Exploding Pyrex...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have neard numerous stories of exploding Pyrex. Has anyone had this actually happen to them? How did it happen?

Does anyone know if this is an issue with Corningware, too?

And does it matter if you just use it for storing and not heating things up in? Like we have pyrex storage containers that we use instead of plastic, would these be at risk of exploding when just used for storage not heating/cooking?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 AM

Pyrex is tempered glass. So it won't shatter into a million pieces like a window, but it can break apart. This only happens if you subject it to extreme temperature changes. Like taking a hot pan out of the oven and putting it directly on the cold counter. Or taking a chilled cup out of the oven & pouring boiling water in it. It's safe to microwave in it, since the glass is heating up at the same rate as the contents.

So, to avoid 'exploding' Pyrex, insulate it. For example, when taking it out of the oven, place it on a couple dish towels set on the counter. If you want to pour a really hot liquid into it, run it under warm then hot water in the sink until the piece feels warm. Dry off & pour in your hot liquid. Oh, and don't place your Pyrex on anything cold when you are pouring hot liquid in it (& vice versa). You want to keep the temperature shocks to a minimum.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 AM

i don't think it's possible for glass to explode without being heated...shattered if dropped but that's different...

i have a couple of pieces of pyrex that i have been using for a couple of years and no problems with exploding or anything of that nature. never heard of it doing that either. where did you hear this?

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 AM

I've had this happen twice, same way both times.

I took a pot roast out of the oven and set it down on a hot pad so I could add some vegetables. While I was getting the veg from the refrigerator, there was a huge explosion behind me. I turn around and saw that the damn pan had exploded. Fortunately I was just outside the spray zone for the glass shards, so I didn't get hit.

The first time, the husband didn't believe me when I called him, but he came right home to clean it up for me. He was appalled at how much glass there was around the kitchen.

After the second time, we don't use Pyrex any more. My MIL has done this a couple of times, too.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Banned

Any glass will explode if exposed to temperature shocks. Pyrex breaks into small pieces that aren't sharp (though they can still hurt you when they're moving at speed).
Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 AM

The only person I know who it happened to put a pyrex baking dish directly on a hot burner ... and then it was more an issue of breaking than outright exploding. I've been heavily using pyrex bakeware for about twenty years (and my god how that realization makes me feel old ) without problems ... I don't worry about it.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 AM

I posted about this happening to me a few months ago in MHM. I'm not sure why mine did, it was a room temperature glass going into an oven. The glass needs to be heatedd in order to break apart. Luckily it was inside my over so it was at least contained.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Years and years ago this happened to my ex-Aunt. We were there for dinner and she made a big bowl of rice. She had put the rice in the bowl and put it on the table when it exploded. I don't know if the bowl was cold and the rice was really really hot or what caused it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM

It happened to me, but was my own fault. I had left the pan on the stove top and turned on a burner under what I thought was a pot of water- wrong! The burner was on under the Pyrex and it exploded into hundreds of shards within moments.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 AM

I had this happen to me once when I took a pyrex straight from the fridge and popped it into the oven. The pyrex was pretty old (I think I stole it from my parent's house) so I'm wondering if that was the reason?!!? I've never had this happen again though and I often take things right out of the fridge and into the oven. . .

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM

I've exploded a Pyrex container before, but it wasn't because it was Pyrex, it was because I did something boneheaded that would explode ANYTHING glass -- I put a glass brownie pan on the stove to cool, right on top of a burner, and then went to make tea...and turned on the wrong burner. Oops.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Once.

I set a Pyrex dish on a burner...I THOUGHT was "Off". The explosion was deafening...and glass was EVERYWHERE!!! EVERYWHERE!!! Thank the Lord we were NOT in the Kitchen!

Mrs B
Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
It happened to me, but was my own fault. I had left the pan on the stove top and turned on a burner under what I thought was a pot of water- wrong! The burner was on under the Pyrex and it exploded into hundreds of shards within moments.
MIL did this at my house. Thank goodness she'd stepped away from the stove - the burning hot shards of glass melted the linoleum in several places in our kitchen. SIL took a hot pan out of the oven and put it on the counter when she was in middle school and I think my inlaws got new counters and floors from insurance because there was so much damage when it exploded.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I set a Pyrex dish on a burner...I THOUGHT was "Off". The explosion was deafening...and glass was EVERYWHERE!!! EVERYWHERE!!! Thank the Lord we were NOT in the Kitchen!
Same here. Only I was in the kitchen and somehow got a hot piece of glass on the bottom of my foot. Scared the living crap out of me.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM

I had this happen once when I was in grad school. Took a Pyrex dish out of a hot (350 degree) oven and set it on the cold stovetop. Took about six steps away when I heard this loud noise and felt sharp stabbing pains down my back/legs. My first thought was that someone had fired a shotgun through our window. Then I turned and saw my casserole/bits of glass all over the kitchen. And, yes, the dish DID shatter into a thousand tiny pieces.

Thankfully, I was wearing a heavy sweater and skirt that shielded me from the bulk of the flying glass (though both had to be thrown away afterward). I spent about an hour picking bits of glass out of the back of my legs, kept finding odd bits of glass in my hair for a day or two, and am not sure we ever got all the glass out of the kitchen. We were living in a mobile home, so it was embedded in the ceiling, walls, floor, etc.

NOT a fun experience, and according to the customer service folks at Pyrex, not an uncommon one either.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM

I've heard of it happening, but its not happend to me (yet - :knock on wood. I think its mostly about using common sense when using it and not exposing it to super huge temperature changes. But who knows
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
2xy

I baked some chicken in a Pyrex dish a few years back, and the chicken drippings were drying up while it was in the oven, so I went to add a bit of water to the pan, and the pan shattered.

And yes, it broke into a gazillion pieces, just like regular glass. And the chicken was ruined, so we ordered pizza.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 PM

i did this once back in middle school. i had made something and while the pan had cooled a little it was still pretty warm and for some reason i didn't want to wait for it to cool more so i poured cool water into it. a few seconds later it broke with a loud pop into 4 or 5 large pieces. while it scared my mother it was more of just a learning experience for me. overall pryex is pretty hard to break and i've used it since then without any incidents- including the times i've managed to drop it although i'm sure that was just luck!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 PM
AJP

This thread makes me want to not cook in tempered glass anymore. I broke a piece once (not Pyrex, I think it was Corningware) but it was totally my fault, I added liquid to it when it was hot, and it did shatter into hundreds of very sharp daggers (I wasn't injured, but I sat down and cried because it had belonged to my mom, who died when I was a teenager). I've never had one break other than that, and I know to avoid temperature shock, but now I'm nervous hearing these stories. Maybe this is a good excuse to acquire some more enameled cast iron and stoneware.

There is no secret ingredient.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 PM

I've heard all sorts of stories and read all sorts of articles on why this happens. So I take some basic precautions with my pyrex, which I use almost daily, and haven't had a problem.

Never put a cold pyrex dish into a hot oven. I put the dish into the oven while it's cold and then turn the oven on. Same goes for if the item in the dish is frozen, that'll chill the glass, so it also goes into a cold oven. Never put a hot pyrex dish on anything cold OR WET. If you're placing it on a trivet on a tile countertop (or other cold surface), be sure the trivet is large enough or use two. Never pour hot liquid into a cold pyrex or one that is sitting on a cold surface. Never pour cold liquid into a hot pyrex.

Essentially I treat it the same way I treat my canning jars. Avoid all thermal shock.

That being said, if you can get your hands on European Pyrex, it doesn't have the problems US Pyrex does, because it is made of a different type of glass.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 12-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Thanks everyone!

I've added cold water to hot corningware, gone straight from fridge to hot oven, etc, with no problems. I only had one break when it rolled off the dish drainer (which had been loaded up with little thought to physics) and cracked on the kitchen floor. I think I also found some broken pieces when unpackimg boxes after moving.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-25-2008, 09:23 PM

I put two very cold chickens in a Pyrex dish once and stuck them in a 400 degree oven. Not exactly a genius move. The pan exploded into a million teensy pieces. I'm just glad my oven door didn't blow off! I'm a little more careful with Pyrex now.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM

It's happened to my DH and my friend with pans of mine.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM

I watched someone explode a pyrex dish. She was baking a roast or something and proceeded to pour a glass of cold water onto it (for whatever reason) and the temp change immediately caused it to break into 100 pieces. Extreme temp changes not good.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM

This happened to me and my aunt under the same circumstances. We both added cold water after removing the pyrex from the oven.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 12-26-2008, 01:59 PM

wow. scary. i have a fear of broken glass. and this is nightmarish. this has not happened to me, but we do have glass cookware, and a teenage son, so we need to have a chat. good info. i also have a 3 year old and can imagine how terrible this could be if the glass exploded while he is in the kitchen with me. wow.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:07 PM

I've never had it happen.

babyf.gif

Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM

I would assume that you would treat Corningware the same as Pyrex, since it is also a glass product. So, no fast extreme temp. changes for either product just to be on the safe side.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:21 PM

I had an exploding pyrex experience once. I was baking squash and it ran out of water. I opened the oven and my 2yo son was standing right beside me. I had never heard of exploding pyrex. My 2yo ran off into another room. I put a little water onto the squash and the whole thing exploded with a huge bang and millions of tiny shards flew out of my oven several feet away! It flew out sideways, luckily and didn't cut me and luckily my son wasn't in the room anymore.

No more pyrex here. I threw it all away and got metal or stonewear. I do use corningware occationally, but make sure that I'm cooking something quick with lots of liquid so it doesn't get hot. I don't take it out of the oven hot, I wait for it to cool first. I'm afraid that whatever I put it on will be too cool and will make it explode like the pyrex did.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

User Tag List