Holiday treats...melting chocolate from good chocolate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some old chocolate molds I used to use as a kid, and am thinking of making some chocolate lollipops or molded candies to gift, but I don't want to use those crummy melting chocolate wafers with all the junk in them.

Has anybody tried this with real chocolate? Are there any differences or tricks to it? Will it set up properly to unmold? I was thinking about buying Trader Joes big bars (dark) and giving this a try. I would love any tips or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Using real chocolate sounds like a great idea. You will have to temper the chocolate if you want it to set up right. This involves slowly melting the chocolate and getting it to a certain temperature and then bringing the temperature back down. This is usually done by adding some unmelted chocolate back into it.

Here's a nice link about chocolate.

Here's another one.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Yup, I've done it with real chocolate. It is definitely easier with junk chocolate.

But it's entirely doable with the real stuff. Make sure you have some CO on hand, and add a spoonful to it as it melts. That helps it release from the molds easier, and helps prevent breaking (as in cocoa butter separating from solids).

I prefer working with chocolate chips for two reasons... 1- they've already been tempered so if you're careful about temperature they don't need re-tempering and 2- they melt a lot quicker/evener/easier than bars. But if you want to go with bars, be sure to break/chop it into little pieces before putting into your double boiler.

When working with molds, be sure to clean them really well and they have to be perfectly dry before pouring in the chocolate. Tap the filled molds to get out any air bubbles. Then just be aware that the chocolate will not release until it is completely set. Refrigeration is not your friend here because it can cause blooming. It just takes some time in a cool spot. You can see from the underside when it starts releasing because the molds will start looking opaque as the chocolate pulls away.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List