How do I stop the rice from burning on the bottom of my rice cooker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a cheap rice cooker last week and used it for the first time last night. I made brown rice and it burned to the bottom both times I tried to make it. The rice was great, but there was a layer of burnt to the bottom. Can I stop that from happening?

Also, it sputtered starchy water over everything while it was cooking. How do I keep it from making a mess?

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#2 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Did you rinse the rice before cooking?

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#3 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

uh, no... am I supposed to do that?

#4 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Does it have a brown rice setting, or do you have to run it through two cycles to cook the brown? I'd try to figure out a way to give the rice a stir halfway through the cooking.

For the sputtering problem, toss a kitchen towel over it, that will contain the mess. Some brands just do that.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

There is only a warm and a cook setting. I turned it on cook and ran it though one cycle. It took about 20 or 30 minutes, but it did cook the brown rice perfectly. The instructions did say to stir at about the 15 minute point for brown rice (which I did).

I thought about throwing a towel over it, but wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause other cooking problems.

#6 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM

was it blackened burnt, or just a crusty brown on the bottom? Crusty brown bottom is considered a good thing by some.
#7 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

It was very crispy brown and stuck to the bottom. I had to soak the bowl and scrape it off. It's not the taste that I mind, it's the clean up. I was hoping to toss the bowl into the dishwasher and be done with it.

#8 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine spits as well and I have an expensive one. I wouldn't put a towel over it since you're supposed to be letting the steam escape (just seems like a fire hazard to me). About the crusty part, maybe put a bit more water in when you do the brown rice?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I wouldn't put a towel over it since you're supposed to be letting the steam escape (just seems like a fire hazard to me).
A kitchen towel isn't going to prevent steam escaping, steam will go right through it. A bath towel might. But a kitchen towel will contain the water that's sputtering out so you don't have to wipe down the entire kitchen afterwards.

And the outside of the rice maker should never get so hot that fire is a concern. That's half the point of a rice maker, it should be insulated so you don't burn yourself when you're working around it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM

i have the same problem with my rice cooker. It is so hard to clean the bottom I am considering getting rid of it. maybe i will try more water with the brown rice.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#11 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM

you stop the sputtering by adding some oil. A touch of butter, CO, or olive oil all work. Works like a charm!
#12 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czen:) View Post
you stop the sputtering by adding some oil. A touch of butter, CO, or olive oil all work. Works like a charm!
I like that idea better than using a towel. Any chance that helps to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom too?

#13 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 PM

No, It doesn't. I have gone back to using a pot and having better luck than I did with the cooker.
#14 of 14 Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 AM

I haven't found that adding oil helps mine not to sputter. I just set the pot on a kitchen towel while it cooks...the outside of the pot doesn't get warm, so I figure it's not a fire hazard, and it keeps the water all in one place and easy to clean.
Mine has 4 different 'fill lines', and I've found that it only gets crusty on the bottom if I use the largest amount, the smaller settings don't do that at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page