Nitrates- how do I know if deli meats contain them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
My hubby eats a turkey sandwich for lunch everyday, and the rest of us eat a couple sandwiches a week- either turkey or ham. How would I know if they contain nitrates? Is it actually an ingredient that I would find on the list if I asked to see the product labeling at the deli counter? I know nitrates are in most bacon, hot dogs, pepperoni etc, but you can buy nitrate free versions. I wondered if this is the case with turkey/ham from the deli counter. I hadn't looked for nitrate free versions (with things like hots dogs, bacon- it just isn't something we eat often- a couple times a year so I don't bother looking for nitrate free).
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Assume they have them, especially at a regular deli/grocery store. At WF they may not have them. But virtually all conventional lunchmeat/cured meat contain nitrates because it is a cheap and easy way to prevent spoilage.

And yes, asking to read the labels would tell you for sure, but generally speaking you're probably not going to find a nitrate free (US made) lunchmeat at a conventional deli.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know how the amount of nitrates compares with hot dogs because I always see hot dogs mentioned (and sometimes bacon) but not a lot about deli meats. I'm trying to figure out how big of a deal it is. With our budget I need to choose the things that will make the most difference, we aren't going to be able to buy all organic type stuff unfortunately.
Thanks for your help!
#4 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 AM

If they are nitrate free they will proclaim it loudly and proudly on the label. You won't miss it. If it doesn't specifically say nitrate-free, it's not. At least, that has been my experience. The brands that are careful not to include nitrates make it easy for you to see that.

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
#5 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Most are well labeled if they are nitrate free. You can always ask the person at the deli counter to either check or let you read the ingredients. A good brand that I know doesn't have nitrates is Diestel. GL.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page