Mothering Forum banner

Nitrates- how do I know if deli meats contain them?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Theia 
#1 ·
Hi!
My hubby eats a turkey sandwich for lunch everyday, and the rest of us eat a couple sandwiches a week- either turkey or ham. How would I know if they contain nitrates? Is it actually an ingredient that I would find on the list if I asked to see the product labeling at the deli counter? I know nitrates are in most bacon, hot dogs, pepperoni etc, but you can buy nitrate free versions. I wondered if this is the case with turkey/ham from the deli counter. I hadn't looked for nitrate free versions (with things like hots dogs, bacon- it just isn't something we eat often- a couple times a year so I don't bother looking for nitrate free).
Thanks!

#2 ·
Assume they have them, especially at a regular deli/grocery store. At WF they may not have them. But virtually all conventional lunchmeat/cured meat contain nitrates because it is a cheap and easy way to prevent spoilage.

And yes, asking to read the labels would tell you for sure, but generally speaking you're probably not going to find a nitrate free (US made) lunchmeat at a conventional deli.

#3 ·
Do you know how the amount of nitrates compares with hot dogs because I always see hot dogs mentioned (and sometimes bacon) but not a lot about deli meats. I'm trying to figure out how big of a deal it is. With our budget I need to choose the things that will make the most difference, we aren't going to be able to buy all organic type stuff unfortunately.
Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
If they are nitrate free they will proclaim it loudly and proudly on the label. You won't miss it. If it doesn't specifically say nitrate-free, it's not. At least, that has been my experience. The brands that are careful not to include nitrates make it easy for you to see that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.