wear them while exercising. I have the same thoughts about that as I do about wearing your garments while swimming.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#10 of 21 Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 AM

I wear nursing garments. I actually really like them and (as of yesterday, my DD's 4th birthday) I've been wearing them for 4 years straight now, through my pregnancy and everything. I find them quite comfortable and easy to use. I really don't find it too hot to wear them, but we rarely have days over 90 degrees here. Maybe about 2-4 weeks over 90 a year. But we don't have AC.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#11 of 21 Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM

I do not wear nursing G's. They are super annoying to me. I pull mine down to nurse. While I do try to nurse as modestly as possible I don't worry about anyone catching a glimpse of them because it would look like a white undershirt. Also it is the markings on them that are sacred and there is no way that they would show while nursing.

Christina, mama to A 10/05, E 09/07 and S 01/11; Spending my time as a wife, mama, teacher and student. Loving every minute of it! Life is so good!   joy.gif
#12 of 21 Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Some say to wear a bra under, some say to wear it over!
Seriously??? I thought you had to wear a bra over them...you've blown my mind.
#13 of 21 Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM

my sister-in-law (the one i'm closest with) is LDS and has a little boy who is 8 months old and wears special nursing garments. She says they're way more comfortable. As for when you don't have to wear garments, my SIL was telling me she was taught about the "five S's" I think it was showering, swimming, sex, sports and the last one i can't remember...

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#14 of 21 Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post

all the lds people i've known wear their bras over the garments.

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
#15 of 21 Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
Me too and I'm LDS.
I didn't even know women wore them under until a little bit ago and I was way blown away by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylea_moon View Post
my SIL was telling me she was taught about the "five S's" I think it was showering, swimming, sex, sports and the last one i can't remember...
Oh that's cool! Is the 5th sunbathing?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#16 of 21 Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Me too and I'm LDS.
Me too.
#17 of 21 Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM

I know there isn't a written out rule, but for me personally, wearing a bra over seems like the right thing to do. We wear the garments as a symbol and a reminder of the things we are taught in the temple and also as a sort of protection and I feel like the garment should be the layer closest to the body. I also think that nursing should be done in whatever way is most comfortable for the individual as long as we take care to make sure that the garments are exposed as little as possible.

ETA: I think we also need to be careful about taking advice about garments from other people. What I said above is kind of just personal opinion; no one ever told me those things. If you have questions, ask your bishop or stake president
#18 of 21 Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Arden View Post
ETA: I think we also need to be careful about taking advice about garments from other people. What I said above is kind of just personal opinion; no one ever told me those things. If you have questions, ask your bishop or stake president
I was thinking I'd see if the Temple Matron had time to talk to me next time DH and I go to Cardston. I think I'd feel weird wearing a bra under...but being pregnant and them getting so much bigger and thinking about nursing it seems like it might be easier to get comfortable support that way. I just dunno.
#19 of 21 Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 PM

For all you LDS mamas who pull the garment down to nurse, how does that work w/ the bra over it? Do you use a nursing bra? If so, is it difficult to get everything back in place (garment back up under bra), and do things get bunched up? If you don't use a nursing bra, what do you do/wear and how does it work?

I am a G-(over-bra) wearing mama-to-be and have been trying to figure out how the logistics of this will work.

And, do you really not worry about the garment showing at your belly when you pull your shirt up?

Thanks for helping me understand better how this will all work. (My mom BF'd but is not LDS and my MIL is LDS but did not BF, so no help there...)
#20 of 21 Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klg47 View Post
Nope, no extra layers for me. I wear the garment, a bra, and a shirt. I suppose it might be cooler with just a tank top on or something, but it's never bothered me much.

What is really bothering me is not having a bra to jog in! I am a 30F(+/-) and am in the arduous process of ordering a bra online, sending it back, repeat. So to jog, I wear garment, regular bra, cheap shirt, DUCT TAPE, regular shirt. The duct tape makes a huge difference. I put it over a cheap shirt because I don't want to ruin my regular bra. Now that layering scheme is annoying.
This is OT, but besides PMing I thought I'd put it out there for any other big busted gals who would like to exercise without knocking themselves out from boob-bounce.

You MUST get a Enell sports bra. http://www.enell.com/index.html They ARE expensive. But it is the last sports bra you will EVER need to buy (Until of course you wear the fabric out) No matter how large your breasts you. will. not. bounce. Amazing, I know. I was sceptical, and it took a lot for me to fork out the money, because I am cheap. But, no bounce, no layering and even though it is like iron as far as bounce, it is SUPER comfy.

End commercial

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#21 of 21 Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norabella View Post
For all you LDS mamas who pull the garment down to nurse, how does that work w/ the bra over it? Do you use a nursing bra? If so, is it difficult to get everything back in place (garment back up under bra), and do things get bunched up? If you don't use a nursing bra, what do you do/wear and how does it work?

I am a G-(over-bra) wearing mama-to-be and have been trying to figure out how the logistics of this will work.

And, do you really not worry about the garment showing at your belly when you pull your shirt up?

Thanks for helping me understand better how this will all work. (My mom BF'd but is not LDS and my MIL is LDS but did not BF, so no help there...)
I can't imagine wearing a bra next to my skin any more. I guess I did it for 8-9 years, but now it sounds so uncomfortable!

I either wear a nursing bra or a bra that can move a little. Usually this means a molded cup bra, and I suppose the straps are probably a little looser than they should be. I just shove the cup down and the breast up. I mentioned my bra woes earlier -- I wear a 30 band size. So every bra available in brick-and-mortar stores is too big for me. This may be one reason it is so easy for me to get everything out When I'm done nursing, I just pull the garment neckline up and then pull the bra cup up. Since I wear elastic-neck garments and molded-cup bras, there's nothing to bunch up.

I don't show my stomach area when I pull my shirt up to nurse, as far as I'm aware. Maybe one of my local LDS mama friends can correct me if I'm wrong I guess this is one of the benefits of having breasts so saggy that they reach nearly to my waist

~~

As for the sports bra, I am trying the Enell next. I ran out of duct tape, so I just ran in my regular underwire nursing bra. It hurt for about 10 steps and then it was fine. I felt quite self-conscious though.

User Tag List