Any Christian churches that don't persecute homosexuals? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
The Episcopal church in the US is a good choice! It's Christ-based, and doesn't discriminate. There is an bishop, Gene Robinson, who has written a book (Swept to the Center by God...I think) that's supposed to be pretty good on the topic, and he's openly gay.
This reminds me... (I like to plug this movie whenever possible!) I wholeheartedly suggest the movie "For the Bible Tells me So". Gene Robinson was among the people featured in the film. It's truly amazing, and does a fantastic job reconciling religion and homosexuality. Loved it. There were some upsetting parts, but on the whole I found it very healing.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into a UU alternative, but I really would like to find something Christ-based. Can it be possible that every Christ-centered faith discriminates against gay people?
United Church of Christ! It's "open and affirming" which means all people are welcome exactly as they are. Our church has a mission for gay and lesbians and their families and one of our pastors is a lesbian.

The church is Christ centered and has an interpretive approach to the bible. http://www.ucc.org/steeples-campaign-registration.html
Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 AM

I'd go with the community of christ as they are a form of lds but are much more accepting than lds. used to be called rlds.

nak

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 AM

Would you be OK with the overall denomination moving in the direction that you are seeking and specific congregations being more welcoming than others? That would be my summary of where the Episcopal Church is. The denomination has said they believe gays to be equal members but are trying to walk a fine line between what the Episcopal Church believes and what other Anglican churches worldwide are comfortable with. Some congregations are very openly "gay supportive" with gay clergy, and semi-under-the-table blessings of gay unions (under a variety of names). Others aren't quite there but will support gay members to the max. Some others are more, hm..., traditional in their beliefs. So you would have to find the right congregation. But I can say that while my congregation has refrained from blessing gay unions opening, they will do so privately and they were perfectly happy to baptize both my children with gay godparents. No anti-gay sentiment expressed, several openly gay staff members, and a float in the GLBT parade.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 AM

I am a 'Piscy and depending on your area, many are very supportive of LGBT. The national church definitely is. There are very conservative pockets in terms of individual churches but you would never find the ECUSA doing a LDS style attack on the LGBT community. I attended a parish with an openly gay male priest for years. He baptized my children and was president of a Episcopal grassroots organization that advocated for that community. He was quoted quite a bit in national news when the Matthew Shepherd murder happened. If you PM me what state you are in I might be able to help point you to a good church.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 AM

my church is a member of the ELCA (evangelical lutheran church in america) and i am proud to say they put ads in local papers that state "gay or straight" among other stuff they accept. i wish i had a copy i could send you; it is so beautifully written, "we are all god's children" etc.

good luck!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Church if the Brethren

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My church (Reformed Baptist) believes that homosexual behavior is sinful. It does not persecute homosexuals.

My church also believes that lying, lust, greed, pride and stealing are sinful. It does not persecute people who do those things, either.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 AM

A Reconciling in Christ ELCA Lutheran church would be great, but there are many congregations who are open who haven't become officially RiC congregations. Our church isn't officially one yet, but we're working on it. I went to a service the other night at another church that is, to hear the Executive Director of Lutherans Concerned/North America ("an organization committed to the full participation of people of all sexual orientations and gender identitites in the Lutheran church and its ecumenical and global partners"). I was in tears several times as she spoke, and became even more committed to be involved in the movement. For more info about LC/NA, check out www.lcna.org
Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Thread closed for moderator review.

ETA: I have split the thread into two conversations; please note that this thread should remain within the basic discussion begun by the OP.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 11-27-2008, 03:27 AM

I am a member of an Unity Church, and Unity is christian, but they interpret the bible from a metaphysical perspective, and they are very supportive of the Gay community, in fact the head of the board at my church is a gay man and there are many gay couples that attend there. They make it a point when welcoming new people to state that they are open to all people including sexual orientation.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:01 AM

Have you looked into the Center for Spiritual Awareness? Ernest Holmes started the movement and they celebrate all religions. It's a lovely church and even our reverend is gay!! She's a wonderful woman. Check out these links:

http://www.csasacramento.org/

There was a documentary made about our church. I believe there is a trailer at this link:

http://www.thetruthaboutus.tv/

Open and loving and accepting. I've never had a Sunday in this church without balling like a baby. The love is nurturing and loving and wonderfully spiritual.

Good luck!

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 AM

I know your church, and a few people from there. My old roommate goes there, and Janis Hunt, I have wanted to come check it out, I just love Christ Unity so much, that it is hard to go somewhere else on a Sunday. But I have heard great things about there as well. I love the Unity movement. I attribute that church to so much of my personal growth and transformation in my life.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM

I personally don't believe its right but I attend a United Methodist church and they are very open to all people. As it says "Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds"... this may be something to consider. Methodist churches are Christian and are very similar to Baptist in a lot of ways. Its a generally conservative Christian church although they have an open mind about things. It may/may not be right but they won't judge people for their beliefs/life/etc. like a lot of the Baptist churches I've attended that seemed very judgemental. They even wear everyday clothes to church!!!! Try that in a southern Baptist church... they'd fry you on the six o'clock news!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
I personally don't believe its right but I attend a United Methodist church and they are very open to all people. As it says "Open Doors, Open Hearts, Open Minds"... this may be something to consider. Methodist churches are Christian and are very similar to Baptist in a lot of ways. Its a generally conservative Christian church although they have an open mind about things. It may/may not be right but they won't judge people for their beliefs/life/etc. like a lot of the Baptist churches I've attended that seemed very judgemental. They even wear everyday clothes to church!!!! Try that in a southern Baptist church... they'd fry you on the six o'clock news!
Why isn't being open to all people right? I have a hard time understanding this.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Why isn't being open to all people right? I have a hard time understanding this.
I think the pp meant that she, personally, feels homosexuality is wrong -- not that it's wrong for her church to be open. And the ways that people define "open" vary tremendously. Is it just, "It's okay for you to come in and worship with us" --

Or does it extend to, "We welcome you to serve the Lord alongside us, become members, and get involved in church ministry, including leadership if you're so called"?

I don't know a whole lot about the United Methodist church -- but we may be looking into this soon, as there's one not too far from us. We just tried our local United Church of Christ, and dh didn't feel at all at home there -- I think because that particular preacher got really loud and yelled a lot while delivering the sermon, and dh isn't comfortable in that kind of situation.

I'm not sure what all the yelling was about, because I was downstairs playing with my girls in the playroom, where we were directed when they got restless -- but I could just hear the yelling and felt concerned about dh, since this stuff really bugs him. And dh wasn't really open to talking about it, he just said he wasn't comfortable and didn't want to go back. I'm sure this is no reflection on the UCC in general, it's just one person's individual style.

Anyhow, there's still the ELCA church close-by to try -- the small one with no kids, and also a United Methodist church and an Episcopal church. So I guess we'll just have to check them out, and see what our options are. There are tons of other churches, but they're either in other languages, or they're denominations that I know are pretty fundamentalist and/or conservative, unless I'm missing something.

If we can't find a church, there's always the possibility that we can meet up with some likeminded friends in our home, I'll just be praying that God will bring some more liberal-minded people into our lives. Most of the people we currently know right now, would be horrified if they knew the full extent of how our theology is changing. They might even label us as one of those families they "shouldn't even eat with" --

Which is cool, because I'm seriously not wanting to hide my views out of fear that our friends will drop us. I'm just hoping, for my 8yo's sake, that we can start getting plugged into a new community before we start (potentially) getting "shunned" by our old one.

I'm hoping it will work out for the girls and me to volunteer in our neighborhood battered women's shelter, helping to care for the children there while their mothers are in-training or seeking work. If it works out, I'm praying that this will be an opportunity to develop some friendships with other more liberal-minded people (as well as getting to give to others, of course).

I volunteered in a shelter in college, and from what I remember of the staff and volunteers, they seem like wonderful friends for the person I am today. Back in college, I was more into my young college-life, and the shelter was just a place I went to help out.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
Methodist churches are Christian and are very similar to Baptist in a lot of ways. Its a generally conservative Christian church although they have an open mind about things. It may/may not be right but they won't judge people for their beliefs/life/etc. like a lot of the Baptist churches I've attended that seemed very judgemental. They even wear everyday clothes to church!!!! Try that in a southern Baptist church... they'd fry you on the six o'clock news!
Regarding "Baptists," just to clarify in terms of people using this thread to search for non-discriminating churches (not to disagree with the heart of what you've said) there are a bunch of different types of Baptists. My experience with Baptist churches (including attending national conventions with Baptists from all over) is that they vary widely from place to place and church to church, as well as among the many categories - Southern (what many people think of when they think of Baptists), Northern (American or ABC), and independent Baptist churches, as well as Missionary, National, Cooperative, Charismatic, etc. I posted earlier in this thread and linked to the American Baptists' organization of welcoming and affirming churches. The ABC/UCC church I attend is not only "open," it is extremely supportive of LGBT (and a variety of "other") people and has a long history of activism and homosexual pastors and leaders.

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Another vote for Unity, because it's my church and not the same at Unitarian Universalist.

On the other hand, Unity is pretty liberal and not dogmatic. I grew up "liberal" United Methodist and a lot of my family now attends the Unity Church (which I found).

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

User Tag List