canned vs. fresh pumpkin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have a ton of fresh pumpkin that I was looking to make some cookies, muffins and bread out of. I roasted it up and have it in jars in the fridge waiting for greatness...
So here's the deal...every recipe I look up asks specifically for CANNED pumpkin...The canned pumpkin I see doesn't seem extra sweet or spiced or anything, so I'm wondering if it has to do with the moisture content.

Anyone have experience using fresh vs. canned? Any adaptations I should make? I'm trying to get a lot of the liquid out of the stuff I have...without drying it

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM

Probably because pretty much nobody uses fresh pumpkin these days! Just cook your pumpkin in a pot until it is the consistency of canned pumpkin and you'll be good to go. Canned pumpkin isn't sweetened or anything, so no adjustments need to be made there. Good luck!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Yeah, what she said. Just use the same amount of cooked fresh pumpkin as they call for canned. Same stuff. Its just, how many people do you know that actually COOK pumpkin these days?? I've made dozens of pumpkin pies in my life, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think I've EVER cooked a pumpkin!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with PPs. Canned and fresh are interchangeable in my house! Just be sure to mash it, or give it a spin the the food processor.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM

My opinion is that the food processor is necessary if you're trying to duplicate the exact same consistency as the canned stuff. I've tried using a potato masher or even the electric mixer, but the fp does a much better job of making it really smooth.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM

seconding the food processor! also since fresh pumpkin is more watery you will need to use a little less than regular recipes call for.

I made pumpkin butter the other day (from fresh baked pumpkin) yummy! :

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM

I have noticed that it can be a little wetter. That might be because I use the crock pot to cook ours down. My family actually prefers the slightly stringy texture of the real pumpkin. I wouldn't take the extra time to food process it if you don't have to

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM

I use the food processor after I cook the pumpkin, adding honey or maple syrup and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, then freeze it. It does have a bit more liquid than canned, so I just add the liquid in the recipe slowly and adjust to the right consistency for whatever I'm making.

blogging.jpg

User Tag List