Good pinto bean recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a bag of pinto beans and I'd like to make pinto beans and cornbread. Anyone have a good recipe for the pinto beans?
#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 PM

I made these last summer when a vegeterian firedn was coming for dinner. They were a huge hit and I have made them about 4 times since! :

http://http://planetgreen.discovery....nto-beans.html

Quote:
Emeril's Vegetarian Pinto Beans
Recipe Courtesy Emeril's Food of Love Productions, 2008
Wed Aug 27 09:30:00 EDT 2008

Yield: 2 quarts

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1⁄2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
6 cups water
1 cup dried pinto beans, soaked in cold water overnight and then drained before use
1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup chopped green onion tops
1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro stems

Method:
In a large heavy saucepan or small Dutch oven, heat the oil until hot. Add the onion and chiles and saute until soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are beginning to get tender, usually 30 to 40 minutes. Add the salt, green onion tops, and cilantro stems and continue to cook until beans are tender but still hold their shape, 45 minutes to 1 hour longer. Serve hot.

Note: beans are even better made a day ahead and reheated gently before serving.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 05:47 PM

It depends what kind of recipe you're looking for...
my sister makes classic brazilian beans and rice (which is what she lived on when she lived down there). There are no measurements really, but here's how to do it...
You can do this with pintos, pink beans, or black beans. You could probably do it with other beans but these are the only ones I've tried.
btw, I do it in the crockpot because it's easier for me that way--when I try to do beans on the stovetop I usually either undercook them and they're crunchy, or I accidentally let them go dry and then they smoke...so I'm all about the crockpot,

chop up onion and garlic and saute in a little veg oil until onions are glassy. Then dump into the crockpot with beans and water and lots of salt. (I do about 1/2 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 2Tbs oil, 1-2Tbs salt, 1 c beans, and 5 c water) Let them cook for around 12 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.
If you do it on the stovetop you'll need to soak the beans overnight beforehand. Saute the onions/garlic in a saucepan and then just add teh beans on top. Simmer, covered, for around 2 hours (maybe more), stirring occasionally, and adding water as needed.
Serve over rice.

For the rice, put chopped onion and garlic (I do the other half of the onion) in a saucepan with the dry rice, and saute in a little veg oil until rice and onions look a little glassy. Then add water and cook rice as normal. my sister says they cook the rice withOUT a lid, so it's not so sticky.

this recipe won't work with olive oil--oo will burn at the sauteeing temperatures. I use corn oil usually.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#4 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM

my recipe is soaked beans, a ham hock and water in a slow cooker for 4-5 hours or so then add a jar of salsa for another hour, remove ham, pour off the liquid and puree with a stick blender. (i save the liquid to cook rice in) shred ham and either return to pureed beans or serve on the side with rice or cornbread.

or you can just partly mash with the liquid and eat in a bowl.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, they all look great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page