ideas for thickening gravy or stew without flour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using egg yolk, but my cousins' kid can't eat eggs, and they're coming over tomorrow. I can't eat any grains, so flour is out. I remember hearing about using pureed onion, but that doesn't sound like it would work to me. Is there any other idea I can try?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Mashed potato works well or potato starch. You can just grate a potato into your stew and as it simmers down, the potato will "dissolve" into the sauce thickening it. You do have to use a starchy potato like a russet rather than a waxy potato like a red for the best results. Of course you can do the same with sweet potato. Or you can use potato flakes if you have them. Just add them a little bit at a time, stir them in until you get a good consistency.

With stand-alone pan gravy it's more difficult. I did make a very nice pan sauce recently by simmering some homemade stock down (from about 5 cups to under 1), and then just before serving stirring in a pat of butter, which is a classic way of thickening a sauce. It doesn't reheat well though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Can you use arrowroot powder? I'm not sure if it is considered a grain or not, so pardon me if it is.
#4 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Does corn starch count? It is an awesome thickening agent, and I use it all the time for soups and stews.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#5 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM

For stews, a pureed onion works wonderfully. Otherwise, you can also use coconut flour. The coconut flour expands a lot, so use sparingly and wait a few minutes after stirring to add more.
#6 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If they can do corn then corn starch mixed in a bit of cold water will work well. I've been using potato flakes in my potato and ham soup to really thicken it up since i hate watery soup.

Seriously?
#7 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 AM

It wouldn't work for gravy, but to thicken a stew, you can take several cups of the stew and puree in a blender, then add back to the pot. It gives the stew a smoother, creamier feel rather than being so watery.

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#8 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 02:24 PM

i second arrowroot i am just in love with it and it is so much better than flour or starch
#9 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, arrowroot and corn starch are out, and so are potatoes, unfortunately. I forgot to say so. I don't eat any starches at all. (the specific carbohydrate diet) I'll try the onion, I think. Thanks for the ideas, though.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are fibers/gums out also? I've used xanthan gum to thicken gravy. It's all fiber, no net carbs- perfect for gluten free, egg free, low carb diets, but I'm not familiar enough with SCD to know if this is a good choice for you. Could you have mashed pumpkin, or is that too starchy for you?

You could make two gravies; one with egg and one with flour, or you could skip the gravy, or leave the gravy more watery. For thickening stews, forget the thickening and call it a chunky soup instead of a stew.

What's on the menu that needs thickening?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#11 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Are fibers/gums out also? I've used xanthan gum to thicken gravy. It's all fiber, no net carbs- perfect for gluten free, egg free, low carb diets, but I'm not familiar enough with SCD to know if this is a good choice for you. Could you have mashed pumpkin, or is that too starchy for you?

You could make two gravies; one with egg and one with flour, or you could skip the gravy, or leave the gravy more watery. For thickening stews, forget the thickening and call it a chunky soup instead of a stew.

What's on the menu that needs thickening?
I can eat fresh pumpkin, and I just happen to have one right now. How would that work?

Xanthen gum is on the illegal list-- I just checked. I'm kind of at the point where I am going to thicken separate gravy for the child, and do egg for the rest of us. I like it that way. It's pot roasted beef.

#12 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 PM

You could do pureed white beans that makes a nice thickener

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page