What do you think is the "perfect" breakfast, nutritionally speaking? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Day One of my breaskfast trials - I made baked oatmeal. It was great! Good suggestion. It was kind of like serving oatmeal cookies for breakfast (at least that's what I told DS!). DS is very picky and he ate half the pan. I also tried making him a smoothie, but he freaked out and yelled "NO NO NOT THE GREEN YOGURTS!!!" So...cross that one off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
These can all be made ahead.
Egg muffins (eggs, veggie, meat, cheese baked in a muffin tin)
Egg custard (eggs, honey, berries baked in a ramekin)
Cristeen - would you please elaborate a little how you do these - do you whip up the eggs or just crack them in? What temp do you bake them? I remember you mentioning the muffin tin eggs on another thread and I love the idea. I think it would suit us very well around here

So yeah - I usually start off with coffee and some yogurt with fruit. Then a little later I make eggs - sometimes with bacon/sausage, sometimes avocado, sometimes sprouted grain or sourdough toast (or on the weekend, sometimes all of those!).

DD can handle more grain so she usually starts off with dry cereal with fruit and nuts then has eggs with me later.

Sometimes I soak steel cut or whole oats and have those with lots of cream, nuts and fruit - but if I have to be sure I get enough fat/protein in there.

French toast is the same story - OK if I go light on the toast and have lots of protein with it but otherwise I'd feel awful.

Not sure if this is 'ideal' but it suits us and I feel best with that.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
Cristeen - would you please elaborate a little how you do these - do you whip up the eggs or just crack them in? What temp do you bake them? I remember you mentioning the muffin tin eggs on another thread and I love the idea. I think it would suit us very well around here
Cristeen - Do you mean you make these with a crust? Or you just cook it right in the muffin tins? What do you use to grease the tins? Butter I assume?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Not sure about nutritional status of my breakfasts, but...

I love scrambled eggs, good whole wheat toast and a little butter on the toast.

Oatmeal with milk, sugar and nuts.

Whole wheat toast with butter or butter and honey or blackberry all-fruit, and a glass of milk.

Lately, though, I've been eating a bowl of cold cereal ( raisen bran or grapenuts) and it's just because I've been lazy and out of the good wheat bread, which is my normal fast breakfast.

I like bacon with my eggs sometimes and if we have leftover chicken or beef, I am happy to eat that for breakfast.

I used to like yogurt a lot, but not so much lately.

After reading this thread, I am hungry.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 AM

My idea of the perfect b/fast is:
Miso soup, steamed fish, rice w/ tamari & sesame seeds, kimchi.
Now if i could only be bothered making it...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Funny, after taking nutrition classes in college, I was convined that the "perfect breakfast" was a high-fiber, iron-fortified cereal with skim milk and a glass of orange juice fortified with calcium. Ugh! I don't eat a single one of those foods anymore.

I really like oatmeal with tons of things in it - a mashed banana, honey or maple syrup, ground flax seed, nuts or nut butter, coconut or coconut oil. I have to have lots of fat in it. This and a piece of fruit (which I usually eat later as a snack) and some herbal tea is great for me.

I also love scrambled eggs with veggies topped with avocado and salsa.

And miso soup made with bone broth, tofu, carrots, mushrooms, and seaweed. Yum!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM

DD loves oatmeal cooked w/about 1/2 T of coconut oil, lots of cinnamon, and some powdered fenugreek seed (gives it some maple flavor, and helps prevent blood sugar spikes). Sometimes, she'll have an egg fried in butter on the side.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oatmeal with fruit and yogurt, maybe some honey if I'm feeling wild (and it's not frozen in its pot!

I couldn't process a morning without some carbs. Protien is great, but my body burns it fast. I know 'everyone' is all up in low carb la-la land, but I would die of Carb deprivation! I'm good from 8 until about 10, when I get into some cheese or an apple, then about 1ish for lunch. I'm kinda a grazer!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
Cristeen - Do you mean you make these with a crust? Or you just cook it right in the muffin tins? What do you use to grease the tins? Butter I assume?
So, for the egg muffins, there are a couple ways to do them. The easiest for me is to take some chopped up leftover meat (fully cooked), and put about a Tbs in the bottom of each muffin cup. Top with about a Tbs of chopped veg. You can scramble the eggs together or crack them in whole. They're both good, but each has a different texture, so I alternate between them. My muffin tins hold 1 egg per cup.

I use a silicone muffin pan, which doesn't need greasing. A non-stick pan would require heavy greasing, and you must remove the muffins while they're still warm or they'll glue themselves in (this recipe is why I switched to silicone). I've never worked with a cast iron muffin pan.

Alternately you can take a thin slice of meat (ham, turkey, etc.), and line the muffin cup with it, then crack the egg into it, the meat forms a cup around the egg and sticking isn't as much of a problem. Don't make them with paper liners, because you'll lose most of the egg to the paper.

I generally top my muffins with a pinch of shredded cheese and a shake of tabasco, pinch of salt before baking. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, they should be set and starting to brown around the edges. I make them on the weekend and just eat them cold all week. 2 muffins is 2 scrambled eggs with meat, cheese and veg, which is a great breakfast for me.

For the custards, I have 1 c ramekins that will stack on themselves in the fridge. Each one will hold 2 eggs, 1/2 c milk, 2 Tbs of honey and some berries. Bake at 300F for 60 minutes in a water bath. Again, these get made on the weekend and eaten cold all week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM

DH's perfect breakfast is miso soup and his green drink

DS's perfect breakfast is rice with a raw egg cracked on top. Add some cooked mackarel and a few nori sprinkles. He likes this every day. I usually try to give him some fruit as well.

DD's perfect breakfast includes her green drink, homemade yogurt with a fruit (blueberries, strawberries, banana, peaches, raspberries, homemade applesauce) topped with some granola.

My perfect breakfast is broiled salmon, stir fried veggies, a small amount of rice, miso, and pickles. About two hours later I do my green drink.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishajane View Post
My idea of the perfect b/fast is:
Miso soup, steamed fish, rice w/ tamari & sesame seeds, kimchi.
Now if i could only be bothered making it...
If we are talking about perfect breakfast then someone else definatly cooked mine - preferably Johnny Depp....

I have soups for breakfast a lot. Often left overs from the day before's lunch - I love soup at this time of year so having it twice a day is fine by me! I usually add a hard boiled egg (or a slice of toast if I'm not trying to lose weight) as well.
My kids usually have oats for breakfast. Baked oatmeal, 'breakfast cookies' (same kind of thing, made in cookie shapes), staffordshire oat cakes (very much like blender batter pancakes), porridge etc. They sometimes have fried or scrambled eggs. That with a big glass of milk is great for them.

Love the idea of the berry custards! I bet my kids would love those.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Miso soup sounds pretty popular. I only vaguely know what it is. Is it hard to make? Is it hearty? What exactly does it taste like? I can't eat fish in any form, unfortunately, so I hope that isn't a main ingredient!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

I forgot to mention something in my previous post. . .In our house we are really trying to avoid dessert for breakfast; things like pancakes, french toast, waffles, donuts, pretty much anything with added sugar. Since living in Japan I've come to realize just how much sugar we do eat in the US. . .starting with breakfast. It's funny, here in Japan they do eat pancakes, french toast, donuts, and waffles; however, they are considered desserts or sweet snacks. DD once had some Japanese friends overnight. In the morning we thought we would surprise them with Belgian waffles for breakfast with all the toppings. They were so confused, they asked DD why we were eating dessert for breakfast. This really got me thinking about why we do this and what are the ramifications. I'm not saying we should all eat a Japanese diet for breakfast, just stay away from the added sugar (fruit is okay I think as long as there is a protein, and some fat with it)

Miso Soup Question
I saw in a pp that someone makes miso soup with bone broths?!!? I've never heard of this. In our house we make our miso by boiling kombu (then removing), boiling katsuoboshi (dried fish flakes, or just dried fish (then removing), turn off heat and whisk in miso paste through a strainer. . .then add whatever (tofu, wakame, green onions, dried shitake, etc. . .)

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Miso soup sounds pretty popular. I only vaguely know what it is. Is it hard to make? Is it hearty? What exactly does it taste like? I can't eat fish in any form, unfortunately, so I hope that isn't a main ingredient!
Oh, yes, I am the bone broth miso soup person. I use bone broth anywhere I would use water - like for cooking rice or beans, or soup. I like to get nutrients wherever I can.

Anyways, miso soup is extremely easy and very versatile. All you need is some miso (which is made of soy, no fish) and water and some seaweed and then whatever else you want in it.

I usually bring my broth or water (if I'm out of broth) to a simmer along with some crushed seaweed of some kind and any hard veggies I want - like sliced carrots or dried mushrooms. I also add a splash of tamari, rice vinegar, and fish sauce to it for flavor (you can adjust these to your liking). I simmer it until the carrots are soft. In another bowl, I put a spoon of miso paste and mix this with a little bit of water so that it becomes more liquidy and less blobby. Then, I let the soup cool slightly (if too hot, it will kill the good bacteria in the miso) and pour it into my soup and stir until the miso is mixed in. I usually add cubed tofu on top and scallions if I have them.

If I have some leftover rice I need to use, sometimes I'll stir that in just long enough for it to warm up.

This morning, I hardly had any food in the house, so I just used water with splashes of the liquid seasonings and some seaweed, then stirred in the miso. Made a great "tea."
Old 12-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Could you share exactly how you make the egg "muffins" please? I'm assuming they're grain free? Do they just slip out of the muffin tins easily or do you have to spray them first? B/c I hate using cooking spray. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
Could you share exactly how you make the egg "muffins" please? I'm assuming they're grain free? Do they just slip out of the muffin tins easily or do you have to spray them first? B/c I hate using cooking spray. Thanks!
Check out post #39, the instructions are in there. I don't use cooking spray, even when I was using nonstick, I use a pastry brush and a fat of some kind (butter, oil, CO).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I made the best dinner tonight but I think it would make a GREAT breakfast - stuffed tomatoes.

I hollowed out a tomato, and mixed the scooped out tomato with mozzarella, bread crumbs, my favorite spices, meat, and chopped veggies, and olive oil, then put it back in the tomato. I baked it for about 25 min and it was FABULOUS!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I made the best dinner tonight but I think it would make a GREAT breakfast - stuffed tomatoes.

I hollowed out a tomato, and mixed the scooped out tomato with mozzarella, bread crumbs, my favorite spices, meat, and chopped veggies, and olive oil, then put it back in the tomato. I baked it for about 25 min and it was FABULOUS!
It SOUNDS fabulous!

And I agree with Rainbow 2911, if we are talking "Perfect" it would be cooked by someone else and Johnny Depp would do just fine, thank you very much.

P.S. This morning I had oatmeal, brown sugar, broken up pieces of pecan and whole milk in it all. I know I could sub honey or maple syrup or do without the sweetener, but for me this is a " good " breakfast compared to some of the things I used to eat...(poptarts, a Coke, nothing, Italian bread dipped in olive oil, cold Dominoe's pizza, etc.) Slow progress being made here...so I try not to stress over the brown sugar right now. I have cut way back on sweets/refined carbs...I figure a little bit is not an issue right now. I'm on a journey...I'm not "there" yet.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 12-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Those stuffed tomatoes idea sounds great! I would only do them for dinner though, as I strongly refuse to do that amount of work/cooking for breakfast!

I'm still thinking the home-made soup idea sounds the healthiest, and simplest if make a batch ahead of time and freeze it in portions.

Lately I've just been having a lucozade energy drink, really gets me going in the morning and tastes great.....not very healthy though.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Yes, I definitely agree that anything cooked by Johnny Depp for my breakfast & served in bed would be just about perfect. I think I could probably even eat fish in the morning if it were cooked just right.

This morning I had leftover chicken pie for breakfast- which was very yum but probably not so healthy on the fat & salt side. :

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM

My kids definitely need some protein in the morning.
Although they have a bowl of whole grain boxed cereal, I usually follow it up with some protein.

We love, love, love these precooked chicken breakfast links from Trader Joes.
They are in the refridgerated section and have good wholesome ingredients. Whole Foods sells the same brand. I just pop them in the microwave for 25 seconds and they are ready to eat.

I also give the kids whole wheat tortillas with a smear of cream cheese or peanut butter.

I also buy these Morningstar Country scramble things. They look sort of like chicken nuggets. They are breaded things with an egg, sausage, veggie scramble inside.

I personally eat either a fruit smoothie with protein powder, flax oil and a huge handful of spinach, or I make scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and spinach.

I want to try these egg muffins! This would be a perfect substitute for those morningstar things on school mornings. So, do you freeze them? And then microwave them? Or if you cooked them and kept them in the fridge, how long do you think they would last?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I want to try these egg muffins! This would be a perfect substitute for those morningstar things on school mornings. So, do you freeze them? And then microwave them? Or if you cooked them and kept them in the fridge, how long do you think they would last?
No, I don't freeze them, and we don't put food in the microwave, we just eat them cold. They keep nicely for a week, with the caveat that they're fully cooked before you pull them out. I pack them into a ziploc bag in the fridge. If they're still a little runny when you pull them out, they get kinda yucky after about 3 days.

User Tag List