Covering Women-Christian, Jewish, Muslims - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I am a Christian and I have been on the fence about covering my head for several years. I had studied it as a teen, set it aside as something I couldn't understand. Then I married a man who came from a conservative Christian family and the women in his family covered all the time. He did not ask me to cover but we studied it together and decided that if we went to a church that covered for worship then I would. (I know, I know)

We haven't gone to such a church but last Sunday our pastor was reading 1 Cor. 11 (he's going through the whole book) and basically said that he believes women should cover at least for worship. I really feel convicted now, that I should cover for church but no one else in our church does and I'm not sure if they will start now.

I guess I just want some more opinions. Why do you cover? All the time or just for worship or rituals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 PM

I've known women who cover for every reason from purely for the sake of god's pleasure to it just sort of being how things are done to it being fashionable. For myself I can't say that I have any particularly pure motives, either earthly or spiritual. I'm a muddle. If I had to name one above others, though, I would probably have to say that I believe a part of god's law has to do with proprieties before himself and gendered proprieties before one another. Which I suppose comes down to "it's written, so I take it literally."
#3 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM

I cover because of that Biblical passage. I have seen all the arguments trying to refute it, but never any that hold water, so I cover.
#4 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM

How about covering pagans? I'm only half joking... My beliefs are mostly Muslim but I self-identify as a pagan because I celebrate the Wheel of the Year and focus on nature a lot in my spiritual life. But uh... almost all of my actual beliefs are Muslim (or at least Muslim-inspired, I'm definitely not an expert of the ins and outs of that particular religion). I would like to cover, because I feel it is right. I can't really justify it, but I feel I should. However, my husband is very much against it. I also believe (to an extent) on wifely submission so I don't make an issue out of it. However, if we were ever to separate, I think I would start covering.
#5 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why not start with a small headcovering for worship, such as a wide headband?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#6 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM

I am extremely drawn to head covering but being agnostic, I don't follow any particular religious practices. The few times I have brought up the topic with DH he didn't understand why I would want to do it, and so he would rather I didn't. I have been considering starting small, and seeing at what point it started bothering him. I don't really need other people to recognize what I am doing, it would be enough for me in my morning routine to put on my cover and in my evening routine take it off, so I think wide head bands or small kerchiefs might be making an appearance in my wardrobe.

I think the thing for me, is that my hair is not that big of a deal to DH. Like for some men, to have their wife's hair be down and uncovered would be something special for them to share, and honestly my DH couldn't care less.
#7 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM

I concur with Ruth.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#8 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I've known women who cover for every reason from purely for the sake of god's pleasure to it just sort of being how things are done to it being fashionable. For myself I can't say that I have any particularly pure motives, either earthly or spiritual. I'm a muddle. If I had to name one above others, though, I would probably have to say that I believe a part of god's law has to do with proprieties before himself and gendered proprieties before one another. Which I suppose comes down to "it's written, so I take it literally."
This is pretty much where I am.

Incidentally, when I was looking for coverings online I think I am drawn more to the Jewish tichel than traditional Christian coverings. I guess they seem more feminine and beautiful than the ones worn by most of the women I know.
#9 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Jewish women who cover their head/hair do so after marriage. Some do so only for worship; but those who consider themselves Torah observant (Orthodox) are more likely to do it all the time. How also varies -- some use a tichel, some use a hat, some use a wig, and some change up from day to day depending on mood and circumstances.

Why do we do it? The halacha (Jewish way of living/law) requires it for married woman and the reasons are somewhat esoteric and complex. But basically, it delineates a line between what is public and what is private. Once a woman marries and enters an intimate relationship, her hair takes on the status of something private. A married woman therefore covers it, just as she also (and even before marriage) dresses modestly in order to make clear the boundary between what should be visible to others, and what should not.

Also, covering the hair/head is common in Judaism as an element of demonstrating awareness of Heaven above (that one is always below G-d in Heaven) -- observant men and boys also always, from a young age, wear a headcovering (yarmulke/kippah) whether indoors or out. For Jews, removing your hat (as in the classic sign of respect) is NOT a sign of respect but just the opposite.

Did that make any sense?

Anyway if I am not teaching/attending synagogue/going somewhere dressy I wear a tichel; otherwise I wear a wig (which covers all my own hair). At this point I would feel completely naked if I went outside without something on my hair; even in my house I usually do not walk around uncovered unless it is just before showering or going to sleep.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#10 of 31 Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM

I think Nickarolaberry said it well for me (thanks!). I'm Jewish and I cover pretty much all the time (minus showers and only rarely do I cover at night). I can no longer imagine not covering. It's like having a crown on your head (pardon how cheesy that might sound to some).
#11 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Leah View Post
This is pretty much where I am.

Incidentally, when I was looking for coverings online I think I am drawn more to the Jewish tichel than traditional Christian coverings. I guess they seem more feminine and beautiful than the ones worn by most of the women I know.

me too. I don't wear a traditional "christian covering". but really it's b/c of functionality. I find it not only unattractive on me, but i can only wear my hair on one way- in a bun which gives me migraines plus I dont feel they cover well. so I'm probably the only one at my mennonite church that wears a snood or scarf. I always wonder if they think I do it' b/c I'm new to anabaptism or something - you know, like I don't know better or something lol. truth is coming to as an outsider i've probably given it more thought than a lot of them have. (that's an assumption of course!)

i find them much more feminine looking anyhow. but that's just personal taste.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#12 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
me too. I don't wear a traditional "christian covering". but really it's b/c of functionality. I find it not only unattractive on me, but i can only wear my hair on one way- in a bun which gives me migraines plus I dont feel they cover well. so I'm probably the only one at my mennonite church that wears a snood or scarf. I always wonder if they think I do it' b/c I'm new to anabaptism or something - you know, like I don't know better or something lol. truth is coming to as an outsider i've probably given it more thought than a lot of them have. (that's an assumption of course!)

i find them much more feminine looking anyhow. but that's just personal taste.
When I first met my husband I had very long hair and I wore it down or braided most of the time. His sisters were always encouraging me to put it up in a bun saying it would "look nice" that way. I tried but my hair was so thick it was nearly impossible and it always made my head hurt. Once when his oldest sister was visiting she was playing with my hair and decided to put it up...she could barely do it either. She was amazed that it took about 20 pins to get it to stay up. They never really bothered me about it after that, lol.

And I know what you mean about giving it more thought than most. A lot of (or at least some) Anabaptist cover out of tradition and habit. My husband, being a man, had never really thought about it at all.
#13 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Leah View Post
And I know what you mean about giving it more thought than most. A lot of (or at least some) Anabaptist cover out of tradition and habit. My husband, being a man, had never really thought about it at all.
yes I think this is a common problem. though I noticed lately it seems a lo more people giving it thought. I think those things are cyclical. you know? like it's given thought every few years and then kinda put on the back burner and accepted.

I didn't grow up Mennonite/Amish/Pa Dutch/German so i have no desire to dress as if i have.or try and look the part. it feels like a custom when I where it. it looks normal on them. I think it's just a matter of preference and ideals.

by default I am almost always mistaken for jewish. I have dark Olivey skin and other "jewish" features lol. I look anything but german/dutch. It seems when i try to look like "me" it comes off as jewish. oh well. heh. when I get wished Happy Chanukah I just say "thanks! Christmas though actually" (jewish clothing is so much more feminine looking to me anyhow)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#14 of 31 Old 10-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
I would feel completely naked if I went outside without something on my hair; even in my house I usually do not walk around uncovered unless it is just before showering or going to sleep.

I don't wear things around the home b/c like I said I get headaches from the weight. plus my husband likes seeing my hair. I don't even wear pony tails or anything. but if I went out of the house with out a covering I'd feel just as naked as not wearing clothes. it feels SO weird. I had to run out the curb to grab my daughter whose bike drifited into the street and I didn't have time to throw on my covering yet (just waking up) and I felt like I was running out in my under pants lol

#15 of 31 Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 AM

You know, I was just reading an op-ed regarding the role and history of women in my faith, most of which is irrelevant here, but the writer, speaking of coverings, did conclude, "Yet even all that gorgeous history pales when I open my closet door for the evening's pick: teal georgette, pink-and-beige plaid, creamy fringed wool or ice-blue organza? God, why would anyone assume I would want to give up such beauty?" And the sentiment was just so familiar that I wanted to come back to this thread to add that: for as much as I may say "because it is written," I can not discount it also being in part because coverings in many of their myriad forms are really, really beautiful. And I take pleasure in beauty.
#16 of 31 Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 AM

I am a muslim woman and I cover my head (outside, not inside the home) because I believe God said so in our holy book (the Quran). It is also something the companions of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to do and something that Mary, Mother of Jesus used to do. These women are my role models so why not strive to be like them!
#17 of 31 Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm Jewish as well, and while covering isn't widely accepted (don't ask ) in my branch of Judaism (Reform/Liberal/Progressive), it's a mitzvah I've felt really drawn to. I'm trying to phase it into my life, so I've started with wide headbands and bandanas, and have slowly been working things into my repertoire. Right now I'm wearing this.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#18 of 31 Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would it be appropriate to ask: Anyone who started covering later in life - especially when it is not common in your community -- how the transition went for you and what experiences you had?

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#19 of 31 Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 AM

I started covering a yr and a half ago almost. I don't know anyone else in my circle of friends or at my then church that covered. it wasn't really an "easy" transition - and it still isn't when I meet friends from my past who I've not seen in a while. I'm used to me, but to them it's freaky I think.

that said it really made me confront my fear of man. my fear of being judged and it made me have to look for deeper meaning.

"what experiences I had"... well several I guess. I can't sum it all up. some friends dre closer, but most put distance between us. it was healthy though, as change has to start somewhere. nobdy has out right said "you are crazy" or anything but my brother thinks it for sure. this is hard on me as he is "agnostic" and feel anythign to do with my religion and beliefs is stupid. so it puts quite a space between us. infact it was the hardest (and still is) b/c I've felt i've had to make a choice between my brother and my convictions. I care deeply for my brother and he was SO hurt by people in our childhood claiming to be the religion I am now. (I say "claming" as they proudly took on the name, but rarely took on the calling and commitments) I was deeply hurt by them as well, but i have come full circle to realize that my beliefs aren't set in what people's interpretations are. but in who God is, and who He reveals himself to be through his word, and daily life etc. in the end i chose to cover, knowing full well it was creep out my brother. I still feel torn. but what kind of sister would I be to put him before my convictions? I think this is bad priorities. and I KNOW he would never return the favor!

my old church was kinda... weirded out. but it was ok. I do think it made people have to actually think about things in another way and examine. and SO many peope said "I didn't know it says anything about headcovering in the Bible! I remember my grandmother used ot do that. why did people stop anyhow" and soon they were down memory lane reflecting. that's always a healthy thing I believe.

#20 of 31 Old 10-16-2008, 11:43 AM

I'm still transitioning. I call it "transitioning" because I don't ALWAYS cover. : Reform Judiasm is a branch of Liberal/Progressive Judaism, but that means it has the same prejudices as modern feminism. There's a lot of thought that covering is anti-feminist or a step backwards. In the shul, while on-duty (I'm the Cantorial Soloist, so I'm a congregational leader), I usually cover with a bukhara kippah - traditionally men's headcovering, but much more acceptable than a tichel for some reason.

Otherwise, everyone knows me as the hippie. I'm a fan of bandanas and scarves, and I think since I'm still transitioning, not many people have noticed. I do get a lot of "You're not going Orthodox on us, are you?" Whatever.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#21 of 31 Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I'm still transitioning. I call it "transitioning" because I don't ALWAYS cover. : Reform Judiasm is a branch of Liberal/Progressive Judaism, but that means it has the same prejudices as modern feminism. There's a lot of thought that covering is anti-feminist or a step backwards. In the shul, while on-duty (I'm the Cantorial Soloist, so I'm a congregational leader), I usually cover with a bukhara kippah - traditionally men's headcovering, but much more acceptable than a tichel for some reason.

Otherwise, everyone knows me as the hippie. I'm a fan of bandanas and scarves, and I think since I'm still transitioning, not many people have noticed. I do get a lot of "You're not going Orthodox on us, are you?" Whatever.

smeis, I spent a week-plus at the Eylat Chayyim Retreat Center about 12 years ago, our meditation teacher was giving a seminar there, so we went. It was a wonderful experience, but the point is that we were just two of maybe six Orthodox people there, and three of those six were teachers/seminar leaders (whatever you'd call them) ... anyway, out of the several hundred people there that week, I was the only one with a tikhel. There were many women who wore kippot/yarmulkes, though.

I can't begin to tell you the attention my tikhels got. During one session several women just ganged up on me (literally), why I would oppress myself in such a way as to cover my hair. Why, I finally responded (tired of trying to be polite), do you wear a kippa? They each responded some variation of, to feel Jewish identity, to feel closer to G!d, okay. So why was my reason less valid than theirs?

And why was wearing a men's haircovering more valid to them/more 'religiously authentic' to them than wearing something traditionally worn by women?

It was very distressing.

Okay, sorry, just had to get that out. I feel better now.
#22 of 31 Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
smeis, I spent a week-plus at the Eylat Chayyim Retreat Center about 12 years ago, our meditation teacher was giving a seminar there, so we went. It was a wonderful experience, but the point is that we were just two of maybe six Orthodox people there, and three of those six were teachers/seminar leaders (whatever you'd call them) ... anyway, out of the several hundred people there that week, I was the only one with a tikhel. There were many women who wore kippot/yarmulkes, though.

I can't begin to tell you the attention my tikhels got. During one session several women just ganged up on me (literally), why I would oppress myself in such a way as to cover my hair. Why, I finally responded (tired of trying to be polite), do you wear a kippa? They each responded some variation of, to feel Jewish identity, to feel closer to G!d, okay. So why was my reason less valid than theirs?

And why was wearing a men's haircovering more valid to them/more 'religiously authentic' to them than wearing something traditionally worn by women?

It was very distressing.

I know. Exactly. I always say that thanks to feminism, I have the choice - and this is my choice. Agree or disagree. Usually people don't get it. My age doesn't help - I get a lot of "well, when you're older..." or even worse, the same people turn to my DH and say "how can you let her do that??"

My quiet, meek DH then gives them a piece of his mind.

#23 of 31 Old 10-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:

It was very distressing.

That seems so ODD to me. I mean, I know that I am just a baby convert and all, and I don't men to say Kippot are ugly. But Tichels are just GORGEOUS!! I used to wear them in High School just to get my hair up and because I thought they were lovely and looked kinda punk and anti-establishment and cool. ( <---- eyeroll directed at my 16 year old self)

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#24 of 31 Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessymama View Post
I am a muslim woman and I cover my head (outside, not inside the home) because I believe God said so in our holy book (the Quran). It is also something the companions of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to do and something that Mary, Mother of Jesus used to do. These women are my role models so why not strive to be like them!
Dido

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#25 of 31 Old 10-18-2008, 11:59 PM

I don't know why I am drawn to head covering now but I am. I actually bought one to wear when I pray at home. I feel like it makes me more called to prayer or something or more serious about praying when I ware it. I suppose like a uniform or something. I have two children now and I guess it is hard to find time for prayer and it is like it is a physical way to show " Now I am praying". Does anyone know what I mean ? I am an Orthodox Christian and very few people cover at church. I worry if I just started doing it that people would gossip. I have noticed I dress more modestly at church now since I have little kids and ware my hair back also. I just want to set a good example I guess. I never thought about any of this until I had babies who are now preschoolers and toddlers. I want them to be seroius about life in the Church and see that I take it seriously.
Anyone feel the same ?
#26 of 31 Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cover for Mass, but part of me is wanting to cover more often. I have been looking at snoods, cause I think they are chic.
DH, on the other hand, finds my devoutness "backward" and "trying". So it's a long road I have ahead of me.
At least he's taken ok to me wearing skirts/dresses 95% of the time.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#27 of 31 Old 10-19-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
I don't know why I am drawn to head covering now but I am. I actually bought one to wear when I pray at home. I feel like it makes me more called to prayer or something or more serious about praying when I ware it. I suppose like a uniform or something. I have two children now and I guess it is hard to find time for prayer and it is like it is a physical way to show " Now I am praying". Does anyone know what I mean ? I am an Orthodox Christian and very few people cover at church. I worry if I just started doing it that people would gossip. I have noticed I dress more modestly at church now since I have little kids and ware my hair back also. I just want to set a good example I guess. I never thought about any of this until I had babies who are now preschoolers and toddlers. I want them to be seroius about life in the Church and see that I take it seriously.
Anyone feel the same ?
Having little ones seems to make these things all the more important and urgent.
I went from an Orthodox parish where all the women covered in church, to another where almost none do. I continue to cover for church services, but it is difficult to feel like I stand out, or worry that people might be offended.
#28 of 31 Old 10-19-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Would it be appropriate to ask: Anyone who started covering later in life - especially when it is not common in your community -- how the transition went for you and what experiences you had?
Honestly, it's been going pretty well. (I just started covering about a month or two ago.) No one I know has said anything about it, and no one I don't know has said anything about it either. Covering is not very common in my community, either. I dunno.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#29 of 31 Old 10-19-2008, 03:48 AM

I like the idea, but as a pp said, my DH thinks it's cheesy and doesn't want me to do it, and I feel like one of the main points is wifely submission...so for me to cover would totally go against submitting....so yeah, I don't cover.
I do wear bandanas on my head from time to time--just for the practicality of keeping hair out of my face when I'm working etc. I also wear my hair long (he DOES like that )
I love the idea of a lace kerchief for worship, but it's not happening in the near future (as per DH).

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#30 of 31 Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
especially in light of the Torah passage about women and men not wearing each other's clothing!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page