US baby milk without corn syrup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there such a thing?? I'm just curious, we EBF. I was looking at a german snack range and they do an organic baby milk, the ingredients seemed fine, no corn syrup I hear people talking about.

Are there better options for mothers in the US that don't BF? If not, why??

Hope this is in the right place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The only US formula on the market that's corn free is ready to feed Similac Alimentum. All others including the $$$ ones like Neocate and Elecare contain corn or corn syrup.

Seriously?
#3 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a reason for it that I am just missing? I just know it's often a reason why people say formula isn't healthy, but our experience has been that it was fortified cows milk

Just one of those things you think about when your up late nursing your baby I guess
#4 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Baby’s Only Organic is made without corn products. They use brown rice syrup. Despite the name, it's not infant formula. They only make products for children ages 1-13. The option is not for mothers who don't breastfeed, but for children's nutritional needs after exclusive breastfeeding.

Here's from elsewhere on their site: "The lactose used in formulas is derived from cow’s milk without the benefit of the unique features of human breast milk. In formulas containing only lactose as the source of carbohydrate, some of the lactose comes into the formula naturally as a part of the cow’s milk and the remainder is added lactose. The added lactose brings the total carbohydrate level to the requirement needed in a formula. In other words, the amount of lactose that comes in naturally with the cow’s milk does not totally meet the needs of a baby and additional lactose must be added. The only lactose contained in Baby’s Only Organic® Dairy Formula is naturally occurring lactose derived from organic cow’s milk."
#5 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM

my guess... Corn Lobby. (or, politics baby!) I've a few friends who have corn-sensitive children (not just HFCS). It's positively RIDICULOUS how much of our food products have corn-derived additives.
#6 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

they dont sell corn syrup here even
#7 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to Nutrition.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm going to move this to Nutrition.
OK, I put it in the other forum as I find it pretty bad the formula companies do this, I thought it was the right place
#9 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieFaye View Post
Baby’s Only Organic is made without corn products. They use brown rice syrup. Despite the name, it's not infant formula. They only make products for children ages 1-13. The option is not for mothers who don't breastfeed, but for children's nutritional needs after exclusive breastfeeding.

Here's from elsewhere on their site: "The lactose used in formulas is derived from cow’s milk without the benefit of the unique features of human breast milk. In formulas containing only lactose as the source of carbohydrate, some of the lactose comes into the formula naturally as a part of the cow’s milk and the remainder is added lactose. The added lactose brings the total carbohydrate level to the requirement needed in a formula. In other words, the amount of lactose that comes in naturally with the cow’s milk does not totally meet the needs of a baby and additional lactose must be added. The only lactose contained in Baby’s Only Organic® Dairy Formula is naturally occurring lactose derived from organic cow’s milk."
But Baby's Only can be used as an infant formula. I use it for my son.
#10 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 04:16 PM

i have a can of enfamil lipil here and there are no corn products in it, unless its highly disguised.

I also have some samples of Similac, the kind they send home at the hospital (I requested it, since I had one breastfed and one bottle fed, 13 months apart in age) and that doesn't say anything about corn (it doesn't have an ingredient list being a sample,) but I am surprised, in looking at it, to discover that it a milk/soy combo.

my DD drinks Meijer brand Toddler Formula and that does have corn syrup.
#11 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
But Baby's Only can be used as an infant formula. I use it for my son.
Right. It's as nutritionally complete as any infant formula on the market, but they're not officially sold as "infant" formula. The company does this because they want to support breastfeeding, but have their product available in case a child needs to be supplemented or if breastfeeding isn't possible for that individual child. Additionally, I think it saves them money (saving the consumers money) by not becoming "officially certified" to be sold as infant formula.

If I ever needed to formula feed, it's the first brand of formula I'd buy for my baby, as it's a company I'd be comfortable supporting. However, if my baby didn't tolerate it and NEEDED to be on formula, I'd use whatever my baby needed- even if it meant supporting a company I despised. Also, if I needed formula and qualified for WIC, I'd probably use whatever brand WIC supplied, as I may not be able to justify the cost of "out of pocket" formula in my budget.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#12 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

why do the big ones have corn syrup though? Any more ideas?
#13 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM

is enfamil not a big one?
#14 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
The only US formula on the market that's corn free is ready to feed Similac Alimentum. All others including the $$$ ones like Neocate and Elecare contain corn or corn syrup.
I think this is only when you're looking at formulas that are safe for milk intolerant children, I just looked up soy and it's made w/ corn syrup as well. I looked at the ingredients for the Enfamil Lipil and pp is correct, there is no corn syrup in it. Corn syrup is used in milk alternative formulas b/c it needs a replacement for the milk and this is either easiest or right now there are no alternatives. The rtf Alimentum has sucrose in it which is generally corn based, but not as problematic as the corn syrup solids.

My kids use Neocate, it's what they have to use when they need formula. It's not ideal, but there really aren't any other options for them w/ my supply issues and their allergies.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#15 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

their websites says they use it for some
#16 of 18 Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
their websites says they use it for some
The Enfamil Lipil is their milk based formula. Prosobee and Nutramigen are their alternative formulas and do have it in them.

#17 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
why do the big ones have corn syrup though? Any more ideas?
Because it's cheap.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#18 of 18 Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Because it's cheap.
See, I don't think so, at least not as the priority. As I mentioned, the only ones that seem to have corn in them are ones that are NOT milk based. B/c of this, the companies have to find a way to mix up the right amount of calories etc in the right proportions etc. Non-milk based formuls are more expensive than milk based ones, so I don't think it's necessarily b/c it's cheap, but maybe it could be to keep the price down since it's already more expensive. Ilana's Neocate was $37/can, the toddler formula is a little less, but I know people paying upwards of $50/can for it. At Evan's worst, he was going through at least 15 cans a month, thank goodness for WIC and insurance! If there was an alternative that were made w/ something else but it was more expensive, few people would get it, unless their child was having problems w/ the corn in it, which some do, but not many. There was a rice based formula once upon a time iirc, but it's not made anymore for whatever reason.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page