What to put in Vegetable Stock - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please bear with me...I know this is a silly question but I'm really sick (pregnancy) and I have to host Thanksgiving dinner...

Besides carrots, onions and celery, is there anything else I need to make a decent veggie stock? I need a gallon of it for the brine for the turkey.

I make chicken and beef stock (TF style) all the time but I've never done just a plain veggie stock.

TIA

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're really wanting to cut down on the work (remembering back to my last pregnancy), you can skip the veggie stock for the brine. I love Alton Brown's brining approach to making turkey, I've actually got turkey legs sitting in brine in my frig now, but I just used a bit extra salt and called it tasty. Mine's already brining because I need to get everything cooked today so that we can pack it up and take it with us for visiting family for Thanksgiving (food allergies--in case you're wondering why I would be doing it now!). I didn't think the extra oomph in flavor was worth the effort (or in my case, expense, since I'd probably buy vegetable broth).

That said--you can add potato peelings, potato peel broth is very mineral rich. I don't think you want cruciferous veggies or greens high in oxalates. But you know that you don't need to simmer it nearly as long as bone broth, right? When I've made it, I think I simmered 1/2 hr and then let it sit another 1/2 hr.

And wow for hosting while pregnant.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM

I usually do carrots, onions and celery but it all depends on what I have in the house. I save all my veggie scraps and those are the ones I use the most. I've added broccoli before too.

Quote:
That said--you can add potato peelings, potato peel broth is very mineral rich.
Not to jack this thread, but I save all mine in the freezer until I have enough for stock. Can you freeze potato peels?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM

I use carrot peels, onion peels, celery leaves, bay leaf and leek tops mostly. Whatever you do, stay away from brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, turnip etc) because it will make the stock taste strongly of those vegetables.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Not to jack this thread, but I save all mine in the freezer until I have enough for stock. Can you freeze potato peels?
I don't know. I've made potato peel stock a couple times specifically for sick kids, but what I actually did was went out and bought a bag of potatoes, peeled them all, made the stock and then figured out what to do with the peeled potatoes afterward. Not the most practical way to go about it, I'll admit.

At a guess--seems like they'd turn out okay esp if you gave them a swish through lemon-y water (like you do for the white part of the potato to prevent browning) and then froze them fast. But I don't really know.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM

We put all our veggie scraps (garlic peels, onion skins and ends, carrot peels and ends, cabbage leaves, celery ends, potato peels, etc. . .) in a plastic baggy in the freezer. When the baggy is full, I then take it out and simmer it for a couple hours. Then I have homemade veggie stock which I keep in glass jars in the fridge. I also add some salt, herbs if we have some (especially if they are about to go), pepper, whatever I have or feel like experimenting with.

However, with the turkey, I really love Alton Brown's method of brining and do it every year.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM

i make alton brown's turkey, too. i dont usually make veggie broth, but i made a fantastic one for this year's brine. carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves, leeks and celery. make sure that the celery has leaves, they are the most flavorful part. i went to two places (trader joes and the supermarket) and only found celery stalks and eventually found celery with leaves at the farmer's market... yes it is that important, lol!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM

I add whatever is leftover from my veggie scraps (which I keep in the freezer, including peels of garlic/onions, pototoes, tomatoes, herb stalks, whatever) then add fresh:

1 onion quartered
2 fresh stalks of celery
2 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
fresh parsley
fresh rosemary sprig
dried thyme
dried oregeno
celery seed
salt
pepper

big pot, boil then simmer for several hours, strain into another pot
put scraps back into the big pot, add the dried herbs again, boil a second time
double batch!

At this point, though, I would just cheat and buy some at the store!

User Tag List