Jesus from the Line of David? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
As a Jewish, former Baltimorean, I didn't read HennyPenny's comment as saying Baltimore as a city was primarily Jewish. Come on, I think we all know that no major city in the US is primarily Jewish. Who would claim that?

When she said "In Baltimore (nearby my old home) it was primarily Jewish" I just thought, "Ah, you must have lived near Reisterstown Rd. Which does indeed have a large Jewish community. Man, I miss that deli - what was it called again? - with its potato knishes..." That's all.
thanks. yes that is what I meant. I didn't live IN baltimore, but we were there a lot as it was very nearby by my home where a large Jewish community was. and thank you for clarifying - that is exactly what I was saying.

Merpk - Defensive? no. Tired of being misrepresented, misquoted and having it implied I mean something that clearly I do not? yes.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#182 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Really, calm down. I'm not attacking anyone. You'll just have to trust me on that one.
oh my. that one is just too funny to comment on! seriously. you kill me! what a riot!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#183 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Well, I live in Houston, Texas. For such a big place, when it comes to religion, it just seems really small town Texas.

And beyond the phone book thing, the other day there was this guy pulled up next to us at a stop light and hollars into our rolled-down window from his:

Him: are you guys Jews?
Us: um, yes....
Him: wow, I haven't seen Jews since I was in NYC. I was the Shabbos goy. Wow, Jews.

Very very weird.
In Houston? With those big synagogues? Where was he hiding himself?
#184 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM

No need to get the thread pulled. Henny, you weren't clear-- the way you said it, it did indeed sound like you were saying that Baltimore is primarily Jewish. I knew what you meant, but you could have been clearer. Merpk, everything you say is going to be viewed as a potential attack because you've already ticked her off.. and she's not the first one, nor will she be the last.

Can we all sit down for circle time again like friends?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#185 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Hey, I'm calm.

And since I'm also seriously perimenopausal *and* PMS'ing, and my DH lost his job today, that's pretty darned impressive.

#186 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Hey, I'm calm.

And since I'm also seriously perimenopausal *and* PMS'ing, and my DH lost his job today, that's pretty darned impressive.

seriously,

I'm not ticked. I'm just tired of having almost every comment write miscontrued by you. it isn't generally misconstrued by anyone else. and if it is they ask me about it. obviously things will come across weird sometimes online. there will be misunderstandings as the nature of the internet is it's hard to express yourself perfectly. but my posting here is never to be offensive or ignorant on purpose. if i misspeak, or misunderstand it's sincere and never with intent to be hurtful or irritating.

I'm very sorry about your husband's job. my prayers for you! what a difficult thing to deal with. we're struggling financially a lot right now ourselves so I know how hard it can be.

that said, it seems this thread (and I take partial blame for it too!!) is taking a turn very very very far from the original post with little hope of returning. and becoming a "he said/she said" kinda thing. just knit-picking one another. so I'm going to just leave this thread be. I think it's run it's course. I'll still be around the religious studies/spirituality forums though so Merpk, I'm sure we'll have a chance to but heads over and over again

-Laura

#187 of 188 Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM

zinemama i lived in pikesville.... it has a large jewish community indeed!
#188 of 188 Old 12-03-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
In Houston? With those big synagogues? Where was he hiding himself?
I think unless you live in a certain part of Houston, you never see those synagogues.

Same city that has non-profits listing those synagogues under churches.

Same city where people have said to me, what is a Jew? They had never met a Jew before.

Same city where very religious C'ians did not know enough about Judaism to understand why 1) I couldn't meet them on Saturday and 2) I couldn't get a burrito from Freebirds.

Really, if you're a Jew here, it can be a little bizarre. Cuz you think, it's a big city....but then it's kind of not either.

H'P you asked about Koheins and if they were an intermediary. If you know WHAT they do, then you know, well, not really. I didn't realize at all that your question was why.

Why? Cuz um G-d told them to? I really don't know how to answer that question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page