pagans who cover? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 250 Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll try to get some pictures up!

Right now I've been going with the "wide headband" type things from Goodie... the fabric is probably 5-6 inches wide but gathered into a tube with elastic in it at the very back? So it covers the top but scrunches down behind the neck. Which is good since right now my hair is at a length where havin a scarf tied behind my neck makes all sort of funny "pop up" hair effects!

(My hair grows super slowly, I haven't had more than a "split end trim" in over a year and it's just barely maybe almost if I twist my head a bit to the top of my shirt collar )

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#182 of 250 Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
Did you just do the crown style over your hair down? I tried it like that (I braided my hair to keep it from getting caught in the scarf, then unbraided it), and well, frankly, it looked a little weird on me. I'm definitely going to try the crown style again sometime, with my hair pinned like I do for the dutch crown. Did you like the way it looked with hair down? I feel like I look a little less.... radical with my hair out from under my scarf. Then again, why should I dress to please others than myself? regardless, I'd like to see how you did that style with your hair down. Maybe you could take a pic? I'd love to see one. Thanks
Sorry it's taken forever to get back with you! What I do is put my hair in a low-ish pony-tail and then let it down when I'm done tying. As with all things, I keep forgetting to up on the cover. I just can't get into the routine of it, and I get out the door without it and now I can't even find my scarf. It's hard with the bitty one to remember to do anything beyond eating and getting dressed. I guess the people I work with are lucky I remember to put clothes on!

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#183 of 250 Old 05-14-2009, 03:30 AM

How is everyone? this thread has kind of fallen to the way side. I have been covering about 98% of the time for the last 6 months, how is everyone else doing?

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#184 of 250 Old 05-14-2009, 09:16 AM

I haven't read the entire thread, I just wanted to share that I knew a woman who practiced Santeria, and one of the results she received was that she had to have something between her head and sky at all times.

I suppose this isn't exactly a "cover your hair", she mostly wore hats that still let hair show, but it did seem related. (She didn't have to wear the hat indoors, but usually did anyway.)

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#185 of 250 Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

OH, I actually have a picture since DH took one on Mother's Day. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wombatclay/3522102711/

And now that my hair is getting a bit longer I've started experimenting with braiding my hair into covers... hmmmm... that sounds odd. But having a sort of braid or braids across the crown of my head and along the sides that has a mesh or crystal or significant item woven into the braid. So serving the same purpose (protection from and/or containment of energy, reminder of sacred) as a fabric scarf but more organic to the day and less visible.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#186 of 250 Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm finally doing it! I've been ruotinely wearing a wide headband. I also bought the one by Goody, but they're out of them now. I guess they stopped making or carying them or something. At any rate, I found a really pretty pink plaid one at an afro-hair store near where I work. Now that I know what I'm looking at, I'm gonna sew a few of my own.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...9/Headband.jpg

#187 of 250 Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 AM

Has anyone ever heard of a distinct reason why a shaman or soothsayer would need to NOT cover their head? I have an idea about this, but I can't find any scholarly answers for this online that would support my theory...
#188 of 250 Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hquest_98 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a distinct reason why a shaman or soothsayer would need to NOT cover their head? I have an idea about this, but I can't find any scholarly answers for this online that would support my theory...
While I can't say it's true 100% of the time concider this: I brought this up on a local pagan mailing list and among the many many reasons I was given to not cover was one that had nothing to do with women's rights or political statements. She is a member of a sort of Native American style tradition that blends in some new-age stuff among other things. At any rate the beleif is that your hair is like your antenna, your receiver for the energy of the universe. Covering it would be bad.

#189 of 250 Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but I wonder.... has anyone integrated a head covering ceremony as part of a rite of passage for themselves or their girls going through puberty? Hmmmmmmmm
I actually swore an oath to Frigg on Mother-night two Yule's past (aka a year and a half ago). The intent was to help me focus on my role in my family as wife/mother, and the oath was to cover my hair until it's long enough to tie into a knot. Since I shaved my head two years ago, it's going to be a while yet before my hair is that long; I don't know that I'll stop covering then, but I won't before. There is an implication that I also won't cut my hair, however.

Coming of age for DD is more likely to involve giving her more freedom over choosing her own dress/modesty (or deliberate lack thereof). I do require her to keep her shoulders covered, and don't let her wear very short shorts or skirts or bare her midriff. She's five. When she comes of age and comes into her own time of exploring her sexuality, it will be up to her to decide what is and is not appropriate (not that I won't express my opinion, but that's not the same as a rule).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFox View Post
While I can't say it's true 100% of the time concider this: I brought this up on a local pagan mailing list and among the many many reasons I was given to not cover was one that had nothing to do with women's rights or political statements. She is a member of a sort of Native American style tradition that blends in some new-age stuff among other things. At any rate the beleif is that your hair is like your antenna, your receiver for the energy of the universe. Covering it would be bad.
Unless, of course, you are the sort of person who needs insulation from all that energy. I also think what the ambient energy is is different; I don't cover within my home because I'm covered by my home-roof; my home has been marked and consecrated as sacred space, and that is renewed regularly. Not so my place of employment, or the city in general.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#190 of 250 Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I am really amazed that this thread is here! I started covering my head with a bandana after I cut my hair reeeally short last summer. I've been on the hunt for better head coverings than what I've been wearing, and the links on this thread have me drooling.

For me, covering my head has felt right ever since I first had the thought to do it. I feel much more confident and comfortable out in public with something covering my hair. The idea that I'm protecting myself from other people's energy (or other energy that's out there) is one that resonates with me. Reading this thread was a huge "a-ha" moment for me.

I have some other thoughts on the subject, but my baby is needing me now. So good to see other pagans who have felt the same way.
#191 of 250 Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

How is everyone doing? I got my first question about my covering today( as apposed to the weird looks) It was actually a pretty positive experience. How is it going for everyone else?

#192 of 250 Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore View Post
ok- so i just stumbled across this tonight and am flabbergasted that it is a 9 page thread!

i've been wearing only skirts now since at least December and love it. i have been feeling pulled towards covering since then too, but not sure how and when to start. amazing (as many have already said) that so many other pagan women are feeling this at the same time! wearing skirts has not been about modesty for me (since i wear them with tank tops on occasion), but about maintaining my connection with the sacred feminine in my daily life. i haven't read through the whole thread (just the first 4 pages) but i really liked the seret metzach style headband on one of the links. i bet i could knit or crochet something like that for myself fairly easily. y'all have really encouraged me, so thanks.

oh- and i agree that there is still great wisdom to be gleaned for those that walk this path from the Abrahamic traditions and it is unfortunate that so many shun the opportunity to do so.
Wow! Most amazing - I'm loving this thread.

I haven't been drawn towards covering my head at all (and that might be aspects of my rejection of the Abrahamic religion of my childhood), but I have been drawn deeply and intensely towards wearing skirts only, skirts all the time. It's a connection to the sacred feminine in my mind, and it does 'set me apart' from the world. And, they are right comfy, too. : Interestingly enough, wearing floor length skirts does not trigger my 'modesty' meter, at all, anymore than wearing a pair of jeans would.

I really need to start sewing more. *lol*

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#193 of 250 Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the thread all! Some months it's pretty chatty, other months not so much!

Quote:
At any rate the beleif is that your hair is like your antenna, your receiver for the energy of the universe. Covering it would be bad.
That is interesting, since some groups (some Rastafarians, I think?) believe that since your hair is your "antenna" it is crucial to cover it while in situations where the energy would not be beneficial to you. And this is a feeling I've seen in many of the posts here... that a head covering acts on an energetic level in the same way an umbrella acts on a rainy day or a coat on a windy day. It's a way to choose how much "X" is reaching you.

That's basically how I feel about covering... it's something I choose to do in some situations, but not in others, depending on the energy of the place/event/ceremony/people present. And I have different coverings for different times, ranging from wider/more complete coverage (a wide scarf with herbs or stones sewn into the hems, or a knit scarf with specific fibers woven into the knit) to smaller/less visible coverings (like the ribbon I weave into a braid or the silver wire with stone beads woven into a sort of open mesh headband).

#194 of 250 Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Welcome to the thread all! Some months it's pretty chatty, other months not so much!

That is interesting, since some groups (some Rastafarians, I think?) believe that since your hair is your "antenna" it is crucial to cover it while in situations where the energy would not be beneficial to you. And this is a feeling I've seen in many of the posts here... that a head covering acts on an energetic level in the same way an umbrella acts on a rainy day or a coat on a windy day. It's a way to choose how much "X" is reaching you.

That's basically how I feel about covering... it's something I choose to do in some situations, but not in others, depending on the energy of the place/event/ceremony/people present. And I have different coverings for different times,.

This is the way I cover, I feel the need to be completely covered around certain groups of people or in new environments, but I can be completely uncovered or minimally covered around other people. During ritual or meditation I do not cover at all.

#195 of 250 Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

I've always got an extra-wide headband on outside my home. And if I run to the ice cream place and realize I've forgotten it, I feel completely exposed. No one has said anything to be about it at all. In fact the kids on my school bus think it's pretty cool. It has the added benifit of keeping my hair out of my face when I drive. I'm gonna see about picking up stone beads and sewing them onto a couple (I even made a few out of old altar cloths) I love making my own and I can match them to my outfits, too! The sheilding qualities of my headcovers are a must on the bus.

#196 of 250 Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM

I've mostly fallen off of covering because my covers are very warm, and that makes me crazy in the heat. I've got two that are light cotton, but as they're plain white they don't get worn terribly often outside of ritual. I still get the urge fairly often, though. I miss it. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#197 of 250 Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Love this thread! I've been thinking of this a lot in the past few years and just now saw this thread!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#198 of 250 Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM

I just started covering a little over a month ago. It's been forever since I have been to mothering and a web search on the subject brought my attention to this. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

So far I am using this style the most. Only difference is that after I get it wrapped I pull some of the back looser so that it looks a little snoodish and then tuck the loose ends in. I really need more scarves though.

For me there are a lot of reasons but you ladies have pretty much covered them.
#199 of 250 Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Hey guys - any of you like to write/ have a bit of time on your hands and wanted to talk a little about your experiences as a covering pagan? (Or a NOT covering one, if that's your take on it...) Takers? :

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#200 of 250 Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Paganmum-another headcovering pagan in my neck of the woods? Awesome!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#201 of 250 Old 09-07-2009, 03:54 AM

Just curious

- of you pagans who cover do you also dress plain or modestly? or is your covering separate from the rest of your style?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#202 of 250 Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Just curious

- of you pagans who cover do you also dress plain or modestly? or is your covering separate from the rest of your style?
The covering is seperate from the rest of my dress. I do not go out of my way to dress conservatively, nor do I go out of my way to dress (how do I put this politely?) in a way that is solely meant to create desire. I've still got my baby belly, and when I get rid of it, I'm sure I'll dress differently. The cover style I use lends itself to clothing styles from dressy to casual. My covering serves a couple puroses. Firstly, it is a symbol of the divine feminine. Secondly, it' protection fron stray psychic energy.

#203 of 250 Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Just curious

I would say I incorporate it into my style. I do not dress plain( I ware bright colors, patterns , modern styles). I do dress modestly. I ware jeans no shorts, long shirts( but that is more to cover baby belly when i lose it that may change) cover my chest. I do where short sleeves though in the summer but no tank tops. As some one else already said, I cover for two reasons First it is a symbol of the divine feminine. Second, it's protection from negative psychic energy.

#204 of 250 Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Just curious

I find that my style tends to lean towards modesty - I prefer long skirts, and layered tops, but I will go out with arms & cleavage showing, too.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
#205 of 250 Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM

I came across this Idea in the "covered Girls" section on here we can post examples of our clothes. Here is a example of the kind of clothes I ware daily( these are not actually my clothes but were as similar as I could find) http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/app so we can see what we are all doing. You can just create your own by clicking create then post a link to us here. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing.

#206 of 250 Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven View Post
I came across this Idea in the "covered Girls" section on here we can post examples of our clothes. Here is a example of the kind of clothes I ware daily( these are not actually my clothes but were as similar as I could find) http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/app so we can see what we are all doing. You can just create your own by clicking create then post a link to us here. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing.
Those clothes look familiar! Glad to know someone else has the same taste I do! :

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#207 of 250 Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Loving Old Navy, today got knee length tunics for 4.69 and nice trousers for 15.00

#208 of 250 Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just curious

Totally seperate... I don't equate covering my hair/head with modesty, and there is nothing in particular that would make me "stand out" from the average American college town crowd in terms of clothing or attitude. I'm a snarky/cause/graphic t-shirt and jeans sort.

I belly dance, have tattoos, was a member of a RHPS floor show for years, attend SCA and pagan gatherings/rituals that are certainly not known for "modest dressing" , etc.

Head covering for me is a tool... it helps me shut out unwanted energies while conserving my own.

#209 of 250 Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM

I've been covering periodically, and finally made a fianancial commitment and ordered some pretty stuff from Garlands of Grace. As a wife and a mother, I don't find many examples in modern media or my social circle. Ancient wives in most societies covered their hair. Hestia, Juno, and queens of the domestic sphere are early always potrayed with covered hair... and that's the example I am drawn to personally.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#210 of 250 Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I've been covering periodically, and finally made a fianancial commitment and ordered some pretty stuff from Garlands of Grace. As a wife and a mother, I don't find many examples in modern media or my social circle. Ancient wives in most societies covered their hair. Hestia, Juno, and queens of the domestic sphere are early always potrayed with covered hair... and that's the example I am drawn to personally.
give us a review of your items when you get them!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page