How do you eat your oatmeal/hot cereal? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cook mine in the crockpot with a little bit of salt. When it's done in the morning the kids love it with brown sugar or maple syrup. I like mine with brown sugar too and sometimes I like it with strawberries or blueberries
#32 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM

we've started soaking oats over night, we do oats with almond milk and then add a combination of "others" including but not limited to: millet, quinoa, sunflower seeds, raisins, dried apples, fried apples, banana, butter, honey, brown sugar, cinamon, etc

grits i like savory, salt and pepper, cheese, fried egg on top,

but my housemates eat grits like oatmeal above
#33 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM

I have come up with some tasty oatmeal combinations, as well as dh. we don't eat it very much but our son has had oatmeal for breakfast everyday since he started eating solid food. I take granny smith apples and simmer them with a little bit of cinnamon, then throw some raisins on top. That's his favorite. Also i simmer whole cranberries, peach slices, and brown sugar and mix it in with his oatmeal. Can't go wrong!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#34 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 07:17 PM

We do agave, cinnamon, fruit, ground flaxseed and almond milk.
#35 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM

I like butter and some maple syrup in my oatmeal.

Grits I like butter, salt and pepper. If I'm feeling fancy I like to put bacon crumbles and a fried egg in there. mmmmm!

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#36 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM

We don't them anymore here, but growing up mom fixed oatmeal a lot- oats were always w/ brown sugar, butter, and bacon. Rice was served w/ cinnamon, sugar and sausage.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#37 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
We don't them anymore here, but growing up mom fixed oatmeal a lot- oats were always w/ brown sugar, butter, and bacon. Rice was served w/ cinnamon, sugar and sausage.
All in the same bowl, or is the meat on the side?

Either way it sounds yum.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#38 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM

I eat mine with milk, and either brown sugar or maple syrup. Sometimes, I throw in raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped dried apricots. About a third of the time, I stir cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves into the oatmeal before adding the milk.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#39 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Most of the time, I just chop up a banana or add some berries... and then a bit of milk and brown sugar.

If I'm feeling decadent, I'll add some chopped almonds as well.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#40 of 48 Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
All in the same bowl, or is the meat on the side?

Either way it sounds yum.
All in the same bowl, crumbled up- it is/was very yummy! Only way to eat oatmeal- the salty meat is supper yummy with the brown sugar and butter.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#41 of 48 Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 AM

I like mine with raisins, cinnamon, honey, sunflower seeds and a little bit of cream.
#42 of 48 Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 AM

Depends on whats in the pantry, but I always cook it with raisins (put them in with the oatmeal while it cooks). I add cinnamon, sometimes nutmeg and allspice, and some form of dairy product: cream or whole milk if I have it, or two percent milk, and usually butter too. I'd love to try using buttermilk in it, since its so good for you, but I never have it around. I also usually use a bit of some sort of sweetener, though I've switched from brown sugar to maple syrup or honey.

I also soak my oatmeal overnight in water with a touch of yogurt and besides getting rid of the phytic acid, it reduces cooking time (steel cut oatmeal in 5 minutes!!) and brings out a nutty flavor. And its so easy to do. The cooking times are partly what really sold me. I mean, it turns steel cut oats from a sunday breakfast thing into an everyday cook it quick meal.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#43 of 48 Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM

We make steel cut oats that have been toasted in butter, then boiled in a 1 part milk/3 parts water mixture. I top them with a fried egg or two (runny yellow) and salt and pepper. YUM!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#44 of 48 Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm originally from the deep south so my heart belongs to grits-n-gravy for breakfast. BUT, my family (danged yankees) absolutely hates grits so...

We like steel cut oats w/honey and butter, and I make regular oatmeal with apples and cinnamon...yum! On the rare occassion I can get away with grits I make either cheese grits or grits and gravy...man I love grits...LOL

Bellevuemama

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#45 of 48 Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM

With my cream of buckwheat I LOVE to have a cut up banana, a bit of turbinado, chopped walnuts, vanilla, and whole raw milk

Other times I'll cook it with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, turbinado, and a bit of milk.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#46 of 48 Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM

oatmeal on a daily basis w/rice milk and a dallop of local honey.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#47 of 48 Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Growing up, we put butter in the bottom, and brown sugar topped with the oatmeal, raisins and milk. sometimes my mom would add salt.

Now, i like it cooked with apples, and brown sugar, cinnamon and almond butter, and a tiny bit of milk.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#48 of 48 Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 PM

ideally, coconut, walnuts, brown sugar/sucanat, milk or cream, or vanilla yogurt. If I put dried fruit or fresh fruit in, I need very little sugar.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page