Why take bread & not wine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I'm Greek Orthodox & Dh is Catholic. We attend each others services every other week (Catholic, then Orthodox, etc).

Dh was told by my priest that during our mass, dh could partake of the body but not the blood (wine). Something about the blessing being different between the two. When I go to dh's church, I take the wafer but do not drink the wine.
I can't speak for the Orthodox Church, but in the RC church each species is considered to FULLY contain the Body AND the Blood of Jesus Christ. So there's really no reason you could not receive both in a RC church.

Also, it's worth noting that we don't refer to consecrated Eucharist as "the wafer and the wine". It should be referred to as The Body of Christ and The Precious Blood of Christ.


Quote:
As for not drinking the wine, I was told not to partake if I was bleeding anywhere, but especially during that time of the month. Apparently it's bad to imbibe the blood of Christ just to bleed it out. Maybe the Catholic Church is similar in this?
I have never heard of that being an issue in the RC church - you're far more likely to pee it out anyway, which you do every day. Besides, we don't consider that we actually digest Eucharist - instead, we believe that as soon as it is consumed Jesus becomes a part of us, that He is within us.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
 
chio88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Allergic to alcohol maybe?
chio88 is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 PM
 
graceomalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The preservative (202, I think) in wine does a number on my allergies (it doesn't matter if it's Catholic communion or Anglican communion, my allergies react the same way for either) so I opt for grape juice. As we go up there's a tray with little cups of grape juice or wine, but you can bypass those and go straight for the 'communal' cup.
graceomalley is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 AM
 
Sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post

It's actually called a Purificator, and has some spiritual significance.
What is the significance?

I'm just curious as I had never heard of this. But, then, I was raised in a European RC family, which seems to have a few differences in mass and traditions than where I am now.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Sailor is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Purificators are customarily brought to the altar with chalices and are used to wipe the Precious Blood from the lip of the chalice [13] and to purify sacred vessels. [14] They should be white in color. Whenever the Precious Blood is distributed from the chalice, poured into ancillary vessels or even accidentally spilled, [15] purificators should be used to absorb the spill. The material of purificators should be absorbent and easily laundered. The purificator should never be made of paper or any other disposable material.

Because of their function, purificators regularly become stained with the Precious Blood. It is, therefore, essential that they should first be cleansed in a sacrarium and only afterwards washed with laundry soaps in the customary manner. Purificators should be ironed in such a way that they may be easily used for the wiping of the lip of the chalice.
http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index...umentIndex/529

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 PM
 
lilyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 17,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I'm Greek Orthodox & Dh is Catholic. We attend each others services every other week (Catholic, then Orthodox, etc).

Dh was told by my priest that during our mass, dh could partake of the body but not the blood (wine). Something about the blessing being different between the two. When I go to dh's church, I take the wafer but do not drink the wine.
You dh is likely getting the blessed bead which guests can have. It is not the Eucharist but is distributed at the same time. we also distribute it after church. Anyone may have it even if they cannot receive communion for some reason. but the Eucharist is always always always mixed. the only people who can receive it separately are the priests. However the holy bread (anditeron . . .sp?) is fluffy and cut into big chunk and distributed with a blessing.

as for you taking it somewhere else generally this would be cause for excommunication. obviously you have the blessing of your priest but typically this is not allowed AFAIK. this is a special exception made for you by you priest and is not the rule by any means. (I am not saying you are wrong by doing this in any way since you have permission from you priest. my children have permission to take communion with their dad so as not to cause him any grief, but the Orthodox Church does not believe that there is a difference in bread and wine or that it is ok to receive sacraments outside the church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
As for not drinking the wine, I was told not to partake if I was bleeding anywhere, but especially during that time of the month. Apparently it's bad to imbibe the blood of Christ just to bleed it out. Maybe the Catholic Church is similar in this? Maybe he or his daughter were bleeding?

Ami
I don't know if the catholic church has the same rule. even the Othodox church is relaxing on this. I don't receive during my period just because I would rather not than talk to my priest about my period to find out if it was ok but wouldn't refrain just because I had a cut or something. i forget the reasoning behind this and I know lots of people do receive while they have their period and their priests are fine with it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

lilyka is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 AM
 
mamabadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I don't receive during my period just because I would rather not than talk to my priest about my period to find out if it was ok but wouldn't refrain just because I had a cut or something. i forget the reasoning behind this and I know lots of people do receive while they have their period and their priests are fine with it.
The rule in the Orthodox church does not restrict just menstruating women from taking Communion, but anyone who is flowing blood from any cause, even a small cut.
A Greek Orthodox priest wrote:
Quote:
It is the tradition of the Church that no one (unless they are dying) should partake of Holy Communion when they are bleeding. This goes for men and women. We believe that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ, thus we carefully wipe our mouths after receiving so as not to have any part of the Blessed Sacrament lost; (this is also why we do not kiss icons or anybody after Communion, let alone spit or smoke cigarettes right after the Sacrament). We believe the Sacrament enters our bodies and our blood stream (read the prayers of thanksgiving after Communion) and this is why we are not to take Communion when we are bleeding.
The way I had it explained to me is that blood, in the church, has a special, symbolic significance. This idea comes up in many ways throughout the Old and New Testament. The Communion, not being ordinary food, is said to enter the person's blood directly. This does not have to be taken in a literal, physical way; it is just as valid if taken symbolically. For this reason, we avoid receiving Communion if we are spilling blood at the time, from any cause.
mamabadger is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
 
theretohere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting. I know that my curch won't commune somone if they know that they intend to only take one type.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
theretohere is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if someone has an allergy, they can't take communion at all? That is not good.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Irishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the bat cave with heartmama
Posts: 45,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can buy gf hosts, but they come from the US. Then you have to make sure the priest gets them before mass, and remembers who you are, and keeps it separate for you. Our church provides a gold container (with a name, which I forget) for it. Our previous priest made a huge production out of it, and put people off, but this one seems okay with it.

However, they still put the gluten host in the wine. And dd decided she doesn't believe, and won't take anyway.
Irishmommy is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
 
the_lissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah. I was just referring to the pp's church.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

the_lissa is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
 
TzippityDoulah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DC area
Posts: 3,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm celiac so communion is always an issue for me... I've found various ways around it. (I'm not catholic so our communion is different...) where there is a will there is a way!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

TzippityDoulah is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
 
theretohere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
So if someone has an allergy, they can't take communion at all? That is not good.
We keep gluten free hosts on hand. We also don't do any sort of dunking, so the wine isn't contaminated with gluten. For people with trouble with the wine, one drop of wine is put into a cup of water since grape juice isn't allowed.
I haven't been able to find any stories of someone who was eligible for Communion and wasn't able to not get it due to allergies in our Synod.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
theretohere is offline  
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
 
lilyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 17,896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we do not have gluten free communion. it is an isue but there is nothing that can be done about it. They can be given a very very small amount, some ecieve only once a year and just deal with the side effects. Some refrain in hopes of healing. how a peson deals with it is something tiob decided between them and their spiritual father. and yeah it sucks but we all have crosses to bear.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

lilyka is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off