Christians: Thoughts on God and Our Fertility - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My thinking is similar to one of the above posters, like Nichole,

I'm a Christian (liberal Protestant variety) and I believe that g-d gave us knowledge and reason to help ourselves and others. Many of us live in circumstances where contraception is safe and available and we can use it to limit our families if we choose to do so. That's a great blessing, because many women are not prepared physically, emotionally, or financially to have lots of pregnancies and children.

For women who feel called by g-d to "open the door" to however many children may come and are physically, emotionally, and financially able to cope with who comes: great.

Think & pray for discernment on the matter.
#32 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM

I can give absolutely no theological advice here, whatsoever, I can only say that, assuming I was in good health, if I was in your situation (i.e., married, with a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old and 44 years of age), I would just roll with it.

There are lots of reasons I would feel this way, but one that comes to mind is this: you are probably already perimenopausal. You have maybe 6 years before full on menopause. Why mess with yours (or your DH's) bodies for such a short window of babymaking? It doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially if you are open to the idea of another little one. (I'm talking HBC, IUD, surgery... you know...)

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#33 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
I can give absolutely no theological advice here, whatsoever, I can only say that, assuming I was in good health, if I was in your situation (i.e., married, with a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old and 44 years of age), I would just roll with it.

There are lots of reasons I would feel this way, but one that comes to mind is this: you are probably already perimenopausal. You have maybe 6 years before full on menopause. Why mess with yours (or your DH's) bodies for such a short window of babymaking? It doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially if you are open to the idea of another little one. (I'm talking HBC, IUD, surgery... you know...)
That makes sense. Thanks!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#34 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Honestly, if I were in your same situation I would not use BC and I would lay it all under the cross.

I know it is difficult.

: for you.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#35 of 37 Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post

And yet, the Catholic Church promotes Natural Family Planning, and doesn't see it as contraception (against the beginning), because you're not having sex and doing something to prevent conception, you're simply abstaining from sex during the times you believe you're fertile.

So, is NFP birth control but not contraception? Or do the words "birth-control" and "contraception" mean one and the same thing?
Just to clarify.....the Catholic church DOES NOT promote the use of NFP.

They have ok'ed its use in only certain situations after prayerfully being concidered by wife and husband.

There is a huge amount of debate about NFPings use in marriage as many think it is being used for selfish reasons and not for dire ones.

But promote is not really the right word as many Catholic leaders would prefer nothing be used at all.

(PS I am tired and not able to word what I am trying to say exactly. )

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#36 of 37 Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Honestly, if I were in your same situation I would not use BC and I would lay it all under the cross.

I know it is difficult.

: for you.
Thanks!

#37 of 37 Old 01-17-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Just to clarify.....the Catholic church DOES NOT promote the use of NFP.

They have ok'ed its use in only certain situations after prayerfully being concidered by wife and husband.

There is a huge amount of debate about NFPings use in marriage as many think it is being used for selfish reasons and not for dire ones.

But promote is not really the right word as many Catholic leaders would prefer nothing be used at all.

(PS I am tired and not able to word what I am trying to say exactly. )
Thanks for clarifying!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page