Christmas Breakfast Casserole? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a fabulous recipe for a make ahead breakfast casserole? I've never made one and want to try this year. The one's I'm finding online have processed stuff that I don't like to use, frozen hash browns & corn flakes for example. Anyone have something healthier?

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 AM

Well, not really healthy, but you don't have to use processed foods. We seem to use a different recipe every year, but it usually consists of an egg/milk mixture that we pour over bread cubes layered with meat (we usually use sausage, but ham and bacon are both good, too) and shredded or cubed cheese. You can add veggies to make it a little more healthy, but we're usually feeding non-vegetable eaters, so we stick with the bread/custard/meat/cheese formula. Let it sit overnight and bake in the morning, super easy!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#3 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 AM

I would consider substituting oatmeal for corn flakes, a chopped potato (boiled or baked until it's not quite done before cooking) and some canola oil for hash browns.

Casseroles are very hard to mess up and are substitution friendly
#4 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just like to have a tried 'n true recipe first time out -before I tweak! -Especially on Christmas morning with the in-laws here.

Tjsmama, you don't have an exact recipe do you?
#5 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM

I have an awesome crustless breakfast quiche (made in a deep dish pie plate) that is delicious and very nice looking.
It's incredibly fattening though.
I'm sure it could be lightned up, but I would try it in advance so it doesn't end up too runny on Christmas morning. I only eat it once a year, so I don't lighten it up. It's super easy too, if you have the filling ingredients (bacon, sausage) cooked in advance and ready to go.

4 Eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1TBSP flour
2 TBSP melted butter
pinch of salt
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated swiss cheese
filling (cooked crumbled bacon, sausage, sauteed veggies)

Beat all ingredients (except cheeses) with a whisk until blended. Grease a pie dish, scatter mixture of cheddar and swiss cheeses over bottom of pie dish. Add whatever you want (crumbled cooked bacon, cooked sausage, sauteed mushrooms or veggies), then pour egg mixture on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes until custard is firm, puffy and slightly brown.

Serve with fresh fruit and some sort of pastry on Christmas morning, enjoy!!
#6 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Well, not really healthy, but you don't have to use processed foods. We seem to use a different recipe every year, but it usually consists of an egg/milk mixture that we pour over bread cubes layered with meat (we usually use sausage, but ham and bacon are both good, too) and shredded or cubed cheese. You can add veggies to make it a little more healthy, but we're usually feeding non-vegetable eaters, so we stick with the bread/custard/meat/cheese formula. Let it sit overnight and bake in the morning, super easy!
Sounds pretty much like mine. We add cream of mushroom soup to the egg/milk mixture to pour over everything, but that can be eliminated. It's tasty!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#7 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

does anyone have one that doesn't involve lots of eggs? i hate eggs (taste and texture) and all the casseroles i've seen are heavily egg based.
#8 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
does anyone have one that doesn't involve lots of eggs? i hate eggs (taste and texture) and all the casseroles i've seen are heavily egg based.

You could try something completely different like pigs in a blanket or some type of crepes. I can't really think of any casserole strata that doesn't have eggs.
#9 of 16 Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM

DS recently took a cooking class. He made a yummy breakfast recipe. Grease some muffin pans. Next get some crescent roll type dough and cut the whole thing into small squares. Press a "square" into each muffin holder. Then add a mix of ham or bacon,sausage into it. Follow with some grated cheese of your choice and some finely chopped veggies that have been gently sauteed. I omitted the eggs

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#10 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czen:) View Post
I just like to have a tried 'n true recipe first time out -before I tweak! -Especially on Christmas morning with the in-laws here.

Tjsmama, you don't have an exact recipe do you?
MIL is keeper of the recipes, since we spend xmas at her house, but I found this one that looks very similar to ones we've made in the past. HTH!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#11 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 AM

I made a delicious strata from the Cook's Illustrated holiday cookie edition from this year for our Thanksgiving breakfast. I made an egg/spinach/guyere version, but have been pondering ways to change it up (even though it was totally delicious!) for Christmas morning.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#12 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 AM

I love baked french toast. I don't have a recipe, per se, but I will write the instructions.

Baked French Toast

1 loaf (or two, if what you are using is very small) cinnamon raisin bread
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
4 eggs
3 cups milk (or cream, if you want it really rich)

Cover the bottom of a 9" X 13" baking dish with bread. I actually use two baking dishes for my family (9X13 and 9X9). Cover each slice with cream cheese. Layer another slice of bread over the cream cheese, and cover that with the remaining cream cheese. Place eggs in mixing bowl, and beat well. Add milk, and mix well. Pour egg mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, set oven to 350F, and bake french toast for 1 hour. Uncover after the first 30 min. Bake until french toast is lightly browned and puffy. Serve with warmed maple syrup.
#13 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM

I wouldn't classify this as healthy, but it's sooo good!

Sleepin' in Omelet

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#14 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Great help everybody. I'm leaning toward the Sleepin' in Omelet. it looks delicous, easy, and filling.

Thanks!
#15 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 PM

This one isn't at all healthy but I made it last year. Its delicious!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 16 Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 PM

I make one every year. I brown about a pound of mild sausage. While it's browning, toast slices of whatever bread you prefer, about 6 slices or so for a 9x12 pan. Blend 4-6 eggs, 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Add a bit of salt, pepper and powdered mustard.

I mix it all together and pour into a 9x12 Pyrex pan. Let it sit overnight in the fridge, then bake for about 45 minutes at 350 or so, or until custard (i.e. eggs & milk) are set. Super yum.

1 lb sausage

6 slices bread of your choice

4-6 eggs

2-3 cups milk

2 cups shredded cheese

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page