Why am I craving sodas? How to stop that? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I managed to cut out soda completely, but soon I had replaced it with energy drinks such as lucozade instead of the water I had replaced it with to begin with.

No matter how hard I try to stick with plain water, I always seem to crave sugary fizzy drinks....they taste so thirst quenching to me. I have even tried increasing my intake of water to 10 glasses a day incase it was dehydration issues, but it doesnt seem to help stop cravings.

Help plz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM

I'm not familiar with lucozade, but I'm wondering if it's the sweet or the fizz that you're craving... does a glass of juice hold the same appeal? How about plain soda water?

For a healthier option, pour some juice into a glass and top with soda water. Or you can brew your own water kefir, which would be healthier by far than any of the other options.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 PM

I have read that craving carbonation can indicate mineral deficiencies, but I don't remember which ones. Probably calcium or magnesium.

I crave fizz. Oh, how I crave it.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 14 Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I used to need a sugar kick by mixing a bit of fruity syrup in water or soda in juice or just juice or vitamin water....bottom line, I really needed the sugar in the drink. I decided to eliminate that need for sugar in my drinks and finally found an alternative that helped me give it up entirely.

This is what works for me. Natural sparkling mineral water. The brand I buy is from Italy. It tastes very different than soda water such as Schweppes.

I expect the minerals help and the sparkling aspect makes it more guzzle-able and tasty than just plain water.

Good luck, it's a tough addiction to overcome, at least for me it was!
#5 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Have you been drinking high fructose corn syrup sweetened drinks? I find that aspect of soda is the most addicting. Transition to something fizzy w/o the HFCS, even if it has sugar in it, then work on reducing the sugar.

I don't drink caffeine, but I get a jolt from the HFCS and had gotten into a sugar pattern with them last spring.

Good luck!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#6 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 PM

I was a hard-core Diet Coke addict for decades. Gah - can't even imagine all the ways that's impacted my health. But, I digress.... What did it for me was deciding to take a thermos of iced tea everywhere I go. As long as I have my stainless steel thermos full of yummy iced tea, I never feel the need for a soda. Good luck!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#7 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 PM

GT's kombucha tea is what helped me kick my soda cravings.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#8 of 14 Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 PM

I second GT's kombucha.... it's sweet and super fizzy and good for you to boot!
#9 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm going to chime in a third on the Kombucha!!(did you see that they gave a Thumbs up to Kombucha on the show the Doctors!! since I have started making it and doing a second ferment to make it super fizzy, I have cut my soda drinking (mainly Coke to almost none. And I too enjoy a nice bottle of ice tea. I have been reusing some glass tea bottles that my daughter drinks and would just toss that bottle out.
#10 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 06:13 PM

I can't believe 3 other people already said kombucha before me

I'll fourth the kombucha then, if you're not used to drinking it, it might take awhile, but once you are it's awsome stuff.

Wards off flu and colds too
#11 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Another note on kombucha: If you find you don't like the first one you try, try a different flavor! There are some flavors of GT's I LOVE and some I can't stand so don't write it off if you don't like the first flavor you try!
#12 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 PM

I got the Penguin water carbonator. We all (including my small kids) love bubbly water. I only put a lemon slice or something in mine but sometimes the kids like a little juice in theirs
#13 of 14 Old 12-07-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cash View Post
Another note on kombucha: If you find you don't like the first one you try, try a different flavor! There are some flavors of GT's I LOVE and some I can't stand so don't write it off if you don't like the first flavor you try!
Oh, good point! My dh likes strawberry and grape but can't stand any of the other flavours. I wouldn't suggest citrus or guava to start with.
#14 of 14 Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 AM

1. Go cold turkey until you're 'cured'.

2. Realize it's an addiction and treat it as such, if it matters to you.

3. Cut out ALL HFCS.

You need to sort of 'cleanse' yourself, and then your body should adjust to healthier drinks/food. That's how it is for me anyways.

Oh, I can do lemon water all day, but can't stand plain water. I realize it's bad for my tooth enamel...sigh. So I can do plain water if it's VERY cold. But I would the least 'processed' way of tolerating water.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page