Left out soup overnight...:( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We made turkey soup last night and forgot to put it in the fridge. Turkey stock, a little bit of turkey, celery, carrots, onions and rice. Our kitchen is the coolest room in the house. I hate to waste it, but I don't know if it is still okay to eat. What do you think?

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#2 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry. If it were just vegetables it would probably be okay, but since it was meat I probably wouldn't eat it. I've done that before, I know it sucks!
#3 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM

I probably should stop answering these types of threads because when in doubt, I'd always throw it out. If there were no turkey, maybe I'd think it was okay but personally even then I could not save it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 PM

We would heat it up to boiling and simmer it for at least 20 minutes. DH comes from a culture where meat dishes are left out, and they are simmered once a day. At first, it bothered me, but now I'm on board.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

i'd reheat and eat

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#6 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM

I'd reheat and eat too. We often leave meat out if I know the kitchen is going to be cool overnight. Never caused a problem. As pp stated, lots of other places don't have great cold storage options and get along just fine!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM

There's rarely room for my soup pot in the fridge, so it sits out overnight all the time. The only time I'm extra sure to make room for it is if the soup has milk in it. Barring that, I'd just reheat it and eat it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't "get" why so many people seem to think that cooked meat harbors more germs than cooked vegetables. IME, it's the starchy vegetables that are prone to getting moldy.

I would heat up the soup thoroughly and then eat it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
There's rarely room for my soup pot in the fridge, so it sits out overnight all the time. The only time I'm extra sure to make room for it is if the soup has milk in it. Barring that, I'd just reheat it and eat it.

I agree, have you ever seen a covered pot of plain rice left on the counter for 24 hours? eeks!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#10 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 PM

I'd thow it out. Who knows what kind of heat-stable toxins might be lurking in that soup...
#11 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 PM

I'd heat it to boiling for a few minutes and then consider it good.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#12 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 PM

I would reheat for a while and eat it too, as long as it didn't smell off. I know it's not up to restaurant code or anything, but I've been known to get lazy about putting away lunch leftovers and not getting them in the fridge until bedtime, and we've never gotten food poisoning. If it was longer than twelve hours or so, I'd be more prone to toss it.
#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up throwing it out. I cringed while doing it, thinking of the wasted food/money, but I had a bad episode of food poisoning a few months ago and couldn't risk it.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM

I'd reheat it, maybe eat a little, but DH would eat it for sure... I mean, reheat and then try it if it tastes funky, then get rid of it, but if it seems fine, I'd eat it

Oh, just noticed you threw it out - NM

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM

I am always amazed at these threads also. You guys must have much stronger stomachs than I. I would throw the soup away without even thinking about it! I can't imagine eating food that might be bad - just yuck!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page