Sugar free in 09 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 198 Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad your back on the wagon Wendyland. I know how easy it is to fall off.

I'm ok, not sugar free, but cut the sugar way down. I'm still eating fruit, nuts, eggs and some cheese for snacks.

Quote:
laohaire As I did the first time, I ate totally unsweetened bitter chocolate when cravings hit me the first few days. I only need that crutch for a few days and then I'm fine.
And I love dark baking chocolate....hope I can quit that now.
#32 of 198 Old 01-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Watching your journey and gaining motivation. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#33 of 198 Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone else made an attempt? I had the reeses yesterday, but went right back to no sugar. I was really tired yesterday, but I don't think it was from eating the sugar. I've been sleeping poorly the last few nights. It's probably from the die off of toxins or candida. I usually sleep bad when I'm in detox mode.

I need to come up with a more interesting menu. It's getting kind of bland.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#34 of 198 Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 PM

I want to do this!!! I've been thinking about it for so long. Sugar is my one weakness that I can't seem to overcome. I eat pretty healthy otherwise. I am going to start this next week after I can plan some alternative snacks and go to the store to stock up. I need to be prepared for the cravings! Any other suggestions people have on alternatives (but I don't want artificial sweeteners) that would be great. I'm not going to cut out fruit though. Will that make this easier or harder?

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#35 of 198 Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

The first few days were really hard. I tried to gradually slow down on the sugar, but I think that actually prolonged the pain. When I did cold turkey last year, I was feeling better much faster.

I allowed myself to eat anything else that I wanted that wasn't sugar or processed foods. I nibbled on cheese and whole grain crackers. I've been eating more nuts than usually. I bought some frozen pineapple chunks and would eat a few of those half frozen.

I just started reading potatoes not prozac last night. She has a method that steps you down gradually. It's also been an eye opening book. She said that a lot of people with sugar sensitivities also have problems with alcohol or have direct family members that do. I don't drink. Mainly because I feel sick immediately afterwards. both of my parents were alcoholics and also had sweet tooths.

I don't think eating a little fruit would make it harder. You may want to stick to fruits that are lower in sugar like berries and apples. At least at first. I think a lot of it is trial and error to see what you can handle.

#36 of 198 Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 AM

ok, today was day #1 with no "sugar" but I found that I was eating fruit and had some orange juice and toast with jam (no sugar added, but still it's sweet). So, my question is: should I be cutting back on all sweet things (even fruit) or is it OK to just cut out the added and refined sugar? I'm afraid of going whole hog because I might have serious withdrawal. But then, if I don't go whole hog will I break the addiction? ugh...

#37 of 198 Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

The book Potatoes not prozac has you gradually cut down. She recommends keeping a journal and seeing how much you're eating and at what time. You should eat protein with every meal. and eat three regular meals a day. If you snack, do it intentionally instead of mindlessly and keep them to a minimum. I was pretty much doing those things anyway, so I jumped right in. She also recommends eating a baked potato before bed to raise your tryptophan (sp?) levels during the night. It'll help you for the next day. She said that the 4th day is usually the hardest.

I ate more fruit than normal when I was coming off sugar. It didn't seem to make it any easier.

It's totally worth the withdrawl. I feel great without sugar. I don't ever want to go back. And really, the withdrawl only makes you irritable and gives you a headache. It's not even as bad as having a head cold. Just pretend you're sick and have your family pamper you.

#38 of 198 Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM

We're having a lot of issues getting and staying pregnant, and my midwife appt yesterday has really inspired me to fix my diet. For me that doesn't necessarily mean 100% sugar free, but it means NO processed convienience foods, all homemade, so that I can control what types of sweeteners and how much go into my foods.

I love chewy candies- that is my biggest weakness, anyone have any sugguestions for that? I'm vowing to give away the small package of airheads that hang out in my car- they're my mindless driving snack- and I can really feel the negative effects it's having on my body.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#39 of 198 Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
I love chewy candies- that is my biggest weakness, anyone have any sugguestions for that? I'm vowing to give away the small package of airheads that hang out in my car- they're my mindless driving snack- and I can really feel the negative effects it's having on my body.
I like chewy candies as well. I don't keep them around because the kids will want them, but I have found that when I am having a craving, dates or dried apricots (I prefer the harder, unsulphered ones) do the trick. I like to eat them with raw almonds, so I get a crunchy, chewy, sweet little treat.
#40 of 198 Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM

I love dates and apricots, and I'll have to get some next time I'm at the store- I do think keeping those in the house (and especially car). Thanks!

The seed you planted is growing.... I'm also going to get a dehydrator- so I can make fruit leathers.

#41 of 198 Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 AM

I made a great sweet treat yesterday. You need a food processor or blender.

1/4 cup raw almonds - grind in a food processor then dump in a bowl
1/3 cup oats - grind in a food processor and dump in the bowl with the almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (i have the finally shredded kind. If not, you'd need to food processor that as well)
2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
1 - 1&1/2 cups dates, pitted and mixed in a food processor
1 medium banana
1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder

mash everything together with a fork (at the end I just used my hands) until well blended then roll into balls and refrigerate. SOOO good.

#42 of 198 Old 02-06-2009, 08:27 AM

that sounds delicious, I'll have to try it.

#43 of 198 Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

That does sound good. I'm having trouble finding dates. when I have gotten them before, they had giant pits in them. My daughter almost choked on one last time we got them, so I've been scared of them.

I really like being sugar-free, but I'm still not losing weight.

#44 of 198 Old 02-07-2009, 02:59 AM

[QUOTE=wendyland;13140523]That does sound good. I'm having trouble finding dates. when I have gotten them before, they had giant pits in them. My daughter almost choked on one last time we got them, so I've been scared of them.

QUOTE]

Yes, they all have pits! Got to remove them first

#45 of 198 Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM

yep- all dates are pitted! To get them out you can squeeze or cut a slit in them. I cut them b/c the flesh gets pretty mushy by squeezing.

I didn't do too well yesterday! I went to class and my teacher had a huge spread of junk- cookies, candies, chocolates.... and I was early!

I only had one piece- of dark chocolate, and I was really proud of myself. But next friday I'm going to bring healthier things for sure!!!!

then I went to a doula meeting, and that 3 small licorice nubs- but they had mollasses, not white sugar, and they were herbal.

s0- I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I did ok.

#46 of 198 Old 02-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Wendyland, I have the same problem. I'm not losing much weight. I started this at 200lbs and lost 5 lbs right away but for the last 3 weeks nothing. I'm a bit bummed because I was envisioning the weight just slipping off. Instead I'm pretty much staying at the same weight. However, I do feel a bit healthier so maybe it's worth it just for that?
#47 of 198 Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empathmom View Post
Wendyland, I have the same problem. I'm not losing much weight. I started this at 200lbs and lost 5 lbs right away but for the last 3 weeks nothing. I'm a bit bummed because I was envisioning the weight just slipping off. Instead I'm pretty much staying at the same weight. However, I do feel a bit healthier so maybe it's worth it just for that?
I've been reading a lot about insulin resistance. It can awhile for the insulin production to get back to a good level. I'm going to keep it up and see what happens.

#48 of 198 Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 PM

so... I've been doing this for about 4 days now, and I'm down a pound!

I'm really proud of myself for sticking weith this!!! And for everyone else too!

however- I promised DH an apple pie a week ago, nad my apples are really looking like they're starting to fade, so I have to do that today. And buy him ice cream to go with. I'm really hoping I can resist it, or at least just have tiny bits at a time, like a bite or two, and no more.

#49 of 198 Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

How'd you do with the apple pie? I had a little soda at my grandmas house today. Otherwise doing well. I'm thinking about doing an elimination diet to see if I'm allergic to anything. I have a lot of issues that I think may be an allergy. Or maybe not. I'd like to know.

#50 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 AM

subbing!!!will update in a bit.:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#51 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM

I nebver did get around to baking it! I was at a birth instead. But I did buy Vanilla ice cream, and it is sitting, unopened in my freezer right now.

#52 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM

im fern...i decided to go sugar free about two weeks ago. i think it may be a bit more than that now. ill have to check the exact date. i posted it in another thread two days after i started.

anyways..so far so good. really really good in fact. i have had a few sugar cravings but when i do i make a cup of hot tea for myself. i bought some yummy organic maple tea and a white honey chai. they dont contain any sweets, just the flavour and with milk its enough of a treat. im finding as days go by that what i really want when im craving something is protien and my b-vitamins! a spoonful of nut butter along with the tea generally fulfills my need.

im finding the simple carbs harder. i got into a bad habbit of eating white basmatti rice(organic though!!) and other white foods because i lived with my sister for 8 months and she isnt nearly as concerned with that sort of thing. its so easy to give in when surrounded by food like that. since she moved out im replacing things like unbleached flour with spelt and rice flour again and the white rice for short grain brown rice, which is so much yummier anyways! i do have some sugar in my home, but i use it for baking for the kids. once it runs out i plan to replace it with xylitol, which ive been using since the summer, but really only a bit since its quite expensive. im not feeling like i really need sweet things, and i dont want to get myself used to the taste of sweet, even if its not bad sweet..if that makes any sense at all.

i have always had food issues. emotional eating, craving sweets and other "bad" foods. its been an upward struggle as long as i can remember. its frustrating mostly because im very health conscious and we eat very healthy generally. i cook most of our meals from scratch and we eat local/organic as much as possible, dont eat much processed foods..but still there is sugar in so much! ive done a few different "diets" not like tryingt o get skinny diets, but healthy eating diets. in general i think that i am healthy, though ive been overweight my whole life pretty much. i think a lot of it stems from my being really sick as a young child on all sorts of medications and steroids for my blood disease. i know that there are lifelong affects to metabolism and who knows what else. im "healthy now" in terms of not having the disease anymore, but i wonder often how my body would be if i hadnt been pumped with all of that shit as a child. i guess ill never know!

so back to the no-sugar... im excited that there is a group of mamas here doing this. im feeling pretty : that i have stuck to my guns for two weeks and dont feel at all like im struggling.

one thing that im doing that seems to really be helping is im taking a chromium suppliment. its supposed to help stabalise blood sugar levels. im not dibetic, but im hypoglycemic. it helps for both. i would suggest it to any of you who are having sugar cravings. it really seems to help with the whole underlying reason for it which is generally a drop in blood sugar.

i havnt read all of the previous posts yet, so im going to do that now..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#53 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
The first few days were really hard. I tried to gradually slow down on the sugar, but I think that actually prolonged the pain. When I did cold turkey last year, I was feeling better much faster.

I allowed myself to eat anything else that I wanted that wasn't sugar or processed foods. I nibbled on cheese and whole grain crackers. I've been eating more nuts than usually. I bought some frozen pineapple chunks and would eat a few of those half frozen.

I just started reading potatoes not prozac last night. She has a method that steps you down gradually. It's also been an eye opening book. She said that a lot of people with sugar sensitivities also have problems with alcohol or have direct family members that do. I don't drink. Mainly because I feel sick immediately afterwards. both of my parents were alcoholics and also had sweet tooths.

I don't think eating a little fruit would make it harder. You may want to stick to fruits that are lower in sugar like berries and apples. At least at first. I think a lot of it is trial and error to see what you can handle.
wendyland: i think you are so right on a few points here. quitting straight out and not slowly is way easier. i decided one day that tomorow im not eating sugar again and its worked. its not easy, but its a lot easier than slowly. i think a bit is enought to make it too hard.

and the connection to sugar and alcohol is so true for me. ive never really been able to drink alcohol without feeling sick after. i get drunk very easily and have bad hangovers. my father and his and my moms father all have issued with adddiction... it probably goes back much farther than that.

ive been avoiding fruit as well. mainly because other than apples in cold storage, fruit isnt readily available at this time of year where i live and im trying to eat locally as much as possible. i ate a tint slice of apple with lemon juice squeezed on it at my kids preschool yesterday and it tasted too sweet. weird, huh. milk also tastes sickly sweet now to me.

Quote:

#54 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Fern, good job making it 2 weeks. I guess I'm at 3 weeks now. I've had a little sugar here and there, but it's still been a great accomplishment for me. I'm still having cravings. I'm thinking about quiting fruit and grans for a week or two to see how I feel. I've also thought about doing an elimination diet, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

#55 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
anyways..so far so good. really really good in fact. i have had a few sugar cravings but when i do i make a cup of hot tea for myself. i bought some yummy organic maple tea and a white honey chai. they dont contain any sweets, just the flavour and with milk its enough of a treat. im finding as days go by that what i really want when im craving something is protien and my b-vitamins! a spoonful of nut butter along with the tea generally fulfills my need.

i have always had food issues. emotional eating, craving sweets and other "bad" foods. its been an upward struggle as long as i can remember. its frustrating mostly because im very health conscious and we eat very healthy generally. i cook most of our meals from scratch and we eat local/organic as much as possible, dont eat much processed foods..but still there is sugar in so much! ive done a few different "diets" not like tryingt o get skinny diets, but healthy eating diets. in general i think that i am healthy, though ive been overweight my whole life pretty much. i think a lot of it stems from my being really sick as a young child on all sorts of medications and steroids for my blood disease.
welcome fern!

I'm doing the same thing- I cup of sweet hot tea with milk and a piece of toast with a nut butter on top when I need sugar. I've hasl a few times had some jam with it- which has only fruit juices and fruits, so no sugars of course. That helps so much.

I have a lot of the same struggles with eating, and having a poor relationship with foods. I'm very much an emotional eater. What has helped me with that is having lots of snacks I can munch guilt free, and substituting emotional eating with some other activity- like a bath or a walk, or knitting.

I think also childhood makes such an impact on our relationship with foods. I am a pantry addict. I do not feel safe at all if I don't have the security of a lot of food in my home- it really is a compulsion. I have that security blanket- that whatever happens, G-d forbid, at least we won't go hungry. And with all that food laying around, it is hard not to overeat sometimes, emotionally.

#56 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
welcome fern!

I'm doing the same thing- I cup of sweet hot tea with milk and a piece of toast with a nut butter on top when I need sugar. I've hasl a few times had some jam with it- which has only fruit juices and fruits, so no sugars of course. That helps so much.

I have a lot of the same struggles with eating, and having a poor relationship with foods. I'm very much an emotional eater. What has helped me with that is having lots of snacks I can munch guilt free, and substituting emotional eating with some other activity- like a bath or a walk, or knitting.

I think also childhood makes such an impact on our relationship with foods. I am a pantry addict. I do not feel safe at all if I don't have the security of a lot of food in my home- it really is a compulsion. I have that security blanket- that whatever happens, G-d forbid, at least we won't go hungry. And with all that food laying around, it is hard not to overeat sometimes, emotionally.
thank you for the warm welcome and the thoughtful reply!! having support is so important when making big life changes.

im like that with my pantry and fridge, though im trying to do more "eat whats here" and not buy food that isnt nourishing and healthy..still it adds up.. im looking forward to getting to know you all better through this. we can all do this!

oh and i wanted to add that ive been taking lots of bach flower remedies of late and they are now marketing an 'emotional eating kit' which is 3 flower remedies.. cherry plum, chestnut bud and crab apple. if anyone wants to know more im happy to help.

Quote:

#57 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Support is so important. My husband has also cut down on sugar. I've been having major cravings. I think they are more psychological than anything. I usually went to work, but went into the office today. Someone brought bunch of treats for valentines day. I had a little bit of a brownie. I do so much better when I'm at home. I went to the library tonight and got some books about glucose and metabolic syndrome to strengthen my resolve. I'm not going to give up this time. My habits are changing for good.

Fern, btw, I went to your blog. Your kids are so cute! I also love the little felt crown that you made.

#58 of 198 Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
Support is so important. My husband has also cut down on sugar. I've been having major cravings. I think they are more psychological than anything. I usually went to work, but went into the office today. Someone brought bunch of treats for valentines day. I had a little bit of a brownie. I do so much better when I'm at home. I went to the library tonight and got some books about glucose and metabolic syndrome to strengthen my resolve. I'm not going to give up this time. My habits are changing for good.

Fern, btw, I went to your blog. Your kids are so cute! I also love the little felt crown that you made.
thats great about your husband! its a lot easier when its a household thing. i dont live with my So but because my kids are so small i dictate most of what they eat..so if i dont want sugar here it wont be here. it makes a huge difference.

thats a hard thing, treats out of the house. so far ive been good. i actually made cookies and banana bread the last few days and didnt eat any, but i took it to share with others, so it wouldnt last too long!

yay for changing habits..just remember it takes time. its not just about the sugar, its about deeply ingrained uncouncious actions and emotions.. nothing like this is ever easy. i remind myself that daily and it makes me feel that much more proud of myself.

what books did you get, just out of curiousity? ive never read anything on this subject, except online.

and thank you for the compliments..

Quote:

#59 of 198 Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 AM

Just popping in to say hi to all.......and to say I think I have a sugar addiction as well. I have PCOS, and I know the symptoms are usually better without sugar. I'm also gluten intolerant, so I'm very strict about that, but sugar seems to creep in. I've been reading through this thread with a plate of chocolate cake in front of me, knowing that I shouldn't be eating it, but I've just wanted it so much today.

So, I'm not sure if I'm ready to completely give it up forever......does anyone else feel this way? I read through the ebook on sugar addiction mentioned in the OP, but it seems like such a huge commitment to say no sugar ever again ever! How do all of you feel about it? Do you think I need to make a commitment like that to break the addiction? There are so many sweet treats that I love, maybe I'm just not ready to give them up. But I do want to be healthier and feel free of the constant cravings. I don't know, I'm just mulling this around in my brain tonight. How do I feel that strong conviction?

Maybe if I could just commit to sugar free for a certain length of time, and then allow myself to reintroduce certain natural sugars......has anyone else approached it like this? Thanks for any supportive ideas you experienced sugar-free-ers have!
#60 of 198 Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmeg View Post
Just popping in to say hi to all.......and to say I think I have a sugar addiction as well. I have PCOS, and I know the symptoms are usually better without sugar. I'm also gluten intolerant, so I'm very strict about that, but sugar seems to creep in. I've been reading through this thread with a plate of chocolate cake in front of me, knowing that I shouldn't be eating it, but I've just wanted it so much today.

So, I'm not sure if I'm ready to completely give it up forever......does anyone else feel this way? I read through the ebook on sugar addiction mentioned in the OP, but it seems like such a huge commitment to say no sugar ever again ever! How do all of you feel about it? Do you think I need to make a commitment like that to break the addiction? There are so many sweet treats that I love, maybe I'm just not ready to give them up. But I do want to be healthier and feel free of the constant cravings. I don't know, I'm just mulling this around in my brain tonight. How do I feel that strong conviction?

Maybe if I could just commit to sugar free for a certain length of time, and then allow myself to reintroduce certain natural sugars......has anyone else approached it like this? Thanks for any supportive ideas you experienced sugar-free-ers have!
I'm not completely sugar free, but I am stongly limiting sugars. I am having some sugar substitutes still, like honey or brown rice syrup (in cliff bars). I'm mainly making sure sugar isn't the main thing in what I'm eating, and that the food with sugars in it is worth it, like I am drinking soymilk- vanilla, for health reasons, so the benefits of that one are outweighing the sugars, which are limited anyhow. I also have an extremly important herbal medication 3x a day, and I'm having a tiny bit of sugar in it if I'm out, honey if I'm home. About 1/2 a tsp.

So- the chocolate cake I would nix, and eat much better things in place of, but if you need to slowly cut things out that is ok too, whatever you are ready for. I would sugguest not eating junk in front of the computer. If you are going to eat cake do so at the table, undesturbed, and slowly. you will eat less, and mindfully that way. oh- and cut your piece in half, b/c of course less is better in this case.

good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page