Expired baking chocolate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody know how important the expiry date on baking chocolate is? I've got six squares of semi-sweet that expired in August. I want to use them for the top layer of a dessert square (Nanaimo bars). Would they still be okay to eat? Is the expiry a taste thing, a safety thing, a texture thing? Anybody know.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM

My food hoarding dad gave us two commercial-size (like 10+lbs) of baking chocolate and it took me years to use it up. I never noticed a difference in taste. Mine was dark chocolate, I don't know if the coco butter content plays into it or not.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM

I think its a safety thing, chocolate spoils like all foods, and additionally, there may be a change in taste or texture,etc

That said, it may still be good a while after the expiry date, the manufacturers tend to leave a margin on the expiry. But maybe 4 months is too long after?

I do know however that dark chocolate can be stored for years. If yours is the dark variety, would be safer than the others to use
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM

How has it been stored?

I have (and have eaten) chocolate that is more than 10 years old. :

The depth of flavor may suffer, but as long as it hasn't gone rancid, it should be fine.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It's stored in a cupboard up above our stove. That sounds pretty bad, but it's not really. It doesn't get that hot up there.

annran: It's semi-sweet, so it's pretty dark. Maybe I'll nibble a corner and see if it tastes right (ie. not very good ). I think it's two years old. I generally only make Nanaimo bars at Christmas. I think I bought the chocolate for Christmas in 2006. Normally, I'd have used it the following year, but having lost Aaron so recently, I didn't do that much baking last Christmas...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM

I wouldn't sweat it myself as long as it tastes ok.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM

I had chocolate fall behind other stuff in a pantry once, and when I found it again it had an off-smell. I think if it smell okay and tastes okay, it's probably fine.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

So - the chocolate was fine. I did have to buy some more for my second batch, because I accidentally used a non-microwave safe bowl to melt it on my first attempt. I didn't think I could use chocolate full of hard little burnt bits for a bake sale...

Oddly enough, I ended up sitting next to the woman who bought my entire plate of Nanaimo bars.

User Tag List